Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any Ideas? Here's the problem....

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2008, 01:53 PM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 25 Posts
Default Any Ideas? Here's the problem....

My SG has 16K on the clock. For the past 2 weeks when I start the bike for the first time in the morning I hear a loud tapping sound coming from up high on the front cylnder. As the bike heats up it goes away and subsequent starts throughout the day are normal.
I was using Amsoil but about a month ago went back to dino.
Also, I don't know if this is related but when I let off the throttle (even slightly) I smell exhaust. This has been going on almost since the bike was new. It is more noticable in cooler ambient temps. When it's 85 or above I tend not to notice the smell.
Is this loud tapping something to be concerned about?
I called an Indy and he said the lifters are probably going bad. I'm thinking with only 16K should this be happening.
All opinions are welcome.

Frank

Old 10-09-2008, 02:00 PM
jdreed520
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

First thing i would do is check the exhaust and make sure it is tight...if you cant tell you could just change out the gasket and see if that fixes it.....other wise i would look towards the lifters/cams, I buddy had a cam bearing go bad and it made some noise but went away...we had to replace the oil pump and bearings....but all is good now. I hope this helps.

Old 10-09-2008, 02:06 PM
beary
Grand HDF Member
Received 282 Likes on 187 Posts

I can't say this is your problem, but I had a lifter that recently started sounding a little louder than the rest of the top end noise. Long story short is that I had a crack in my Y-pipe, (recylinder exhaust). Once that was fixed, the lifter noise was gone. You might check to for blowby where the pipes and slip-ons are connected. May just need a little tightening at those connections.

Beary

Old 10-09-2008, 02:45 PM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 274 Likes on 172 Posts

An exhaust leak at the head can sound like a tapping sound. I would get your tools out and ready. Fire the bike up and immediately tighten the flange nuts a little before anything has a chance to heat up. Hopefully that does it.

The sound is probably going away after the bike gets warm because the metal is expanding and sealing the leak.

If it's not an exhaust leak and is something mechanical get on it quick. A lifter or bearing failing can cause catastrophic damage.

Just my .02
Zach

Old 10-09-2008, 03:02 PM
Beemervet
Ultimate HDF Member

Received 435 Likes on 317 Posts

A blown head gasket can behave the same way.

Old 10-09-2008, 03:38 PM
Streetrunner
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Biggzed
An exhaust leak at the head can sound like a tapping sound. I would get your tools out and ready. Fire the bike up and immediately tighten the flange nuts a little before anything has a chance to heat up. Hopefully that does it.

Zach
Biggzed, I'm hoping you are correct with your opinion, that's the easy fix.
It actually makes sense since I smell exhaust but why would I only smell it on deceleration?

Old 10-09-2008, 03:40 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 634 Likes on 394 Posts

Originally Posted by jdreed520
First thing i would do is check the exhaust and make sure it is tight...
Bingo. I had a similar noise on my '05 Ultra Classic. I tightened the 2 nuts securing each exhaust flange to the cylinder head and the noise went away. I now check the nuts twice a year.

Old 10-09-2008, 06:11 PM
Biggzed
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 274 Likes on 172 Posts

but why would I only smell it on deceleration?
You got me on that one. I can't think of anything that makes sense, but it wouldn't surprise me. Beemervet may be on to something also, but hopefully not.

Zach