Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

stage II bigbore kit

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 04:31 PM
boomer
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default stage II bigbore kit

need a little help/info. I ordered the stage II kit when I picked up my 09 ultra.
the dealer said the there was no down load out for the bike and said I needed the
S.E Super Turner. Now in the new American Iron mag hd's new trike has a 103"
motor. If the MoCo can put out a trike why isn't there a down load for my bike?
Any info would be nice.

Old 10-11-2008, 04:46 PM
IzzoQuazzo
Retired Admin

Received 9,041 Likes on 3,711 Posts

It really needs to be dynoed to run right.

Old 10-11-2008, 04:58 PM
boomer
Cruiser

yes I know that I live in alaska I live in Alaska and plan on going outside [lower 48]
this spring I'm thinking Latus HD for the tune

Old 10-11-2008, 08:17 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

I suggest you start a thread: "Download for '09 Big Bore 103?" Your dealer may be ignorant of what's available, or worse, wants to sell you a more expensive device. However, if you are going to have the bike dynoed anyway, buying the tuner now isn't so bad.

Also, HD has been putting 103's in police model EG's and RK's since '07 model year.

Old 10-11-2008, 09:37 PM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Boomer,

have you, or are you planning to, change your exhaust as part of this upgrade? If you are, then more than likely thats why they are saying they don't have a download.

If you are in fact using the mufflers that come with the big bore kit, there is NO reason why they should not have a download for it, unless HD is simply really behind in developing it, which it COULD be. But if that is the case, IMHO they have no business selling the big bore kit until the download is ready.

Having said that, I personally think you WILL be much happier in the end if you do the SERT, or Supertuner as its now called, and dyno the bike. Yea, the expense sucks, but in the end, I think you will get the best results that way.

Old 10-11-2008, 09:48 PM
Fast FLHX
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

needs dyno time, I am running on a quick tune by the HD tuner and it is lacking down low due to timing or fueling issues. up top it is great though. won't get dyno'd till I get the 1K break in on it.

Old 10-12-2008, 02:28 AM
boomer
Cruiser

the kit is in the 09 bling book and comes with slip on's. The only reason for getting this
one was the warrenty issues. The super tuner is a added expence but I think I would have gotten one any way just not sure witch one. This computer thing is pretty new to
me but the thread thing is not a bad idea. Thanks for all the input.

Old 10-12-2008, 10:18 AM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Have you taken possession of the bike yet?

As far as the warranty goes, the kit must be installed BEFORE you take delivery of the bike, and you have to use 100 percent of the kit, included the mufflers and download, for it to be under warranty, because without the mufflers and EPA legal download, its not street legal, and they can void the warranty for that. (read the fine print in the catalog carefully)

Your DEALER has the option of covering you if there is an issue, but unless you install the kit as above, the MOCO can deny warranty claims. In other words, YOUR dealer would fix it, but if you broke down out on the road, other dealers may not honor the warranty.

I would ask your dealer POINT BLANK about the warranty issues, INCLUDING the fact that as I recall, the bling book states that the ECM re-calibration is required, (yet they say they don't have it) and technically, the supertuner alone MAY void the warranty. Im not sure on the SUPERtuner, but the RACE tuner (sert) was a race only part, (despite being sold otherwise) and TECHNICALLY could void your warranty all by itself. You'll notice that neither the SERT, or its replacement (Supertuner) do not appear anywhere in the bling book. (they are in the Screamin Eagle RACING catalog) Perhaps the Supertuner is considered street legal if its tuned to EPA compliance numbers?

Sadly, this is a VERY grey issue. Seems like every dealer will tell you something different.

Not trying to scare you away from doing it (I did it on my 07) just think you should know the TRUE warranty status if you do.

Old 10-12-2008, 01:50 PM
boomer
Cruiser

Yes,I have the bike in my possession. I have been waiting for the kit to come in since
the end of Aug. Was told that since the paperwork was started within 60 days the warranty was covered. Alaska is big but of the four dealers in the state three are owned by the same guy. Thay better cover there work.

The supertuner is the issue with me. I just can't see the MOCO putting out a kit with out the ECM download.

Old 10-12-2008, 02:57 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

I ordered the kit for my bike and got it within a week. You've been waiting since Aug.? The cam in the kit is noy gear drive, FYI. I waited till the warranty was up, and then built the moter the way I wanted.

Quick Reply: stage II bigbore kit