Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-20-2015, 10:00 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Pros & Cons of Street Glide vs Road Glide
http://www.hdforums.com/forum/tourin...oad-glide.html

ISSUE
User wants to know the difference between the two bike styles, which type others chose, and why they chose one over the other. Some reasons people gave for choosing a bike include:
• Personal preference
• Some say that the Road Glide is better in winds
• Road Glide can feel more spacious
• Street Glide looks better and is more customizable

Read below for the full discussion…
Print Wikipost

Pros & cons of street glide vs road glide

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2016, 09:32 PM
captainron62
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have owned both and I am back to the SG. What it came down to for me was looks and wind protection. The looks is obviously subjective, but the wind protection is real, especially on the hands. I figured if I am going to leave the Softail parked I want all the perks of the bagger.

I also noticed the difference riding in rain! You can tuck in on a SG, but on my RG I just got wet. There is nothing to tuck behind as the fairing is so far forward.

On the RG plus side it is roomier for taller fellas and it does handle better that the SG due to the frame mounted fairing.

Old 03-30-2016, 10:47 PM
nannynooch
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ok a little off topic, however there is a whiskey colored 2015 RG here for 19K is this a good price?

Old 03-30-2016, 11:06 PM
muddmann
Tourer
Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by captainron62
I have owned both and I am back to the SG. What it came down to for me was looks and wind protection. The looks is obviously subjective, but the wind protection is real, especially on the hands. I figured if I am going to leave the Softail parked I want all the perks of the bagger.

I also noticed the difference riding in rain! You can tuck in on a SG, but on my RG I just got wet. There is nothing to tuck behind as the fairing is so far forward.

On the RG plus side it is roomier for taller fellas and it does handle better that the SG due to the frame mounted fairing.
Couldn't agree more.

Old 03-30-2016, 11:15 PM
goose222
Road Master
Received 140 Likes on 79 Posts

After all these posts on this thread I wonder how many of these people have owned both let alone ridden both. If you haven't your comments are pretty much bull ****.

Old 03-31-2016, 07:56 AM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

Ridden both, owned both.

The Batwing is a little better at hand protection in the weather, but otherwise I haven't noticed a difference in overall weather protection. There's no comparison in wind/buffeting protection, the Roadie's far better. Also no comparison in handling, the Roadie blows away any Batwing bike.

Old 03-31-2016, 08:41 AM
H-D Nomad
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Ridden street glide both Rushmore and pre Rushmore, Electra glide ultra limited and the Rushmore Road Glide. I choose the Road Glide, I couldn't get rid of head shaking buffeting on the bat wings and I tried different shields. Admittedly the road glide does need a better windshield (RG Special). Definitely prefer the handling and feel of the RoadGlide over the batwing faired bikes.

Old 03-31-2016, 06:11 PM
RFG7680
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 1,280 Likes on 733 Posts

Originally Posted by goose222
After all these posts on this thread I wonder how many of these people have owned both let alone ridden both. If you haven't your comments are pretty much bull ****.
Traded my 08 SG for my 11 RGU. So no bullshit here.

Originally Posted by '05Train
Ridden both, owned both.

The Batwing is a little better at hand protection in the weather, but otherwise I haven't noticed a difference in overall weather protection. There's no comparison in wind/buffeting protection, the Roadie's far better. Also no comparison in handling, the Roadie blows away any Batwing bike.
this is dead on. If, you had stock bars. Which su ked and made me lean in. I had the +2 sweepers on mine. Perfect bars. But put my hands in a slightly higher position than the Heritage bars that are my new bike do. I'm going to put the sweepers on this one. The wrist angle is perfect.

Old 03-31-2016, 06:45 PM
bjmcconk
Advanced
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Well Hopefully by this point in the thread the original OP has bought a bike period.

In my area street glides are quite prominent. They are everywhere. I had my eyes on road glides ever since I had been looking. My friends would say "get a street glide, they are just better." I never road a street glide and actually never road the road glide before i bought one. But i knew right away that they both would ride similar with little querks that would be different about each of them.

My main reason as to getting a harley Glide bike was this. MI weather is nice one minute and crappy the next min. I need a place to store a jacket or sweat shirt and extra normal riding gear. Saddle bags were a must. I can ride out at 11:00 AM with out a jacket but come 7:00 PM i would need some kind of long sleeve shirt or jacket. Just the way it is here. So since everyone seems to have a Street glide, I went with the road glide. I liked the way it sits parked and the way that it rides going down the road. Bigger compartment for things in the fairing and less claustrophobic.

I have 12" Apes and hands do get cold so hand protection is minimal and at this point who doesn't change the handle bars anymore. Ive got rained on and yes i got wet. Everyone is going to get wet on a bike riding in the rain.

In the end its up to your preference. If you cant decide by looking at them, then ride them both. Thats all one can do. Its your money, do what you want with it.

Old 03-31-2016, 07:01 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 10,081 Likes on 5,373 Posts

SG is the safe pick for those that do not want to step out. RG is for the rest.
Had 4 of them never looking back.

Old 03-31-2016, 07:20 PM
Tomspo04
Cruiser
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by goose222

Now, that's funny. I don't care who you are!

Last edited by Tomspo04; 03-31-2016 at 07:24 PM.