Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended warranty - Yes/no?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2008, 11:32 AM
FastHoss
Elite HDF Member
Received 27 Likes on 26 Posts

I would trust an older Harley without the warranty,but not the new stuff.Just cause it's new doesn't mean it's better.I have had issues already where I used the warranty.

Old 10-22-2008, 01:36 PM
Neckball
Stellar HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Can someone break down this Extended Service Plan in layman's term, I see the negative feed back on the ESP but I guess I'm not understanding why its not considered a factory warranty.
The ESP has road hazard coverage for wheels & tires. I've used it twice for tire replacement at a cost of $0.00. Factory warranty doesn't cover that. With ESP you are limited to one road hazard claim per year.

However there are some things that the ESP considers normal wear items and that would be covered by the factory warranty if it hasn't run out yet.

I'd have to take a minute to sit down and read it to be able to give you more details. Part of the problem is, the sales guys at the dealerships refer to it as "extended warranty" and it's actually an extended service plan. Before you buy one just be sure it's explained to you and you understand what it does and does not cover.

For example, the first tire I got replaced had a cut in the tread about 9" long that I found while washing one day. No flat but it sure looked scary. I pulled the front wheel off and took it by the dealer the next day. Service manager tried to tell me it wasn't covered. I showed him the ESP contract and he said "Oh, okay". He just didn't know.

Second tire, I had a flat rear. I was running Metzlers and the SM said the ESP would only cover a Dunlop. After a short conversation and a phone call, he found out the ESP covered whatever brand of tire I was running. If the replacement cost more than the factory Dunlop I had to pay the difference, which I did. I think it was less than $10.

Old 10-22-2008, 02:30 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by TexasRedneck
Dude, if ya bought a 3-year extended warranty on yer EG, yer STILL covered - it starts AFTER the factory warranty runs out.
The extended warranty runs concurrent with the factory warranty. If you bought 3 year, you only bought 1 additional year beyond the factory warranty.

Old 10-22-2008, 02:32 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member

I had the 7 year for 2 yrs. Canceled it, and got enuf money for 95" build and gear cams.

Old 10-22-2008, 05:08 PM
pop1
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FastHoss
I would trust an older Harley without the warranty,but not the new stuff.Just cause it's new doesn't mean it's better.I have had issues already where I used the warranty.
+1 Even if your carb turned out to be garbage you could rebuild for virtually nothing. Or you can go a better route and throw an S&S carb on for around $300.00 bucks. Good luck replacing computers or fuel injection systems that are not covered under warranty.

Old 10-22-2008, 06:41 PM
flgator529
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is a No brainer. Don't buy it If you have a problem with the bike. Get it fixed and send the bill to all of the people that told you not to buy it. I'm sure they will be just as free with there Money as they are with there advice.

Old 10-22-2008, 07:17 PM
Neckball
Stellar HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

The extended warranty runs concurrent with the factory warranty. If you bought 3 year, you only bought 1 additional year beyond the factory warranty.
Generally true. Unless you wait until the end of the factory warranty period to purchase the ESP ( which you can do ). Then the ESP starts the day you buy it.

I had the 7 year for 2 yrs. Canceled it, and got enuf money for 95" build and gear cams.
To me, this is like the people who get a big tax refund and think they got one over on the government. All you got back was money that was already yours, nothing extra.

Old 10-22-2008, 07:45 PM
edeluxe07
Tourer
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I just got a price last weekend from my dealer... $1150 for another 3 years....it's not worth only buying 1 year...that about $750. I'm still undecided whethere I'm going to do it...bike insurance is also due next month...another $500...oh I hate this time of year!!

Old 10-22-2008, 09:16 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

As much as I ride the engine will be worn out before the warranty runs out. They do not cover stuff worn out.

Old 10-22-2008, 09:57 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member

To me, this is like the people who get a big tax refund and think they got one over on the government. All you got back was money that was already yours, nothing extra.
Right, I redirected my money.

Quick Reply: Extended warranty - Yes/no?