Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Loud Ticking Sound from Engine

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 06:16 AM
UH60Hwkdrvr
Road Captain
Received 64 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Loud Ticking Sound from Engine

Hello All,

I am stationed in South Korea and just received my bike today. After spending three months on the boat to Korea, it now is making a very loud ticking sound. I took it around the block then shut her down. The sound SEEMS to originate from the left side of the engine and only from the front cylinder. The only prep for shipment was to remove all of the gasoline and change the oil. Any suggestions? Do you think something has gotten gummed up from the lack of riding? Perhaps after running it a few minutes it might clear up or do you think I might cause some serious harm to the engine?

Any help would be appreciated.

m.a.c.

Last resort will be taking it to the dealer. Small communication problem with the locals.

Old 10-14-2008, 06:25 AM
ElectraGlideSteve
Road Warrior
Received 93 Likes on 61 Posts

I would try the simple things yourself first. Check all fluid levels, paying most attention to the oil level (any leaks, filter tight?). Pull the plugs and check, making sure the plug wires haven't loosened during shipping, replace plugs if necessary, then go from there.

Old 10-14-2008, 06:36 AM
cmcsns
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I can relate to the "Last" resort of going to the dealer! I'm in Manila and we don't have a "Dealer" here, BUT, we have plenty of shoemakers! I would try running it a bit, making sure it's warmed up. How's your oil pressure?

Old 10-14-2008, 06:48 AM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts

This is going to sound goofy - and I was a little embarrassed - but I had a similar ticking noise. It seemed to be coming from the front of the engine somewhere and would increase when I revved the engine. I thought it was a valve or something similar. Took it to my dealer so he could listen to it. He listened, nodded his head, and then disappeared for a few minutes. Came back with a couple of 1/4 inch square pieces of sticky foam and placed them on the inside of the fuel filler door. It was rattling against the console! Voila! Noise abated! And get ready for this.... - didn't even charge me!

Old 10-14-2008, 07:11 AM
timvan
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pastor John
And get ready for this.... - didn't even charge me!
WOW what dealer was this?

Old 10-14-2008, 09:06 AM
2005UltraNC
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does it sound like the top end? If so, possibilly oil not getting to the front cylinder top end. Very good chance that after warmed up would start to flow. But, then again, something could have gotten in and clogged up an oil passage.

Old 10-14-2008, 09:11 AM
rkride
Cruiser

I am glad to see another enthusiast here in Korea. I do my riding from Osan. The HD dealer has two people that speak pretty good english, ask for either Johnny or Jennifer. The downside is and I am sure that everyone will get a kick out of this is that they charge 70,000 won per hour labor for working on american owned Harleys compared to 40,000 won for korean owned Harleys. I had them do my 1000 mile checkup and they took over 4 hours. Unfortuneatly for us here in Korea, we are limited in getting qualified repair work. We also have Bison Choppers here at osan who primarily manufactors frames for export but builds custom bikes on the side and he is pretty good

Old 10-14-2008, 09:12 AM
meyergsr
Cruiser

Lifter probably bled down from shipping.

Old 10-14-2008, 10:04 AM
gmc
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

After being on a boat for three months it needs it's legs streched. I bet with others it just needs to be ridden and make sure it doesn't get louder. How many miles on the 08? The oil needs to get circulated again as others have said.

Old 10-14-2008, 03:41 PM
UH60Hwkdrvr
Road Captain
Received 64 Likes on 16 Posts

Thanks for all of the responses! Wow, the Americans get charged more for labor? 70,000 Won an hour is just like taking your bike to American shop and paying $60 an hour.

The bike only has 4500 miles on it and was running fine the day they crated it. I will run her around the block a few times and see if it helps. If not, then off to the dealer.

Not related to this, but the movers Stateside tore up my bike. They used rough packing paper to protect the paint! They tore up the right saddlebag, scratched the paint on the tank, fairing and front fender. These items will get fixed, however, but not without a whole lot of pain on my part. Paperwork drill and the hassle of getting the items replaced or painted. Anyone know of a good painter in Korea?

Thanks,

m.a.c.

Quick Reply: Loud Ticking Sound from Engine