Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended warranty - Yes/no?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2008, 05:44 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,853 Likes on 1,601 Posts

I'm not even going to read all the other posts. I'm sure most say its a waste of money...same-ole same-ole.

Heres my story, quick version. Wife damaged two rims on her street bob. Like 1600 bucks (includes labor) in damage total. The ESP paid for everything.

End of story.

lp

Old 10-21-2008, 05:54 PM
Neckball
Stellar HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Cheap insurance (its not a warranty)
Exactly. The MOCO doesn't offer an extended warranty. Be clear on what you're purchasing.

Old 10-21-2008, 06:05 PM
lp
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,853 Likes on 1,601 Posts

Originally Posted by Neckball
Exactly. The MOCO doesn't offer an extended warranty. Be clear on what you're purchasing.
It pays for repairs. Thats what you're paying for. Like Duh???

lp

Old 10-21-2008, 06:18 PM
Bagged Out
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

+1 mattman.
I almost bought an SE 110 and would have gotten the extended warranty on it.
Dont think I am going to get it on the SG unless i have probs over the balance of the warranty period.

Old 10-21-2008, 09:52 PM
ezryder62881
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bigskyhd
Life's about choices. How mechanical are you? What kind of tools do you have? Can you take care of something that goes wrong w/o going to the dealer? Are you a gambler, or do you like to play it safe? Can you pull the jugs, put new base gaskets on, and put everything back together and have it run properly? How about rings, bearings, gearbox, clutch, etc..... Just some things to consider. I'm past doing this, though I've done it in the past...so my response was to buy the extended warranty. I did. Didn't need it. Got my $$ back from the MOCO. Kind of seems like a no brainer to me. But that's me..
I'm confused--
You bought it, didn't need it, and got your money back from the MOCO?
How did you get your money back? What do you mean you didnt need it? It expired and you never used it, or you decided shortly after buying it that you didn't need it after all?
Sorry, I'm kinda slow.

Old 10-22-2008, 07:49 AM
LPT55
Intermediate

Not too many inexpensive repairs on a harley when something happens. My tranny just went on my 2003RKC, $1000 repair, extended service plan covered 100% plus trailering it to the shop, $50 deductable though. I would do it and include the tire coverage too. I got a flat 3-days after putting on new tires, a small hole but couldn't find anybody that would even go near repairing it, had to buy a second new one out of pocket because I turned down tire coverage when I bought my plan. I then crunched the numbers based on the out of pocket $$ and realized that I should have included the tire coverage.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:04 AM
cadman311
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought a 04 RG with 1 year (ESP)/warranty. It's been in the shop 6 times this year for repairs, but it don't cover everything. It's a service plan not a warranty. So they don't fix all your problems.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:16 AM
Neckball
Stellar HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

It pays for repairs. Thats what you're paying for. Like Duh???
I bought a 04 RG with 1 year (ESP)/warranty. It's been in the shop 6 times this year for repairs, but it don't cover everything. It's a service plan not a warranty. So they don't fix all your problems.
Yep, like Duh.................

Old 10-22-2008, 11:19 AM
007 ultra
Tourer

Maybe I'm just lucky, but from my first new Sportster in 1963 and all the Harleys I've owned since (both new and used) ..... would have never been a wise financial investment for me.

Historically have only took out a Sportster tranny - my fault speed shiftin - and replaced a head gasket twice. Otherwise, only routine, normal service - plugs, oil, filters, etc.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Old 10-22-2008, 11:28 AM
1potter1
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Can someone break down this Extended Service Plan in laymons term, I see the negative feed bacK on the ESP but I guess I'm not understanding why its not considerd a factory warranty. thanks

Quick Reply: Extended warranty - Yes/no?