Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying Lower Fairings on Ebay - A few questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 05:01 PM
buckwheat
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Buying Lower Fairings on Ebay - A few questions

Good afternoon all...

I have a 2008 FLHX and am considering buying some lower fairings on eBay for my bike. Are there any fitment considerations when buying take-off fairings from an Ultra or buying fairings that someone else previously had on a Classic or Street Glide?

In other words, assuming the color of the lowers are right, can I just assume lower fairings from bikes that are 2006 and newer would be compatible with my SG? (Notice the liberal use of the word ***-U-ME)

I understand that there are detachable kits as well, but I'm mainly concerned about fitment of the lowers to begin with.

Thanks!

P.S. - These are without any noticeable mounting hardware... How extensive is the "bag - o - parts" to put these lowers on?

Last edited by buckwheat; 10-13-2008 at 05:04 PM. Reason: Had one other question
Old 10-13-2008, 05:08 PM
Johan96
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Why not order them at chicagoharley.com? They will give You 20% :-)
http://chicagoharley.com/shop/advanc...05DH&x=16&y=12

Old 10-13-2008, 07:26 PM
Mathews2
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

They will fit, and they will fit from way further back than 2006. Just check that the mounting hardware is included, if not you can buy it from your dealer. and that the caps are included. and if it makes a difference to you if they are vented or not. Just make a list of all you want in the lowers and make sure the set you are bidding on has it included. there are alot of piece meal lowers on E-bay. But there are some good deals to be had on there at times.

Old 10-13-2008, 07:39 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Mathews2
They will fit, and they will fit from way further back than 2006. Just check that the mounting hardware is included, if not you can buy it from your dealer. and that the caps are included. and if it makes a difference to you if they are vented or not. Just make a list of all you want in the lowers and make sure the set you are bidding on has it included. there are alot of piece meal lowers on E-bay. But there are some good deals to be had on there at times.
Good advise. Please let us know how it turns out for you, as I think there are a number of folks thinking about doing the same thing. I know I am. Thanks. Think about that vent thing. Seems like that's the way to go.

Old 10-13-2008, 07:48 PM
Andy Engemann
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was under the impression that the Road Glide lowers are different from the others.

Vented is definitely the way to go.

Got mine new from Zanottis and they cost less than the used undamaged lowers selling on Ebay.

Andy

Old 10-13-2008, 07:49 PM
fireglider
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

The "bag-o-parts" for installing the lowers is really small....Two studs and nuts hold the top of each lower and its' cap on the engine guard, and a sheetmetal clamp holds the bottom to the lower engine guard with a bolt and nut. The '07s and newer lowers are vented and the '06s and older are not.

Old 10-13-2008, 07:52 PM
PEZ
Tourer

Hi Andy

Road glide lowers are different--so are the glove boxes.

I have had vented and non vented lowers. Being able to open the vents can be nice, but I have had some rattling issues...

I deal ALOT with guys that have lowers and the vast majority of guys who buy the quick detach kit never take the lowers off!

Hope this helps..PEZ

Old 10-13-2008, 09:49 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

According to the HD fitment information in the parts and accessories catalog, fairing lowers from '88 to current will fit. Vented lowers started in '04 or '05 IIRC.

+1 for buying from Zanotti's or other HD 20% off list price dealer. I bought mine a few months ago for $520 delivered from my local dealer after he agreed to match Zanotti's price or he came within $20 of Zanotti's price--I don't recall the precise $$$ difference if any.

Old 10-14-2008, 02:21 AM
guido2112
Intermediate

vented started in 05, right after i bought my 04 of course!!!!!!!

Old 10-14-2008, 06:59 AM
Sincecrazy
Road Warrior
Received 12 Likes on 3 Posts

Roadglide lowers are different, actually taller w/length. You can put ultra lowers on a glide, but not glide lowers on an ultra because of the movement of the bat wing. You can add vents to a non-vented lower. There are a couple companies out there offering them. I added vents to my lowers for $38, from Ebay. Make sure the cover caps are included.

Quick Reply: Buying Lower Fairings on Ebay - A few questions