Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rider backrest on '09 Ultra

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 07:13 PM
andrewj
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rider backrest on '09 Ultra

I was hoping to install the rider backrest on my 09 Ultra, but was wondering if anyone had any experience with the various styles. The ones I am looking at are the comfort stitch, vinyl or all leather. I have the stock seat and was only going to get the manually adjustable back rest as I am told it can be easily removed and can still be adjusted to four different positions as well as being moved forward to allow the passenger to get on and off. Anyone have any experience with these backrests? Thanks

Old 10-13-2008, 07:19 PM
FLTR2008TRIKE
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Heres my 2 cents
1) the comfort stich will match your seat, but I had to replace the button several times over the years on my old ultra
2) Leather looks great, but requires constant protectant especially if your riding in the rain, otherwise it gets a worn look to it. Thats not a bad thing but most people want it to stay black
3) smooth naugahyde is the easiest to take care of, its durable and doesnt wear out as easily

Old 10-13-2008, 07:38 PM
tima
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had the adjustable on order for a month, got the one to match the stock seat. The local dealer tells me they won't be released from the factory until the 20th of October. I've whined about this on a couple of threads. (sorry guys) I'll post when/if I ever get the darned thing.

Old 10-13-2008, 07:56 PM
Deepsouth251
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by andrewj
I was hoping to install the rider backrest on my 09 Ultra, but was wondering if anyone had any experience with the various styles. The ones I am looking at are the comfort stitch, vinyl or all leather. I have the stock seat and was only going to get the manually adjustable back rest as I am told it can be easily removed and can still be adjusted to four different positions as well as being moved forward to allow the passenger to get on and off. Anyone have any experience with these backrests? Thanks
Like FLTR2008TRIKE said the comfort stitch goes with your seat. I as a personal option would go with the smooth as I just prefer it, seems most of the comfort stitch backrests I've seen lately have puckers on the corners. Don't know for sure but HD may have changed vendors. Take a look at my pic, the back rest on mine is off of my 2006 Road King. Since the hardware is purchased seperately now from the backrest itself, I got the hardware and just for grins and giggles tried my RK backrest in it and it fit perfectly. I really did it to use as temporary until I could get a new one but it fits so well and the black RK studs really look good with the black bike I think I'm going to leave it.

Last edited by Deepsouth251; 10-13-2008 at 08:00 PM.
Old 10-13-2008, 09:18 PM
andrewj
Advanced
Default thanks for the quick reply

FLTR2008 & Deepsouth251..I was wondering about the comfort as well. It seems that I wouldnt feel any of the imperfections with the stitching on the comfort stitch, and the vinyl would be smoother on the back? I would rather have comfort over matching the comfort stitch back rest with the seat!? thanks for the pic with the backrest!

Old 10-13-2008, 09:26 PM
The Old Man
Road Master

I have a 08 EGC. I research things to death and ended up with a MUSTANG back rest. Works very well and it pivots and is adjustable so it acts like a lumbar support. Used it on a 1000 mile weekend and had no back pain at all. Price is about the same as HD, looks good and you'll hve it in a couple of days. Check it out here. http://www.mustangseats.com/virtual_.../source/7.html

Old 10-13-2008, 09:26 PM
FLTR2008TRIKE
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have a Mustang seat with a smooth backrest that I use at times. I recently bought a bag from Saddleman that sits on the passenger seat that gives me back support for long trips. ( I have to carry a stool to aid me in the shower since I lost my left leg above the knee )

You may find if your going to ride long trips solo or with a passenger its always good to have options