Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended warranty - Yes/no?

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2008, 11:48 AM
pop1
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The warranty is worth it especially with the new 96/6 speed combo. The dealers are seeing a ton of new problems. My 08 ULTRA had about 2800miles on it when the motor began "sumping." Oil was filling up the bottom end of the engine. The MOCO told my dealer to drain the excess oil and send me on my way. The MOCO told them not to open the engine or it would not be covered under warranty without finding further cause that the engine wasn't just overfilled with oil. After months of playing guessing games with the dealer and speaking to the MOCO myself I sold the bike. Keep in mind my bike was in the repair shop more than I got to ride it. The day I sold it the check engine light was on and the bike was throwing 3 exciting new codes. I bought my CARBED 03 and couldn't be happier. Some 08 issues included rotors were warped, my horn stopped working, my fuel filter cracked (leaving me stranded) I had a mysterious fuel pressure leak, and last but not least the motor sumping problem. I have not even listed all the issues I had but I invite anyone who thinks the warranty is a waste of money to check some of my previous posts when I owned the 08. By far the worst bike I ever owned. My 2 cents I would hope that everyone else would have better luck. Here is a quote from the HD TECH I spoke to " We appreciate your patience while we find this problem. These bikes are pretty new with a whole new fuel injection system we are still learning about these bikes." I didn't have time to wait for them to "learn" so I went old school and I love it. You guys that are buying the warranties are smart. These bikes are 1000 times more technical than the carbed HD'S. Alot of the HD mechanics don't even know what to do. The MOCO told me flat out that the dealer had called them about all my problems asking for advice.

Old 10-11-2008, 06:20 PM
madurodave
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by oldhippie
But with a SE maybe that's a different story.

I've just got an 07 96 stage 1 which may be slightly less stressed. More engine, more heat, more vibration, more stress on all the parts. $1K sounds like a lot till you get your first bill on that puppy.

If the bikes stable and runnign fine than maybe not, but if you've continued to have issues with it, then yeah.. get it.

What dealer in NH actually replaced your Speedo!?
Seacoast Harley is my dealer. They have been absolutely a great dealership!

Old 10-11-2008, 06:26 PM
madurodave
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks everyone for your input. I will be putting the bike up for winter storage in a few weeks. I will ask the service guys at my dealership how the 2007's with the 110 have been holding up. Hopefully I will get a straight answer.

Old 10-21-2008, 09:49 AM
Bacon_Grease
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by madurodave
Should I get a warranty? I think it is around $1000 for 3 more years. I am not sure if it is worth it. Statistically, the odds are against me. HD plans to make money on my buying a warranty and not using it.

Just looking for some feedback/thoughts.

Thanks!
I bought the warranty with tire coverage when I bought my Sporty in March. I've had two tires replaced free of charge when I picked up nails. The odds may or may not be stacked against you - but the $1600 I spent on the 5 year (7 year total) warranty has saved be about $500 in the past 7 months in tire repairs alone. Extend that out to 7 years and that's 24 tire repairs at $250 a pop.

Old 10-21-2008, 01:57 PM
simsjam
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get the extended warranty. The 96in motor has only been on all HD since 2007. I do not trust the new technology with out a warranty until all the kinks have been worked out. The 6 speed tranny was introduced on Dynas in 06 and the rest in 07. Take a look in the Dyna group on bearing problems with the tranny so far.

Old 10-21-2008, 02:49 PM
dirtdobber
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I have to say no.
Can not do much to it without voiding the warranty.
Something goes out then it's a good reason to trade.
Jim

Old 10-21-2008, 03:35 PM
honestbob
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Ram
Sorry to all, I've said no. Never needed it anyway!
Man you are brave! I hope you knocked on wood. If I posted something like that mine would blow up the next day! Good luck.

Old 10-21-2008, 03:40 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

Life's about choices. How mechanical are you? What kind of tools do you have? Can you take care of something that goes wrong w/o going to the dealer? Are you a gambler, or do you like to play it safe? Can you pull the jugs, put new base gaskets on, and put everything back together and have it run properly? How about rings, bearings, gearbox, clutch, etc..... Just some things to consider. I'm past doing this, though I've done it in the past...so my response was to buy the extended warranty. I did. Didn't need it. Got my $$ back from the MOCO. Kind of seems like a no brainer to me. But that's me..

Old 10-21-2008, 04:14 PM
thunemt
Stage I
Default well worth it.

consider the monthly cost of the extended warranty. pretty cheap really. read these 2 articles. i think they will offer some real-life perspective to your question...

http://www.cyclerides.com/WeeklyUpdate8_13_08.htm
http://www.cyclerides.com/WeeklyUpdate8_20_08.htm

I bought the 5-year extended warrantly. i never worry now. blown engine will cost me $50.

Old 10-21-2008, 05:15 PM
mackcr
Cruiser

I just had to have the stereo replaced on my 06 Ultra, the extended warranty covered the parts and repairs.

The company makes their money based on the average rider only riding 5,000 miles per year. If you are not an average rider and log more than 15,000 miles per year and do not want to trade your bike the extended warranty will pay for itself.

Quick Reply: Extended warranty - Yes/no?