Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Add streetglide rear fender light to ultra

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 09:49 AM
timvan
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Add streetglide rear fender light to ultra

Anyone put the rear light and tail piece of a streetglide on a ultra? Im wondering how it would look

Old 10-13-2008, 10:57 AM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Looks pretty much like a Street Glide. Many have added the SG rear fascia to Ultras, Road Kings and Road Glides. Do a search for "street glide rear fascia" or street glide tri-bar" and you should get plenty of results.

HD also makes the chrome add-on tri-bar for the bottom of the fender but it doesn't have the fillers for the saddlebags. And it is not availalbe for the 09 models. But I am sure it will be soon.

Old 10-13-2008, 11:08 AM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

timvan, it's been done, but it is more difficult on any HD model (like the Ultra) that has a fender tip light and/or saddlebag guard rails that wrap around the saddlebags.

The fender tip light, when removed, leaves several holes visible when the facia is installed. The solution is a replacement fender, though I know of one guy who had the holes filled with body work. Also, the facia is available in SG colors or primered. If your bike happens to be an SG color, no additional painting of the facia is necessary. If your bike is a color not offered in the SG model, then painting would be necessary. I've seen a red Road Glide with a vivid black facia installed and didn't think it looked very good at all.

The saddlebag guard rails also need to be eliminated (not difficult); most guys just buy the saddlebag support used on SG's or the RK or EG Standard that eliminates the wrap around rails, but retains the crash bar at the front of the bags.

What it will look like is an SG with a Tour Pak and a different turn signal bar.

You should consider the tri-bar/fender extension mentioned by Monstermile--one guy had it color-matched to his bike and it looked good IMO, and the HD color-matched saddlebag filler strips, though I don't know if either accessory is availabe for '09 models, yet.

Old 10-14-2008, 06:45 AM
timvan
Road Warrior

Thanks for the replies and saving my $$ looks like Ill wait till the tri-bar extention is offered

Old 10-14-2008, 07:24 AM
Hog Yild
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hear is a picture of my Ultra with the Street Glide rear end.

I found most of the parts on Ebay. You will need a Street Glide or a Road Glide rear fender. I what lucky enough to find a take off fender for a trike conversion and I turned around and sold my Ultra fender on Ebay, when I was finish I paid about $50 for that color matched fender. I also found the rear turnsignals on Ebay for less than half the price of new. I did have to order the rear fasica and tri-light kit from the dealer.

If you have a lift it's a pretty easy job. The hardest part was keeping my saddle bar crash bars and drilling the holes in the fascia at the right locations. Measure many many times and cut once.

Attached Thumbnails Add streetglide rear fender light to ultra-pict1777-2.jpg  
Old 10-14-2008, 07:50 AM
speedkillsu2
Advanced

Originally Posted by Hog Yild
Hear is a picture of my Ultra with the Street Glide rear end.

I found most of the parts on Ebay. You will need a Street Glide or a Road Glide rear fender. I what lucky enough to find a take off fender for a trike conversion and I turned around and sold my Ultra fender on Ebay, when I was finish I paid about $50 for that color matched fender. I also found the rear turnsignals on Ebay for less than half the price of new. I did have to order the rear fasica and tri-light kit from the dealer.

If you have a lift it's a pretty easy job. The hardest part was keeping my saddle bar crash bars and drilling the holes in the fascia at the right locations. Measure many many times and cut once.
Looks great! Did you make a template to drill the holes for the crashbars or just eyeball it? It looks like you finished the holes with grommets, what size did you end up using and what size did you have to drill the holes?

Old 10-14-2008, 07:57 AM
timvan
Road Warrior

Hog..
I like it, its exactly what I was thinking.. just have to find a 09 vivid black streetglide fender

Old 10-14-2008, 08:20 AM
Hog Yild
Road Master

Originally Posted by speedkillsu2
Looks great! Did you make a template to drill the holes for the crashbars or just eyeball it? It looks like you finished the holes with grommets, what size did you end up using and what size did you have to drill the holes?
Hey speedkillu2,

FYI, I sent you a personal message back at you yesterday, didn't know if you received it or not.

I don't have any pictures of what I did, but I'll explain here.

Before I took off the crashbars I put painters tape top and bottom in the location of where the crashbars mount up next to the fenders.

After removing the crash bars I mounted the Street Glide Fascia to the bike. I put the painters tape on the inside surfaces of the fascia in the areas that the crashbar holes will need to be drilled. I then used a long 1/8" wooden dowel rod with a sharp point and aligned and leveled it to the mounting area of the crashbars and marked the points on the inside taped areas of the fascia. I removed the fascia and taped the outside areas as well to protect the paint.

Measure the flattened ends of the crashbars, this is size of holes you will need drill in the fascia, large enough for these ends to pass through. I think mine were 1" or 1-1/8" holes?

I went to the hardware store and purchased a hole saw in that size. You know, the hole saw you use to put door ***** and locks in wooden doors, they have a pilot drill.

I used a 2 x 6 piece of wood as a backing plate and had my step-son hold the fascia to it as I drilled the 4 pilot holes through the fascia. Not the hole saw, just starter holes the size of the pilot drill.

Next I drilled a vertical hole the size of the pilot drill into the 2 x 6. And I removed the pilot drill from the holes saw and turned it around to act as a dowel pin instead of a drill. This will keep the hole saw running true as you drill through the fascia. With my step-son holding the fascia tight against the 2 x 6. I placed the pilot drill through the fascia and into the 2 x 6 and slowly drilled each hole with the hole saw.

Reinstall the fascia on the bike, I purchase some rubber grommets from McMaster-Carr online. I think they were the 3/4" i.d. 1-1/8" o.d. x 1-1/2" flange for 1/8" thick material? I installed the grommets into the fascia, and with the help of some water, worked the crash bar ends through the holes. Aligned everything and tightened it all up.

The rest was wiring, which I made a tee connection inside the tour pak. I did use the upgraded tri-light for the street glide, the one that acts as a brake light as well as a running light.

Last edited by Hog Yild; 10-14-2008 at 08:41 AM.
Old 10-14-2008, 08:36 AM
Hog Yild
Road Master

Originally Posted by timvan
Hog..
I like it, its exactly what I was thinking.. just have to find a 09 vivid black streetglide fender
A Road Glide rear fender will work as well. The only difference is the Street Glide fender has the holes on the sides for mounting the fascia. You can either add the holes or use a good automotive double sided tape to the Road Glide fender.

Old 10-14-2008, 09:17 AM
speedkillsu2
Advanced

Thanks Hog Yild! That is exactly the info I was looking for. BTW, no your PM response never came through. That is odd...

Quick Reply: Add streetglide rear fender light to ultra