Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-20-2015, 10:00 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Pros & Cons of Street Glide vs Road Glide
http://www.hdforums.com/forum/tourin...oad-glide.html

ISSUE
User wants to know the difference between the two bike styles, which type others chose, and why they chose one over the other. Some reasons people gave for choosing a bike include:
• Personal preference
• Some say that the Road Glide is better in winds
• Road Glide can feel more spacious
• Street Glide looks better and is more customizable

Read below for the full discussion…
Print Wikipost

Pros & cons of street glide vs road glide

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2008 | 10:32 AM
greg09997
Road Warrior

Street Glide has better wind protection & you can add VENTED lowers..

Handling with the batwing is a NON issue, you don't even notice the fairing, even in high winds.

The ride with the Street Glide sucks.. You give up a lot with the lowered shocks, so out of the box, the Road Glide kicks the SG's azz here.

Head light on the Road Glide is better than SG.. If you're going to do much ridding at night, plan on spending some money adding lights to your SG.

If looks are important, then it's not even close... The SG is a better looking bike...

I think a better comparison would be a Classic, or Ultra.... If I had to do it over again, I would sacrifice looks and buy an Ultra... If you want to put serious miles on a SG, you will want to add lights and upgrade the shocks.

Oh ya.. Chicks Dig the SG

Old 10-12-2008 | 10:43 AM
vindyl
Road Master

I would go with the EG standard. That way you have a blank canvas to do what you want with it.To many SG's on the road as others have said.

Old 10-12-2008 | 11:05 AM
Ron Webb
4th Gear

I love the Road Glide - Have riden many Street Glides. But it's nice to stretch out on the Road Glide and not sit on top of the gas tank.

Old 10-13-2008 | 02:21 PM
Lightngsvt2
Tourer

Originally Posted by vindyl
I would go with the EG standard. That way you have a blank canvas to do what you want with it.To many SG's on the road as others have said.
I agree, but the issue with the EGS is the polished covers and silver cases. Thats big $$$ to change. Now if they offered the EGS with black cases and polished covers that would be cool

The following users liked this post:
bikermike69 (03-10-2016)
Old 10-14-2008 | 03:03 AM
waynehues
Advanced

its all about "your" style and what you want......be a man and get the one you like.....not what everyone else likes!!!!!!!!!!
if your hat worried about it you've gotta ride em both to decide. Good luck.

Old 10-14-2008 | 05:55 AM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force

it was an '05 with only 10,526 miles on it, and because it's an "unpopular model" in an "unpopular color" I bought it for $13k. and the dealer gave me $3k for my 2002 Honda that had 130,000 miles on it. That was Dec '07, and the bike now has 26,600 on the odo...
That's why I bought mine
Plus... when I park my bike in a crowd... the RG's are rare, and stand out.... some folks like to blend in....so they don't get the RG... but either bike is a fine bike, and you won't go wrong with either

Old 10-15-2008 | 10:18 AM
Lightngsvt2
Tourer

I think like some have said its going to depend on your size. I'm only 5'10" with a 30" inseam. At the dealer yesterday I sat on an RG and SG back to back and I was much more comfortable on the SG. If I were taller I can see where the RG would be the better bet.

Old 01-31-2009 | 07:52 AM
UPSGUY
Road Master

I bought a Street Glide in 06 and I had a major problem with wind buffing, Im 5'10" 30" inseam and anything over 50 mph my vision would get blurry because of the wind buffing from the short wind shield. The dealer bought it back after 29 days and resold it (people were on a waiting list back then) and I bought a RK Custom in 07, I love the RK but Im like the looks of the Road Glide and I would like more wind protection. I have been shopping trying to find a deal on an 09 and Im going to test ride one today to make sure it is the bike for me. Ride both and then make your decision!

Old 01-31-2009 | 08:02 AM
strtrod
Intermediate

I here the R.G is a wind tunnel design.

Old 01-31-2009 | 10:43 AM
beary
Grand HDF Member

I've been going around and around for months on this question. I love the orange RG but I want all the chrome of the street glide. I'm going to add lower fairings and tour pack to what ever I buy, so that doesn't matter.

I finally choose the SG over the RG because everything I've heard on the windshield. I know the SG has windshield issues as well, but they seem easily solved. The RG guys just don't seem to have the ideal solution yet. My dealer and I had the same discussion while I was trying to decide between the two bikes. He said he is struggling with the same decision, he has a SG and is thinking about switching to the RG for the handling, but the windshield has him holding off as well.

On the other hand, if I could put a RG fairing on the SG for the chrome and rear fender, I might be incline to spend lots of dollars in search of the one windshield. Couldn't do it with orange though. WHY DOES HARLEY DO THIS TO ME?

Beary

Quick Reply: Pros & cons of street glide vs road glide