Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Chubby 575's Thumbs down

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2008 | 01:01 AM
Comfortably Numb
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by 2006ultra
I have an 06 which doesn't have the wires through the bars like the newer bikes. I could be wrong but even if I tried to put the wires through the bars if it's even possible I don't think they wouldn't be long enough.
I don't have eveything back together yet, can someone tell me if my wires will go through these bars? Remember I have an 06! If they will I'll start over and wire them internally because that would help a little if I could get the grips slid on farther.
I don't think any of the stockers have wiring run inside the bars. That's why the Chubby's have a bigger diameter....so you can run the harnesses inside so you eliminate having to look at the fugly things.
Also the harnesses may very well be TOO short. That's why you extend them youself, or buy an extension kit.
The holes in the Chubby's under where the hand controls mount are there to thread the harnesses INTO the inside of the bars. There is a third hole down at the middle of the bars for the harnesses to exit.
Pulling the harnesses through CAN be a drag, but worth it in the end.

You can do a search to find some good tutorials on how to install Chubbies on this site. I'd have been lost without them when I did mine...come to think of it, I was lost even with them.

CN

Old 10-11-2008 | 01:25 AM
kansasroadking
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Peppa1
The 575's are made to run all the wires inside the bars and will not work properly if you don't !!! Sell the bars and buy you some Khrome Werks Sweepers+2. Great bars, 1" so you don't run the wires internally on those.
These sweepers are good bars and don't have the "wheelbarrow" effect. my buddy has some on his '07 RK and loves them, he's 5'7"
or.... just buy some Heritage bars, 56569-86, rotate them down a bit and be done with it... $45.56 at chicago HD

Old 10-11-2008 | 06:46 AM
2006ultra
|
Road Captain

Here's the lown down, the stock wires are long enough to go through and connect.

The left wiring harness needs to be connected behind the radio mounting plate inside the fairing and the right harness is fine where it is.

You do have to take the harness apart to route the wires. It really cleans up the handlebars.

You better be sure that you like the bars before you do this project because this ain't no easy job to undo if you don't.

The quality of these bars are as good as the quality of the D&D fatcats if you've even seen those so don't hesitate to spend the money just make sure the bars fit you because you don't want to have to start over. It's a pain in the a$$ but worth it.

Old 10-11-2008 | 07:33 AM
soon to be
Road Captain