Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended warranty - Yes/no?

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 09:43 AM
TexasRedneck
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dirtdobber
As much as I ride the engine will be worn out before the warranty runs out. They do not cover stuff worn out.
Don't tell one buddy.........70k+ miles on his '07 UC, he's had minor work done here an' there, NO issues with "worn out"!

Old 10-31-2008, 09:59 AM
lv2ride56
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Not much question in my mind. With a '07 Ultra with the 110 I am on my third upper end rebuild at 11000 miles. The last one was about 900 miles ago and every since I have been getting code showing low compression on both cylinders. Will definately be buying insurance as I have no plan on buying another first year model from Harley.
Only question I have is if there is another source other than putting more money to the MoCo.

Old 10-31-2008, 10:04 AM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Normally I'd say no, but since your bike has had problems I'd probably get the EW. Would suck big time for these problems to reoccur, or new problems to arise, and you're out of warranty.

Old 10-31-2008, 04:31 PM
lv2ride56
Advanced

Didn't mean to sound real negative. Just tired of the bike spending as much time in the shop as on the road. Now the new set of problems with the low O2 sensor on both cylinders has me worried again.
Like I say, I love the bike I just wish the MoCo would step up and really fix it right. My last one did 48K with no problems at all, not even any oil use.
EW or insurance really doesn[t look like an option to me.
Is there any source other than the HD plan?

Old 10-31-2008, 04:44 PM
BadPiggy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I don't buy or recommend extended warranties. I think they're a waste.

But hey, that's just me.

Old 10-31-2008, 05:23 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

It is not a factory warranty, as it if from a different company. The factory warranty is two years. The extended warranty can go out an additional 5 years, and has different provisions in it, including a few exclusions. Things that would be covered under your factory warranty may not be included in the extended warranty. Double click the jpg attached for it to get big enough to read.

Attached Thumbnails Extended warranty - Yes/no?-warranty-exclusions.jpg  
Old 10-31-2008, 05:35 PM
Mark
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I got the 7 Year warranty and the ESP road hazard coverage for wheels & tires.

Old 10-31-2008, 11:26 PM
BossHoss
Stage IV
Default Need a crystal ball for this one!

Originally Posted by madurodave
I am at the end of my 2 years of warranty. I have the 110 kit, with SERT and Rinehart TD's. I had the dreaded 110 oil leak (base and head gaskets) at 5k miles. Fixed at 9k miles. I now have 14k on the bike. I am approaching the end of my season in NH. I have only had a couple of minor issues besides the engine: leaky master cylinder lid, speedometer has stains inside from moisture (again - I am on my 2nd speedo) and a primary case oil leak (minor but fixed).

I am curious how other 2007's and 2008's are doing. Should I get a warranty? I think it is around $1000 for 3 more years. I am not sure if it is worth it. Statistically, the odds are against me. HD plans to make money on my buying a warranty and not using it.

Just looking for some feedback/thoughts.

Thanks!
I think 9 times out of ten it will be a waste of money especially if you service the bike on a regular basis. I think they use a 3rd party warranty according to a friend of mine, he also bought one and he can't hardly even get them to do anything without bugging them. If you can turn your own wrench buy a shop repair manual then you can at least save the $$ on labor that's the real kicker. Sounds like you have the bugs worked out already anyway. It's a maybe you will and a maybe you won't need it situation.

Old 11-01-2008, 02:01 AM
leon anthony
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

texasredneck was right the extended servive plan aks extended warranty starts at
the end of your 2 year factory warrenty. I have got about 6,000 dollars of work
done on the extended service plan including a reman engine.

Old 11-01-2008, 08:50 AM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by leon anthony
texasredneck was right the extended servive plan aks extended warranty starts at
the end of your 2 year factory warrenty. I have got about 6,000 dollars of work
done on the extended service plan including a reman engine.
The EW runs concurrent with the factory warranty

Quick Reply: Extended warranty - Yes/no?