Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dyno result and screamin eagle clutch question

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 10:28 PM
Traceman
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Dyno result and screamin eagle clutch question

I put my cams that I got from Scott at Hillside Cycles in Friday night and it has been a great improvement. After talking with Bob Woods and Scott (great guys by the way!) I decided to go with the Woods TW6G gear drive cam set-up on my mostly stock 88" motor. I have Rineharts, SE air cleaner, and Power Commander only.

I took it to Rods Performance in Cullman today and with a badly slipping clutch it ran 79 HP and 87 TQ. Rod thought that was pretty good numbers considering the slippage and seemed impressed that I got everything in there and set-up right. My compression is only 162#'s on both cylinders so it won't be long I guess before I do the heads and cylinders. Rod is a great guy by the way and was very knowledgeable and even gave my girlfriend a christmas wish list of items I will need. LOL

He is suggesting that I get the Screamin Eagle performance clutch kit and SE spring. I know the VPC is the hot item right now but it is a little pricy. What are anyones thoughts on his suggestion? I have adjusted this stock clutch several times and it has 41k miles on it now so probably needs replaced anyway.

Thanks forum for giving me the courage and tips to install these cams. I saved a ton of money!

Last edited by Traceman; 10-13-2008 at 10:33 PM.
Old 10-14-2008, 07:03 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,239 Likes on 1,850 Posts

The SE spring will help the slipping if the engine is putting out more power, but if you have a stock motor and especially with those numbers it doesn't sound like that is the issue. You shouldn't be having that slipping with just cams. I have the 96" and cams and don't need to use an SE spring. If you do use the SE spring consider changing out the ramps on your 04 to the 06 and later ramps to help ease the pull.

Old 10-14-2008, 07:18 AM
ken thompson
The Schlong Man
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I believe high performance clutch parts come with the SE 95" stage II kit which puts out about the same numbers. HD obviously feels the need at 79 HP and 87 TQ.

Old 10-14-2008, 08:45 AM
Traceman
Road Captain

Originally Posted by dawg
The SE spring will help the slipping if the engine is putting out more power, but if you have a stock motor and especially with those numbers it doesn't sound like that is the issue. You shouldn't be having that slipping with just cams. I have the 96" and cams and don't need to use an SE spring. If you do use the SE spring consider changing out the ramps on your 04 to the 06 and later ramps to help ease the pull.

Well I do have 41000 hard riding miles so the clutch may have already been on the edge. It is definitely slipping now since he loaded it on the dyno. I will add the ramps and lube the cable good that is for sure.

Old 10-14-2008, 03:52 PM
rodeking
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I agree with Traceman, Rod does a great job and is very savvy about harleys. He put the same cams in my 07 and my friends 08 and there is no clutch problems. Harold Foster @ Foster HD put a bore kit and cams in my 03 RKC but did not put in the SE spring because he said it was not needed and it never slipped during the 32,000 miles I rode it.

Old 10-27-2008, 08:24 AM
Traceman
Road Captain

Well I put the Screamin Eagle clutch in and a K&N filter and took it back to Rod's to run it again.

New numbers are 84.6 HP and 96 tq

I don't think that is bad at all.
04 Ultra 43000 miles.
88" motor
Rineharts
PC III
Stage 1
Woods TW 6-6 cams with gear drive

Now to find someone good to do the heads and bore it our. I should easily go over a 100 HP and TQ.

My buddy who was with me ran his 07 Dyna and his numbers were 75 hp and 85 tq.
He has only done stage 1 and Bigshots with PC III but of course he has a bigger motor.

Old 10-27-2008, 08:34 AM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If the pull is too hard for your liking with the SE clutch spring, you could also buy the HD Reduced effort clutch kit, and just use the ramp from the kit and not the lighter spring. So you will still have a stronger SE spring in there, but the pull on the lever will stay just about normal with the softer ramp.

Old 10-27-2008, 11:39 AM
Traceman
Road Captain

Originally Posted by biz44
If the pull is too hard for your liking with the SE clutch spring, you could also buy the HD Reduced effort clutch kit, and just use the ramp from the kit and not the lighter spring. So you will still have a stronger SE spring in there, but the pull on the lever will stay just about normal with the softer ramp.
Yeah,
I picked one of those up but it did not have any instructions with it. Rod at the performance shop showed me how the ramp goes in so I guess I can get that together this week. It will be a welcome addition. The clutch is pretty tight.