Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

103 Stage II

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2008 | 06:39 PM
Andy Engemann
Tourer

I have a 2007 RK. I added the Stage II kit at about 2000 miles. I did not replace or have any work done to the heads. I was very impressed by how well it worked with the V&H FuelPak and Ovals...no expensive dyno time. The SE-255 cams really woke the engine up. It now pulls hard starting at about 1800 rpm instead of 2300rpm. I have not put it on a dyno, however, based on the dyno results of my previous scoots, I would say it is somewhere around 85-90 horsepower and 100-105 pounds of torque.

The short version is that if you are looking for high hp numbers, this kit won't make you happy. If you are looking for a lot of extra torque...the Stage II fits the bill perfectly.

Just my opinion!

Andy

Old 10-17-2008 | 07:23 PM
GScotty
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Andy Engemann
I have a 2007 RK. I added the Stage II kit at about 2000 miles. I did not replace or have any work done to the heads. I was very impressed by how well it worked with the V&H FuelPak and Ovals...no expensive dyno time. The SE-255 cams really woke the engine up. It now pulls hard starting at about 1800 rpm instead of 2300rpm. I have not put it on a dyno, however, based on the dyno results of my previous scoots, I would say it is somewhere around 85-90 horsepower and 100-105 pounds of torque.

The short version is that if you are looking for high hp numbers, this kit won't make you happy. If you are looking for a lot of extra torque...the Stage II fits the bill perfectly.

Just my opinion!

Andy
+1 on the 103 Stage II.. I just got mine back from the dealer on Tues. night... I have 175 miles so far..No headwork, just my PC III, Vance & Hines, Arlen Ness Big sucker.. It is like a different bike so far. Of course I have not gone wide open yet, but the bike really wants to pull.. I am very happy so far.. The dealer wants 600 miles before we go on the dyno again for fine tuning.

Old 10-21-2008 | 07:24 PM
Sojat
Stage IV

Talk to your dealer because I was about to do a 103 kit and add in the ACR heads myself. Come to find out, they dropped them off of the available parts list.

However, the upside is that there is a very well priced SE kit (assuming you are wanting to stick with SE parts) that has all the normal 103 parts, plus heads, a larger throttle body and the race tuner all rolled into the package.

I'd recommend going with a heavy breather or similar with this kit because of the larger throttle body will want more air.

Fuel mileage ? Heh... if you want mileage, don't boost teh inches. More inches means more fuel/air needed to run. Simple math. However, in my opinion even the worst mileage on a bike beats the best car out there. I don't think I'll be seeing any of the bybrids pulling 9 seconds in the quarter any time soon either. LOL

Sojat

Old 10-22-2008 | 07:23 AM
Trippie
|
Advanced

Yeah, the new SE parts have a Stage I, II, III, IV (103")
I'm thinking of going with the III. as it produces better torque numbers lower in the RPM's. Been watching my shift points carefully the last couple days and it looks like I would like the peak @ about 3800RPM. Stage III peaks at 4K @ about 108-109 ft lbs. Now, thats thier kit set up with a lot of open questions, ie Pipes, A/C, mapping, etc..
Fat Cats on the way, SE heavy breather on the way also.....
Suppose to snow Sunday.........

Old 10-22-2008 | 08:27 AM
rochkes
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by GliderXXX
Hey I know it's windy out there in Wyoming, but who the heck told you not to ride below 3000 rpm on the highway?? That's a new one.
That is very common advice from most of the techs who work on the twin cam motors. They perform the best with the best milage and longest life when cruising at 3,000 rpms.

It was a hard concept for me to accept, but my bike gets better milage at 3,000 rpms in 5th gear than it does at 2,300 rpms in 6th gear, even on level roads.

Dennis

Old 10-24-2008 | 07:21 AM
leafman60
Road Captain

Headwork almost always gives a boost only in the higher rpm range.

Old 10-24-2008 | 08:32 AM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by leafman60
Headwork almost always gives a boost only in the higher rpm range.
Thats not always true. I had my evo heads done and the power band was 1200-5000, The machinist said its all how its done to get different power outputs

Old 10-24-2008 | 09:10 AM
harley1005
Tourer
Default 103 Big Bore

I did the 103 Big Bore kit at time of purchase on my 2008 Street Glide. Kept the Stock Heads, went with 211/ 508 lift cams, SE Air Cleaner Kit and 2:1 Super Trapp Exhaust. Dynoed out at 100 hp and 112 ft. lbs. torque. I don't worry about the fuel milage. If so, I would have kept the bike stock. Just took the bike on two road trips. One was to the Myrtle Beach Fall Rally (which sucked) and the other was to Biketoberfest in Daytona Beach (which was awesome). The bike performed great, but did run hot a couple times (260*), for a short period when going to Daytona and crusing for long periods of time at 85+ mph. The air temperature was around 85* at this time. I am running a HD Oil Cooler and thinking about adding a JAGG 10 Row Oil Cooler before next Summer. My dealer did tell me that, "The 260* would not hurt the motor" though. However, I am not comfortable running temperatures that high. What are some of your thoughts on that?

Old 10-24-2008 | 09:37 AM
gmc
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by rochkes
That is very common advice from most of the techs who work on the twin cam motors. They perform the best with the best milage and longest life when cruising at 3,000 rpms.

It was a hard concept for me to accept, but my bike gets better milage at 3,000 rpms in 5th gear than it does at 2,300 rpms in 6th gear, even on level roads.

Dennis
It kinda defeats the idea of having a 6 speed, 80 mph = 2800 RPM. It's funny HD can't seem to produce enough HP-TQ for the 6 speed to pull from 60 MPH and we have to spend spend spend to get these to run right. Now the 09 reduced gearing, WTF.

Old 10-24-2008 | 09:49 AM
Donnylee
Stellar HDF Member

I also run the 211s only in a 96. Made a big difference even without adding the inches. 88HP 98 Torque. Bassani Power Curve, Reinhart Slip ons, SERT, not bad for doing nothing else being to the engine! I think I will wear out the first top end I already paid for.

Originally Posted by harley1005
I did the 103 Big Bore kit at time of purchase on my 2008 Street Glide. Kept the Stock Heads, went with 211/ 508 lift cams, SE Air Cleaner Kit and 2:1 Super Trapp Exhaust. Dynoed out at 100 hp and 112 ft. lbs. torque. I don't worry about the fuel milage. If so, I would have kept the bike stock. Just took the bike on two road trips. One was to the Myrtle Beach Fall Rally (which sucked) and the other was to Biketoberfest in Daytona Beach (which was awesome). The bike performed great, but did run hot a couple times (260*), for a short period when going to Daytona and crusing for long periods of time at 85+ mph. The air temperature was around 85* at this time. I am running a HD Oil Cooler and thinking about adding a JAGG 10 Row Oil Cooler before next Summer. My dealer did tell me that, "The 260* would not hurt the motor" though. However, I am not comfortable running temperatures that high. What are some of your thoughts on that?

Quick Reply: 103 Stage II