Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:
Old 03-20-2015, 10:00 AM
How-Tos on this Topic
Last edit by: IB Advertising
Pros & Cons of Street Glide vs Road Glide
http://www.hdforums.com/forum/tourin...oad-glide.html

ISSUE
User wants to know the difference between the two bike styles, which type others chose, and why they chose one over the other. Some reasons people gave for choosing a bike include:
• Personal preference
• Some say that the Road Glide is better in winds
• Road Glide can feel more spacious
• Street Glide looks better and is more customizable

Read below for the full discussion…
Print Wikipost

Pros & cons of street glide vs road glide

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2010, 06:20 PM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by BDMastiff
Hmmm, I guess that can be changed easy enough.

Wow that is very interesting. Not really sure if I like it or not. It looks a helluva lot better than the one that was on ebay last year with the molded in headlight.

Old 08-09-2010, 06:54 PM
Then Came Bronson
Grand HDF Member

Received 2,795 Likes on 958 Posts

Before I bought my Street Glide, I rented a SG for a day, then I rented a RG for a day.

I definitely preferred the low speed handling of the SG over the RG. I had a hard time seeing what was directly in front of me with the RG (and its frame mounted fairing), plus the RG didn't feel as balanced as the SG in this regime. I'm sure this is something I could adapt to in very short time though.

At freeway speeds, I didn't notice any difference in handling whatsoever. They were both rock solid at 80 mph. I didn't notice getting blown around by any other traffic (cars or trucks), and crosswinds didn't bother me on either bike.

Both stock windscreens are virtually worthless, with the stock RG windscreen being slightly worse. With the aftermarket windscreens available out there, this wouldn't be a factor on either bike.

I also liked the closeness of the radio on the SG compared to the RG. Much easier to make inputs and read.

The RG had storage space in the frame mounted fairing, so advantage RG there. However, I bought T-Bags (windshield bags) for my SG, so now I have 3 small storage pockets within reach.

Overall, I think they're both great bikes. The "Shark Nose" vs the "Bat Wing" fairing is a very personal choice, and will obviously be the deciding factor in which bike you purchase.

For the record, even though I bought the SG, I think the RG is a great looking bike, and would wouldn't hesitate to own one.

Old 08-09-2010, 07:18 PM
BackRoader
Road Master
Received 106 Likes on 85 Posts

If it ends with "Glide"*you can't go wrong!!

Old 08-09-2010, 07:39 PM
Aleslinger
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I did test rides on both the RG and SG. I like the way the bugs deflect off the front of the RG.

Don't stress on the choice and make sure you have some extra cash for a different windshield, seat or pipes too.

Old 08-10-2010, 08:00 AM
Okiephillip
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This thread is started in 2008. Like I did not know some people hate the Road Glide. Keep hating and I'll keep riding my RG. Did the guy who started this buy a SG or RG? The world wonders.

Old 08-10-2010, 10:31 AM
BDMastiff
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Garemlin
Wow that is very interesting. Not really sure if I like it or not. It looks a helluva lot better than the one that was on ebay last year with the molded in headlight.
Actually, I traded the bike yesterday for a 2010 RG Custom. I wanted the new frame, ABS brakes and the bigger gas tank. I love my new scoot. I won't be doing any cosmetic mods to the one but I plan on doing a 103 conversion and eventually making it a 110. Cosmetic mods are nice but performance mods make the bike more fun to ride.

Old 08-10-2010, 10:45 AM
Fire-Medic
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BDMastiff
Actually, I traded the bike yesterday for a 2010 RG Custom. I wanted the new frame, ABS brakes and the bigger gas tank. I love my new scoot. I won't be doing any cosmetic mods to the one but I plan on doing a 103 conversion and eventually making it a 110. Cosmetic mods are nice but performance mods make the bike more fun to ride.
Look into a 107 kit from HQ......

Old 03-31-2011, 04:32 PM
jeffreyjames
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by old95
You ask.... so here's my opinion. Both bikes are great "rideable" bikes & I have owned both. The Street Glide is (again in my opinion) just a stripped down Ele. Glide that was designed for guys who wanted a great riding bike but did not want to look like the older guys that ride Ele. Glides, so they pay more for a bike that has less stuff on it to look "cool". Cause if you want to do a trip on one, ya have to purchase items that come standard on a Ele. Glide at less cost. (Cool has a price.) Or............................you can purchade a Road Glide, which, again my opinion, handles MUCH better that any other bike HD makes. If you disgree fine, but ride each over 70K & see if you then agree with me. One other point, don't ask, but watch, what bike do most Dealers ride themselves????????? (hint..... a Road Glide.)
Do the electra glides "extra weight" have quick detachable mechanisms, making them like a SG quickly? ie: no tourpack, lowers, etc.

Old 03-31-2011, 06:02 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 10,319 Likes on 5,480 Posts

On my second Rg now first was a 07 RG 60,000 great miles on it.
Traded it for a RG Ultra theres was no doubt I would get another RG.
Handel's better in wind ,light front end in short turns, lights up the road with them lights.
And IMO looks great

Old 04-01-2011, 12:41 AM
Intrepid175
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by jeffreyjames
Do the electra glides "extra weight" have quick detachable mechanisms, making them like a SG quickly? ie: no tourpack, lowers, etc.
From what I understand, the fairing lowers are relatively easy to remove and install. Haven't actually done it myself but have read a number of folks on the forum who have and the reports pretty much call it a no brainer. As for the tour pack, the EG's don't come with quick detachable mechanisms but these things are available after the fact. It's not something I'd personally consider because I "use" my tour pack as much as anything on the bike but there are lots of folks that like being able to remove that big box and I have to admit, the bike does look a lot sleeker once it's removed.

FWIW!

Ride Safe,
Steve R.

Quick Reply: Pros & cons of street glide vs road glide