Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need some advice...

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2008, 12:53 AM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Need some advice...

Ok folks. I need some more advice. As some of you may know, I finally installed those 95" BB cylinders and pistons, along with the SE 204 cams. The bike is running great, but I am thinking I can get a bit more out of my bike, without spending a bunch more money. First, I still have the stock CV 40mm carb. I installed the thunderlide kit into it, and it runs really well, and I didn't even drop much in MPG. One of my questions is, should I go with a 42mm Mikuni, a 45mm Mikuni, or the 44mm CV SE carb? I don't want to put the 45 on, and have to much carb, and I don't want to run the 42mm, and not have enough. I have never run a mikuni, but hear that it is a great carb, but I have been really happy with my CV, and would not mind sticking with them, just go to the 44mm. I once read that the CV really does a great job when riding several different elevations, whereas the mikuni may run rough when riding in an elevation that it is not set up for. Any thoughts on what I should run? I currently have the SE backplate, and run the K & N element, and I would like to stay with that. Are any of those carbs NOT compatable with the backplate/element?

Secondly, when I did the build, all I did was pull the heads, slap the jugs/pistons on, swap out the cams, and put the heads back on (with the .030 Cometic Head gasket). I did not port/polish, work the heads, at all. What should I have done to the heads to realize all of the work I have done? I want to keep my stock heads (to save money), but need to have them worked. What do I need to have done, and who does the best job, for the least amount of money? With winter hitting, I will wait until it gets to cold to ride daily (but I never really put the bike down as I ride it as often as I can), but the turn around time is not that big of a deal. I don't mind waiting, as long as I am getting a good result.

Thanks for any thoughts you all might have. I am so excited, and proud of myself,that I was able to do the work I have all by myself. I had one little hiccup, but once I tore the bike back down, I realized where I screwed up right away. Now, doing the heads is something I am not even going to try and accomplish< lol. I think I did fairly well, but know my limitations (some times, LOL)

BTW, how the heck do I get my bike back in my sig without having to click it???

Old 10-14-2008, 09:24 AM
blueflht
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

look at gmr racing. they have a very intense head work for around 850 this will really wake up your build. they can also help you carb choices. i would wait on the carb till the head work is done

Old 10-14-2008, 09:37 AM
BadPiggy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Best advice I can give...if it runs good, LEAVE IT ALONE!
Was gonna drop a set of HQ cams and punch out my brother's scoot to a 95"er.
After installing a Thunderslide in his CV carb and a set of FatCats with a hi-flo breather...that's the best running touring bike I've ever been on.
My brother agrees...so we're leaving it alone.

His scoot is a '99 FLHT, Standard.

Old 10-14-2008, 10:03 PM
PapaTravis
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Trust me, I have thought about just leaving the bike alone, but I really want to make the most of what improvements I have done. Anyone else have advice on who I should use to work my heads? I heard of a company, Big boys, I think. Anyone have any experience with them?

Old 10-14-2008, 10:39 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,233 Likes on 1,847 Posts

I used Big Boyz when I did my 95 build on my 04. They were reasonable and Bean was great to deal with. I had them port and polish and give me 9.5:1 compression for my 26g cam that I used. I had also used the .030 and SE flattops. I was happy with it.