Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

103 Stage II

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2008 | 09:20 AM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member

Originally Posted by Trippie
I just downloaded the "new" SE cataloge. I am now looking at the stage III kit. Still run the heavy breather and the D&D Fats. These don't seem like horrible #'s for a bolt on kit..
How about a link for the new" SE cataloge
Jim

Old 10-17-2008 | 12:43 PM
mikedmeyer
Cruiser

http://www.harley-davidson.com/en_US...ng/US_SE_P.pdf
Warning: It's 47 MB and requires Adobe Acrobat reader.

Old 10-17-2008 | 01:45 PM
mrdeere1959
Advanced

I had the 103 stageII done when the bike was new. 08 ultra. the dealer did the flash. This summer with 11000 miles the rear piston melted. It now has a tuner and seems to run much better than before. Other than having to wait a month to get it back everything was covered by my dealer even the tuner and a touch lower gear for the primary which they will put in this winter. I was told not to run below 3000 rpm while cruising down the highway. I dont have dyno numbers as my bike wont fit in the dyno room.

Old 10-17-2008 | 02:33 PM
GliderXXX
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by mrdeere1959
I had the 103 stageII done when the bike was new. 08 ultra. the dealer did the flash. This summer with 11000 miles the rear piston melted. It now has a tuner and seems to run much better than before. Other than having to wait a month to get it back everything was covered by my dealer even the tuner and a touch lower gear for the primary which they will put in this winter. I was told not to run below 3000 rpm while cruising down the highway. I dont have dyno numbers as my bike wont fit in the dyno room.
Hey I know it's windy out there in Wyoming, but who the heck told you not to ride below 3000 rpm on the highway?? That's a new one.

Old 10-17-2008 | 02:36 PM
hogbag07
Road Captain

I just had my 07 motor built with 103 cast pistons and Andrews 54h cams with +4 timing ,SEAC, S&S mufflers SERT etc. The bike pulls hard from 2000 rpm in any gear but the 6 gear roll on's is where it surprised me.Theres plenty of grunt for passing with out down changing through the gears. Its a sleeper that will cruise all day at low rpm and will fly when you get on the gas.

Last edited by hogbag07; 10-17-2008 at 11:39 PM.
Old 10-17-2008 | 02:56 PM
HOOSIER
Intermediate

I just downloaded the "new" SE cataloge. I am now looking at the stage III kit. Still run the heavy breather and the D&D Fats. These don't seem like horrible #'s for a bolt on kit..
I recently found those kits in the new book and thought the same thing..

Old 10-17-2008 | 03:16 PM
Trippie
|
Advanced

Yeah, not looking for arm ripping power... just want to line up next to two EG i ride with (88") and at least hold some respect...
I got the offer out to 4 Dealers and I will see which one comes back with the best $'s. I think the Stage III will work, and if I am not happy, I only have to suffer till next winter......

Last edited by Trippie; 10-17-2008 at 03:18 PM.
Old 10-17-2008 | 03:29 PM
bagman1
Grand HDF Member

Originally Posted by Buddha96
I'm probably going to be the only one that is going to tell you this, but I always try to be straight up with any opinions I give.

I had an 07 that I put the 103 in. I did the SE heads, roller rockers with supports, SERT, 255 cams, Fat Cat, 90 degree high flow air cleaner, etc. It was about $4,000.00 worth of work and goodies. In my mind, it never delivered what I had hoped for. And maybe I wasn't being realistic about what the finished product was going to be, but it wasn't the right tool for me.

The gas mileage, in my opinion, sucked. After doing a careful tune on the bike, a couple of times, the bike would average 33 mpg on the highway at normal cruising speeds running solo with no gear. 2 up and any head wind at all would push it as low as 29. Granted, if I would have had a 6 gallon tank it would have helped a little, but where I live, there are loops where that kind of fuel range was useless. I did a 4000 mile vacation this year with two other Road Kings. One was an 01 with a 95 injected and the other was a stock, carbed 04. Both bikes got better mileage than I did, at all times, in all conditions. And when I took a run at the 95ci just to prove that more cubic inches is always a good thing, he handed me my ***.

As far as how the bike ran, it ran hard and quick above 3000 rpm, all the way to redline. But that isn't where I was trying to run most of the time. Having a 6 speed and a motor that only pulled hard above 3000 was kind of self defeating, for me. And my seat of the pants dyno never felt that the 103 was ever any better than the 96 at getting the bike off the line.

Long story short.....I won't break down another motor without going at least 110. And it will be built from the ground up for torque. Like I said, that is just my experience and I am not trying push you away from the 103, just offering another opinion.

Good luck.
It sounds like your engine was built for top end riding, which most people dont ride at that range.
A few years ago I had to go thru my evo fatboy, I had a few different builder tell me how they would build it for me. Like welding up the heads and doing full porting etc etc etc. I found an old school builder who has done nothing but HD's for 40 years. These full blown ports with certain cams were good from 3500-6500 rpms. So in short I built the engine to where the hp/ and torque came right up at 1100 tpms and tapered off at 4200. My mileage went from 38 to 50 while cruising and down to 30 when hot rodding. My point being Some builders go off the chart when designing someones engine.
My 07 RG has a 103 that puts out 108/113tq, with stock heads just a little polishing (no porting), slight head mill, true duals and I get 43 mpg cruising 80-90 mph. I have about 14k on it and no issues. I couldnt be happier, but personally I would have liked some porting for the sound but Im happy. All this for about $2400 including Kuryakin true duals and head pipes (900 add on).

Old 10-17-2008 | 04:59 PM
HOOSIER
Intermediate

Yeah, not looking for arm ripping power... just want to line up next to two EG i ride with (88") and at least hold some respect...
I got the offer out to 4 Dealers and I will see which one comes back with the best $'s. I think the Stage III will work, and if I am not happy, I only have to suffer till next winter......

My dealer told me $850-$900 to install the Stage III. That does not include dyno/tuning.

Old 10-17-2008 | 05:03 PM
lkr0
Elite HDF Member

that is not out of range -- I paid $1000 for HQs 107 install

Originally Posted by HOOSIER
My dealer told me $850-$900 to install the Stage III. That does not include dyno/tuning.

Quick Reply: 103 Stage II