Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

TWR Missing link install

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 11:00 PM
kpb46
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TWR Missing link install HELP??

UPS dropped it off today while I was gone. Got home this afternnon and decided I'd tackle it. First off the unit looks A-1..very nice piece. Anyway followed the directions to the letter (I thought). For the life of me I could NOT get the exhaust pipe out of the way. Pipe was loose at the jug, all heat shields were removed as directed, all clamps loosened or removed. mufflers dropped, passenger board removed. That thing would not go down out of the way. What did I miss? I got it installed but it was a serious PITA with the pipe in the way. Have read lots of posts here that said they installed it in a hour or so. I would have sure liked to have one of those guys helping me. Anyway, all buttoned up and waiting for a test drive. If this thing works as good as it was made I will be in for a real treat.

Ken

Last edited by kpb46; 10-13-2008 at 11:48 PM. Reason: add info
Old 10-14-2008, 12:54 AM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kpb46
UPS dropped it off today while I was gone. Got home this afternnon and decided I'd tackle it. First off the unit looks A-1..very nice piece. Anyway followed the directions to the letter (I thought). For the life of me I could NOT get the exhaust pipe out of the way. Pipe was loose at the jug, all heat shields were removed as directed, all clamps loosened or removed. mufflers dropped, passenger board removed. That thing would not go down out of the way. What did I miss? I got it installed but it was a serious PITA with the pipe in the way. Have read lots of posts here that said they installed it in a hour or so. I would have sure liked to have one of those guys helping me. Anyway, all buttoned up and waiting for a test drive. If this thing works as good as it was made I will be in for a real treat.

Ken
Not sure why you had difficulty. I've installed 2 units and didn't have a hard time. The first was on my Road Glide with true duals while the second was on an Ultra with stock exhaust.

Anyway, sounds like you got it on. I'm sure you will be happy with the way your bike handles. Be sure to post a report.

This thread might help others who read this and need help:
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/showt...g+link+install

Steve

Last edited by sifularson; 10-14-2008 at 12:56 AM.
Old 10-14-2008, 01:16 AM
Medicfrost
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Ken
I had to remove my exhaust for the install. Loosening wasn't enough for me either. Took 1 1/2 hours for my install. You'll be happy with the results.

Old 10-14-2008, 02:11 AM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member

Did you remove the bracket under the trans? That is the most important one. If your using Rinehart TD's then there is a shim you need to put in between that bracket and the pipe itself. I installed mine in 1.5 hours from the time I opened the box to the time I was washing my hands.

I like the TWR, and I also like the Ride Str8, and the Bagger Brace all of these have a good design as far as I am concerned. I got the TWR for less than the others thats why I bought it. My 08 Street Glide is like a new bike now. No more of that feeling like your rear tire is going flat, or the wallowing through fast corners. The bike just feels much more stable and predictable. I should have bought it the day after I took delivery!

Old 10-14-2008, 06:21 PM
Skivvy9r
Tourer
Thumbs up

Ken
Ken,
I got mine last week and had the same struggle with the stock pipes. The instructions say to have another person push the pipe out of the way while you bolt on the bracket. Unfortunately it was just me, so it took a little while. No way could I fit my torque wrench on the lower bolt with the pipe in the way. Other than that the install was straight forward and the results excellent. I've never experienced "the wobble", but always felt the bike was loose. Wind coming off big rigs always made the ride interesting. With the TWR installed, the ride felt really solid. I purposely got behind a few trucks and did not get pushed around as I had previously. It's like a different (better) bike. Overall, the performance envelope was significantly expanded with this upgrade. Color me satisfied.

Paul

Old 10-14-2008, 09:00 PM
kpb46
Road Master

Originally Posted by Skivvy9r
Ken,
I got mine last week and had the same struggle with the stock pipes. The instructions say to have another person push the pipe out of the way while you bolt on the bracket. Unfortunately it was just me, so it took a little while. No way could I fit my torque wrench on the lower bolt with the pipe in the way. Other than that the install was straight forward and the results excellent. I've never experienced "the wobble", but always felt the bike was loose. Wind coming off big rigs always made the ride interesting. With the TWR installed, the ride felt really solid. I purposely got behind a few trucks and did not get pushed around as I had previously. It's like a different (better) bike. Overall, the performance envelope was significantly expanded with this upgrade. Color me satisfied.

Paul
I had my wife (110 LBS) pushing down on the back with no success. Then I tried it (285) and I did no better. Was to the point I was afraid of breaking something. Please understand that I am NOT knocking the product in anyway. I was just wondering how some guys zipped right thru the install and I had such a hard time.

Old 10-15-2008, 07:10 PM
Skivvy9r
Tourer

I had my wife (110 LBS) pushing down on the back with no success. Then I tried it (285) and I did no better. Was to the point I was afraid of breaking something. Please understand that I am NOT knocking the product in anyway. I was just wondering how some guys zipped right thru the install and I had such a hard time.
I hear you. Someone else suggested just take off the exhaust from the get go. I kept loosening fittings, pushing, loosen some more, push some more until I got it. Probably would have been faster just to take it off. Still, the results were well worth the effort.

Old 10-15-2008, 10:30 PM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Did you loosen the tranmission clamp on the rear header pipe. If you don't do that, the rear pipe won't drop down. I used a long extension and 1/2" wobbly socket to remove the nut from the stud. I also loosened the exhaust clamp that holds it all together. Hope this makes sense to those that are having a hard time. Let me know.
Steve

Old 10-15-2008, 10:38 PM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by sifularson
Did you loosen the tranmission clamp on the rear header pipe. If you don't do that, the rear pipe won't drop down. I used a long extension and 1/2" wobbly socket to remove the nut from the stud. I also loosened the exhaust clamp that holds it all together. Hope this makes sense to those that are having a hard time. Let me know.
Steve

I asked him the same question like 4 replies up......he never said if he removed the bracket at the trans or not........oh well. It only took me as long as it takes to loosen up the RS exhaust and install the brace....I guess about 1.5 hr. with plenty of phone calls, and cigarettes and coffee brakes.

Old 10-16-2008, 10:39 PM
kpb46
Road Master

Are you guys talking about the clamp that bolts to a bracket using a short carriage just below the trans ? If so, yes I took the clamp completely loose and moved it off the bracket