Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Extended warranty - Yes/no?

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2008, 07:39 PM
oldhippie
Stellar HDF Member
Received 117 Likes on 70 Posts
Default I wouldn't

But with a SE maybe that's a different story.

I've just got an 07 96 stage 1 which may be slightly less stressed. More engine, more heat, more vibration, more stress on all the parts. $1K sounds like a lot till you get your first bill on that puppy.

If the bikes stable and runnign fine than maybe not, but if you've continued to have issues with it, then yeah.. get it.

What dealer in NH actually replaced your Speedo!?

Old 10-10-2008, 07:41 PM
coolmac
Tourer
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It all hinges on the amount of miles you ride.

Old 10-10-2008, 08:02 PM
slankard
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just bought the additional 5 years for my '07 Ultra. The day I went in to buy it I talked to 2 techs at my local dealer. I consider them personal friends as they live only a few blocks from me. They asked how my bike was running, I told them great and I was htere to get the extended warranty. They said it was a good idea as I tend to keep my stuff for a long time. They took me back to the shop and showed me an '06 ultra that had extended coverage. They were putting a complete new engine in it. The owner was from Chicago on his way to Florida when it let go. (the guy was able to pull in the clutch before it completely locked up). They put him up for the night and got him a rental to finish his trip. He was to pick up his bike on the return trip with a new motor. He would be out $50.00 for the deductible!! I can not remember what let go but he got his moneys worth out of his extended coverage. It is a gamble. If you only keep your stuff a few years it is not worth it. I tend to keep my stuff for a long time.

Old 10-10-2008, 10:24 PM
Cosmic Razorback
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 18,197 Likes on 7,371 Posts

I'm usually NOT an extended warranty guy but I think it may be worth it on these bikes. I think I'll look into it also.

I have heard that if you get the tire coverage it will really pay for itself.

Old 10-11-2008, 02:08 AM
captjon37
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Everyone has an opinion on this issue. I did get the extended warranty for my bike. I don't have the desire or the time to do anything more than regular oil changes or install new crap on it. I have little time off and do not want to spend it tearing down a bike. I have even lost the desire to work on my other toys. I want to play when i am home so for me it was well worth it. Everyone has their own reasons for why they have it or not. I love this bike but i know they tend to have a few problems so if mine craps out i can just drop it off and go fishing. So far so good and i will be very happy if i never have to use it.

Old 10-11-2008, 05:47 AM
birdnlarry
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Cost of doin' business

I figured when I got my Anniversary edition (08 FLHTCU) that considering the cost of the bike with all the extras I got when I bought it (Everything the dealer installs is covered) it was worth the expense. I plan on keeping it for at least 6 of the 7 years that the warranty covers and I like to put "miles of smiles" on it. It will be a bonus for whoever buys it from me and it will be a little extra peace of mind when I'm on the road. Heck, I hope I never need it but if I do ...

Old 10-11-2008, 06:36 AM
harleybob
Cruiser

I never bought a extended warranty for my vehicles. But I am glad I bought it for my 05 eg classic. 3 tires with nails in them covered. Shaft seal leak covered. Primary seal leak covered.2 motor mounts covered. Now the warranty has expired. Now I sit in pins and needles.

Old 10-11-2008, 07:23 AM
TexasRedneck
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dude, if ya bought a 3-year extended warranty on yer EG, yer STILL covered - it starts AFTER the factory warranty runs out.

Old 10-11-2008, 07:36 AM
WarriorHD
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I got the 3 year extended when I bought my Deluxe...it was about $1000 or so. I'm sure I'll use it somewhere down the road....The HD service contract is nice because it does warranty all HD parts, even some of the dealer installed ones. On the service plan documentation, all you have to do is call the 800 number and they will set you up with the dealer closest to you if you can't get back to your purchasing dealer....Funny thing is I didnt buy the extended for my Sportster and a few months ago, I had an electrical problem that cost me $350 to fix cause I could not find it myself...two more problems and the warranty will pay for itself..stinks that I had it on the wrong bike though at the time...lol

Old 10-11-2008, 08:17 AM
Ultra Will
Advanced

Can anyone tell me, why can dealers refuse to perform extended warranty work if it is a Harley sponsored warranty? A dealer close to me says that he won't sell them or honor them. Another one says that he will sell them but he won't do extended warranty work on anything that he doesn't sell the warranty for.

Quick Reply: Extended warranty - Yes/no?