Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-20-2015, 10:00 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Pros & Cons of Street Glide vs Road Glide
http://www.hdforums.com/forum/tourin...oad-glide.html

ISSUE
User wants to know the difference between the two bike styles, which type others chose, and why they chose one over the other. Some reasons people gave for choosing a bike include:
• Personal preference
• Some say that the Road Glide is better in winds
• Road Glide can feel more spacious
• Street Glide looks better and is more customizable

Read below for the full discussion…
Print Wikipost

Pros & cons of street glide vs road glide

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2011, 09:18 AM
Intrepid175
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Fire-Medic
I love both bikes, I own an Ultra Limited. I never rode a RG until after buying my Limited which was my first bike with a fairing. After riding my buddies RG, if I could go back and change, I would get the Road Glide. But I don't hate my Limited either.
That's exactly the boat I'm in. I rented an Ultra and rode it for a week end. A few months later, I found a dealer that had a RG in it's rental fleet (wasn't easy to find BTW) and rented it for a day. I too, preferred the RG but wanted the bells and whistles that came on the Ultra. Even looked at buying a RG and adding the bells and whistles after the fact but that "quickly" passed my "not worth the trouble" limits. Since, like you, I'm not unhappy with my Ultra at all, it's no big deal but if Harley had sold the RG Ultra back in 09, I'd definitely be riding one.

Ride Safe,
Steve R.

Old 10-10-2011, 10:09 AM
ericv
1st Gear

Last edited by ericv; 10-10-2011 at 10:17 AM.
Old 10-10-2011, 10:16 AM
ericv
1st Gear

Hard to belive this is confused with a jap bike...are you serious?

Old 10-10-2011, 10:29 AM
Fire-Medic
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Intrepid175
That's exactly the boat I'm in. I rented an Ultra and rode it for a week end. A few months later, I found a dealer that had a RG in it's rental fleet (wasn't easy to find BTW) and rented it for a day. I too, preferred the RG but wanted the bells and whistles that came on the Ultra. Even looked at buying a RG and adding the bells and whistles after the fact but that "quickly" passed my "not worth the trouble" limits. Since, like you, I'm not unhappy with my Ultra at all, it's no big deal but if Harley had sold the RG Ultra back in 09, I'd definitely be riding one.

Ride Safe,
Steve R.
They had (1) RG Ultra when I bought my Ultra Limited, but they didn't want to del on it as it was rare at that time and a hot commodity. They did deal on the Ultra Limited though. I was eyeballing a RG Custom in black, but they left me the Ultra Limited for not much more at all, it would have been silly not to take it.

But like I said, not like I'm miserable on my bike. I like both bikes, so I got the one they offered me the best deal on.

Old 10-10-2011, 03:57 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 930 Likes on 572 Posts

For those that seem overly concerned about the fixed fairing not following the head lamp. That has some merit but then it is about as important as driving a car and turning. That does not cause a single driver a problem.

Also that is only the case at 30 mph or less. On a highway when following a curve, a rider could not tell the difference with either as the bike is being turned by leaning and both type fairings will be pointed with the tire in the same direction. So at speed it is a total moot point.

Old 10-11-2011, 03:57 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 930 Likes on 572 Posts

Intrepid - Results to follow. The delivery date keep getting put back by the factory by four weeks. It came in yesterday. They didn't put cruise on it per the order. I think that was the delay. They are short of electrical components so they just shipped it. Dealer is to install later.

I will pick it up by Thursday and plan on putting 1K on it in 4 to 5 days, get it serviced and then really run it for at least another 1K.

At least I got to look at it. Black denim and it looks sinister.

Old 08-07-2012, 09:50 PM
WDHGS
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Cooldaddygroove
Road Glide all the way.

I hated the fairing on the Road Glide for the longest time (years), but after riding a couple back to back with a Bat Wing, there is no comparison.

Road Glide cuts the wind waaay better
Road Glide has more ground clearance = greater lean angle
Road Glide is roomier when you are in the saddle
It looks a little more modern than the traditional Bat Wing.

That said, your initial opinion of the fairing from a looks stand point (standing curbside or sitting on the bike) will change the more you look at it. Everyone hates the RG fairing when they first see it, then over time, most warm to it, if not prefer it.
+1 I hated the RG fairing look--until I rode one. Now, I like it and it will be my next bike in the Spring. Just gotta decide on the color...

Old 03-09-2016, 11:01 PM
terryrh
Elite HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Watch this....

Old 03-09-2016, 11:09 PM
Intrepid175
Road Warrior

I doubt you'll get much Terry, unless this wakens things up. The last post before yours was made almost four years ago and I don't even own my Ultra any more.

Good luck!

Old 03-10-2016, 06:09 AM
Hate Work
Road Warrior
Received 158 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by Miami Cruzer
I'd like to hear from you guys that own either a STREET GLIDE OR ROAD GLIDE.......
why did you buy your model and not the other ?
Is there big differences between these two bikes ?
They both look like AWESOME machines, I'm just trying to justify buying one over the other, advantages and disadvantages.
Thanks for you input!
Buy one of each.

Quick Reply: Pros & cons of street glide vs road glide