Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you have your passenger get off when negotiating gravel parking lots?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008 | 05:11 PM
DrPlastic
|
Outstanding HDF Member
Red face Do you have your passenger get off when negotiating gravel parking lots?

I had an unfriendly encounter with a parking lot that was basically hard scrabble with a thin unevenly distributed layer of gravel. I had to have my wife get off so I could better negotiate the area without dropping the glide!

I pulled into my dentists office to have a few fillings replaced and the fight was so bad my blood pressure was about 180/114! Scared the bejezzus outta me!

Anyone else have this happen?

Old 10-13-2008 | 05:23 PM
TheBagger
Road Master

I have about 1/4 driveway that is graveled with crushed lava cinders. I never have my wife get off, just get in the friction zone in 1st gear and take it easy. A few places I have been had really loose gravel and that fishtail affect gets my attention real fast!!

Old 10-13-2008 | 05:35 PM
Zimbob
Outstanding HDF Member

I've ran into a few parking lots that I had my passenger get off so I could get where I needed to be. Don't sweat it dude, Just ride safe.

Old 10-13-2008 | 05:39 PM
themensh
Ultimate HDF Member

Do what you gota do. If I am going forward, my passenger usually stays on...if I need to back up.....she may get off. Depends on if I can back up with her on or not.
If she gets off.....she doen't help push though. Just makes it lighter for me.

Chuck

Old 10-13-2008 | 05:41 PM
harley-jones
Road Warrior

Yes, I even have mine get off on pavement if I need to back into a parking place.

On gravel I always get headed in the right direction and then she get on. Better to be safe than sorry.

Old 10-13-2008 | 05:45 PM
fireglider
Road Captain

Just crossing a lot or parking, she stays on; turning around is usually a solo job on gravel. I visited a new gun/archery shop last week that had a 300-400 yard long single lane rock drive, with much of the rock the large railroad bed type. It was interesting on a bike.

Old 10-13-2008 | 06:00 PM
tima
Elite HDF Member

I hate gravel. Do what you need to do. Keep everybody safe and leave as much paint on the bike as possible.

Old 10-13-2008 | 06:00 PM
MeanMorningJoe
Advanced

It really depends... my wife is a great passenger... you do not even know she is on the back of the bike. If it is really loose stuff, I have her get off... Always safe than sorry. I have nothing to prove... and a dropped bike can put a damper on a great day of riding.

Old 10-13-2008 | 06:36 PM
RangeRat
Outstanding HDF Member

Sometimes I do. My VFW Post has real small pea-gravel compressed into a loose sort of gravel/asphault mix. It was cheap and rain soaks right through, good for cars but terrible for a scoot.

Old 10-13-2008 | 06:43 PM
Nitzo
Cruiser

Originally Posted by MeanMorningJoe
It really depends... my wife is a great passenger... you do not even know she is on the back of the bike. If it is really loose stuff, I have her get off... Always safe than sorry. I have nothing to prove... and a dropped bike can put a damper on a great day of riding.

+1........this is where I'm at also.

I've ridden so many miles, done all the things I should have done and a few more that I shouldn't have. I have her get off if theres any question at all.

Quick Reply: Do you have your passenger get off when negotiating gravel parking lots?