Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New Seat Height is Too Tall

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2008 | 08:41 PM
lencap
|
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 4 Posts
Default New Seat Height is Too Tall

I don't get it. HD builds a brand new suspension, but raises the seat height to over 30". It also seems a bit wider in the seat, but whatever the adjustments are, I no longer fit on ANY touring bike. Yeah, I could buy a thinner saddle, but then I give up riding comfort, which is why I'm buying the bike in the first place.

HD probably thought this through, but they messed it up for me. I can't believe I'm the only rider that doesn't fit on the new bikes. But why?

Now the bike is just what I want, ABS brakes, great engine/transmission, but at any stop sign I can't get my feet flat on the ground. With the wife on the back, and any angle in the road, I can't keep the bike level.

Sorry, I don't get it.

Old 10-12-2008 | 08:43 PM
Chula
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Try lowering kit?

Old 10-12-2008 | 08:44 PM
cabbage
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

get a lower seat, like a c and c....

edited to say i actually read your post and you want a thicker seat. o well....grow some longer legs?

Old 10-12-2008 | 08:46 PM
Trock
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by lencap
I don't get it. HD builds a brand new suspension, but raises the seat height to over 30". It also seems a bit wider in the seat, but whatever the adjustments are, I no longer fit on ANY touring bike. Yeah, I could buy a thinner saddle, but then I give up riding comfort, which is why I'm buying the bike in the first place.

HD probably thought this through, but they messed it up for me. I can't believe I'm the only rider that doesn't fit on the new bikes. But why?

Now the bike is just what I want, ABS brakes, great engine/transmission, but at any stop sign I can't get my feet flat on the ground. With the wife on the back, and any angle in the road, I can't keep the bike level.

Sorry, I don't get it.
Trust me you can get a seat that sits you lower and not give up comfort. Check out C&C seats.

Old 10-12-2008 | 08:48 PM
Marsh
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Chula
Try lowering kit?
Lower your bike 1-1/2" front & rear, then have a custom seat guy take out material on the sides of the front of the seat where your legs angle down to the payment. That's what I did on my RKC and it's fine now. I have a 30" inseam.
Marsh

Old 10-12-2008 | 08:57 PM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Hmmmmm, lets see, people seem to be taller than they used to be, I believe I read somewhere the average height has gone up over the years. Is it easier to make a shorter bike taller for the taller folks, or to lower a taller bike for the vertically challenged?? I can't believe you are sitting here, on a public forum, whining cause you are short. Or, are you just upset because HD didn't make a bike specifically to fit you????? Shame on them for not checking with you first!

Old 10-12-2008 | 09:16 PM
Deepsouth251
Road Master

The touring bikes are the same height as they have always been, check the specs, while you're at it check your boots maybe the heels fell off.

Old 10-12-2008 | 09:26 PM
pled55
Road Master

ok ..before we start flaming the little guys .i have a new bike myself and what i found out is that they print the specs.on the new ones as to be same as the older models
well they are probably correct in the height specs. but the width is were the problem is .
i had to send my seat to be lowered and shaved a little in the leg area (mean city cycles)to even get close as i to have short legs except the third one (sorry wrong forum) but they are wider is what i'm trying to say. so the lowering suspension and seat is a must for short riders.but rider experience does help a lot.

Old 10-12-2008 | 09:36 PM
TheBreeze521
Cruiser

My dealer had an 08 Ultra and a 09 Ultra sitting right next to each other. They may be the same height but there's no question the 09 requires a larger inseam to stand flat.

Old 10-12-2008 | 09:40 PM
GliderXXX
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

The subtle difference I noticed when sitting on an 08 SG with the old 16" tires was a bit higher sitting position with the new 17" front tire on the 09.

Quick Reply: New Seat Height is Too Tall