Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

great article on..........

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2008, 06:55 PM
xcelr8
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Harley says the optimum oil temp is 220-230, which is exactly where mine is all of the time. I live in South Florida (hot) and the only time it will go to 240-245 is when I'm in stop and go traffic. Measured with the LCD dipstick (crankcase oil).

No oil cooler.

Can't remember where I read it, but I believe HD also states that keeping the temp in the 180 range is actually detrimental to the engine.

Which raises the question to those owners who swear by the need for a cooler, why not add the new ($$$$$$$$) definitives oil filtration system as well? Or the Parade fan? Or the new Baker +1 oil pan?

Last edited by xcelr8; 10-17-2008 at 04:13 PM.
Old 10-15-2008, 07:04 PM
themensh
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

Answer to guy wondering how to lower his fatboy oil temp from 240-250 degrees
(posted in American Iron magazine, May 08)

"Why do you want to lower the oil temperature? Those temps are right on the money, and I wouldn't worry about them at all...If you can ride at 90 MPH for hours on end, and it doesn't get hotter than than 250 degrees, be happy."

I ride in Florida,,,,,high daytime temps, high humidity......my oil never got up to 250 degrees. Highest I saw it was 245 while I was waiting at a draw bridge for two sail boats to go by.
I no longer worry about oil temps. Keep the oil changed at or before sceduled intervals......good to go.

Chuck

Last edited by themensh; 10-15-2008 at 07:06 PM.
Old 10-16-2008, 07:44 PM
robandlyn
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MNPGRider
I would definitely suspect a bad sending unit on your temp gauge. It's very hard to believe you are going to lose 110 degrees between your hot engine and oil filter/cooler. In re-reading Donny's American Iron article, he is happy to get a 20 degree reduction, running oil through a cooler, getting the oil down to 200 degrees gonig back into the engine.

I was thinking about this last night....I bet what is happening is that the thermostat in the adapter has not yet opened, so you are reading "cold oil" temps in the line between your filter and cooler. Go for a longer ride on a hotter day and see what happens, or move the sending unit to the bottom of the front of the engine where it's supposed to go.
NO ..... I do not think the sender is bad. The thermostat is on the "IN" side of the cooler
and it does not open until 180 degrees (from what I was told at the HD dealership).
So what I was thinking is the oil cools to BELOW the 180 degree mark before it gets there.
So it bypasses the cooler and the other temp sensor on the "OUT" side of the cooler,
and then goes to the oil filter. So it is only dropping 40 degrees from when it returns
from the engine to the oil cooler. Looking at my service manual at the oil routing they
show it does seam possible, remember the air temps here are only in the high 60's.
The following is from the manual ....
The oil goes into the rear of the oil pan and then the baffle plates slow the circulation
of the oil through the pan to enhance cooling. From there is goes into the cam area to
the oil pump and then onto the oil filter or oil cooler.
Rob .....

Old 10-16-2008, 08:36 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

I don't ride in the Texas heat too much anymore but when I do, I just fee a little bit better with the oil cooler working for me. That enging gets really HOT when riding and the afternoon temperature hits 105*-115* in the shade and there AINT no shade.

Old 10-16-2008, 09:03 PM
captjon37
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I didn't get an oil cooler to reduce the oil temp because i thought it was too high. I just figured they already know more about that than me so i would not worry about it. Besides, i just ride the crap out of it and if it breaks they will fix it or i will get a new 1. I put an oil cooler on to reduce the temp of my legs and it worked and no article can tell me different.

Old 10-16-2008, 11:02 PM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

If you are reading this thread before you decide whether to get a cooler . . . just do it. All 96" Twin Cams should have an oil cooler in my opinion.

Now, if you don't believe me, that is your business. I would rather have my oil running at 190 than 230. On top of that, oil temps go up dramatically in "go slow" situations. With a cooler, the oil cools off much quicker once you get moving.

Why do you think HD puts coolers on all their CVO bikes?

Also, I emailed Donny P. and he relied that he has a cooler on his RG. That's enough for me.
Steve

Old 10-16-2008, 11:14 PM
MrDoo
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

May not be necessary, but there is no way a quality oil cooler, with a thermostat, could be harmful.
+1. Unless you are using a unit that does not allow enough flow through, starving your engine for oil, there is no way an oil cooler could be a bad idea.

Old 10-17-2008, 04:18 PM
xcelr8
Road Master

Last 2 posts are dead wrong. The optimum oil temp (per HD) is 220-230.

Regarding the question regarding why they put oil coolers on CVO bikes, the answer is "to promote their accessories". Just like adding the hydraulic clutch, or the myriad of other goodies that do nothing.

Old 10-17-2008, 06:44 PM
captjon37
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yea, but who's gonna listen to a guy with a bike that color?

Old 10-17-2008, 07:02 PM
xcelr8
Road Master

Originally Posted by captjon37
Yea, but who's gonna listen to a guy with a bike that color?
everyone with a brain and good taste.

BTW......here's my last 2 bikes. 65% of Harleys are black, so being different was the way to go.

.....and the new ride........

Last edited by xcelr8; 10-17-2008 at 07:59 PM.

Quick Reply: great article on..........