Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Synthetic at 1K Mile or 5K Mile Service?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 08:51 PM
Xcrossbow
Stellar HDF Member
Received 279 Likes on 177 Posts
Default Synthetic at 1K Mile or 5K Mile Service?

Coming up on 700 miles. Selling dealer told me not to switch to synthetic until the 5k service. Servicing dealer says to switch next week when 1k is done. Need input please.

Old 10-08-2008, 08:55 PM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HD-CVO Models come factory filled w/ syn in all three holes...

Go figure...

Old 10-08-2008, 08:56 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 671 Likes on 535 Posts

i think synthetic is so good at reducing friction that the motor will not (wear in)or break in properly with syn so i wait untill 10000 miles to make the switch.

Old 10-08-2008, 08:57 PM
Fast FLHX
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Up to you, unless you have a race bike it really doesn't matter...seriously.

Old 10-08-2008, 09:01 PM
ljanssen1
6th Gear

I switched to mobil one at my 5000 last year when I got to my 10000 this year I switched
to Amsoil in all 3 holes seems to be running much quiter and smoother.

Old 10-08-2008, 09:13 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by bigdumbnoitall00
i think synthetic is so good at reducing friction that the motor will not (wear in)or break in properly with syn so i wait untill 10000 miles to make the switch.
The only issue here is seating the rings, and this should occur very quickly, probably within the first 100 miles. In fact if they don't seat early, they may never seat, which is a good argument for a good break-in procedure--and that doesn't mean fast or hard. Generally following the mfr's break-in recommendations, taking care to vary the speeds constantly for the first 500-1000 miles, will assure the rings will seat properly.

The argument for holding off on syn for a while is to allow the rings to seat without the extra lubricity you usually find in synthetic oil. Road & Track magazine commented on this in their Technical Correspondence section several years ago, interviewing experts in the field to come to the conclusion that it would be advisable to allow a few K to start on a synthetic regimen. No hard mileage recommendation was given.

I don't know about other brands, but Royal Purple recommends changing to their synthetic oil at 3500 miles. I changed to synthetic at 2k, and would not have a problem changing even at 1k. Since it won't hurt to run fossil oil for a few K miles, I would change at 1k, 2k, or 5k--whichever you feel best with. I don't think doing any of the above will alter the bike's performance or longevity.

I would, however, change the oil several times in the first 5k miles. I changed mine at 500 (fossil), 1k (fossil), 2k (synthetic), 5k (synthetic), and have changed it every 5k thereafter.

Old 10-08-2008, 09:32 PM
RBWIDE
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I changed to Syn3 at 1K, and Amsoil at 2.5K. Change it about every 5K now. My bike runs great, and doesn't use oil. YMMV

Old 10-08-2008, 09:39 PM
Miami Cruzer
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RBWIDE
I changed to Syn3 at 1K, and Amsoil at 2.5K. Change it about every 5K now. My bike runs great, and doesn't use oil. YMMV
THAT's funny, RB.......

I did the same thing you did, dealer put syn3 in at 1,000K and I took it in a couple of weeks ago for my new V&H, SE a/c and SERT and had them install AMSOIL all 3 holes at 2.5K.

and then DYNO'd.

Old 10-08-2008, 09:46 PM
oldhippie
Stellar HDF Member
Received 117 Likes on 70 Posts

What iclick said. +1

The following users liked this post:
Hmarashi (06-06-2019)
Old 10-08-2008, 10:00 PM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by iclick
The only issue here is seating the rings, and this should occur very quickly, probably within the first 100 miles. In fact if they don't seat early, they may never seat, which is a good argument for a good break-in procedure--and that doesn't mean fast or hard. Generally following the mfr's break-in recommendations, taking care to vary the speeds constantly for the first 500-1000 miles, will assure the rings will seat properly.

The argument for holding off on syn for a while is to allow the rings to seat without the extra lubricity you usually find in synthetic oil. Road & Track magazine commented on this in their Technical Correspondence section several years ago, interviewing experts in the field to come to the conclusion that it would be advisable to allow a few K to start on a synthetic regimen. No hard mileage recommendation was given.

I don't know about other brands, but Royal Purple recommends changing to their synthetic oil at 3500 miles. I changed to synthetic at 2k, and would not have a problem changing even at 1k. Since it won't hurt to run fossil oil for a few K miles, I would change at 1k, 2k, or 5k--whichever you feel best with. I don't think doing any of the above will alter the bike's performance or longevity.

I would, however, change the oil several times in the first 5k miles. I changed mine at 500 (fossil), 1k (fossil), 2k (synthetic), 5k (synthetic), and have changed it every 5k thereafter.
I did basically the same exact thing. I changed the oil & filter at about 500, and 1000 with fossil oil, then at 2500 I changed the oil and filter using Red Line fully synthetic. I also dropped the trans lube and primary oil and switched them both over to Red Line Heavy Shockproof and V-Twin Primary lube respectively. I have about 3000mi. on my FLHX now and she is running like a well balanced top!

Quick Reply: Synthetic at 1K Mile or 5K Mile Service?