Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Synthetic at 1K Mile or 5K Mile Service?

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 10:07 PM
Fast FLHX
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Funny, if the rings seat at 100 miles what is the point of break in procedures up to 1K?

This is always a hot topic....you need enough cylinder pressure and heat to get the rings to seat. Babying it is not the same as breaking in a motor, babying generally results in the rings not seating and thus burning oil.

Old 10-08-2008, 11:09 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Fast FLHX
Funny, if the rings seat at 100 miles what is the point of break in procedures up to 1K?

This is always a hot topic....you need enough cylinder pressure and heat to get the rings to seat. Babying it is not the same as breaking in a motor, babying generally results in the rings not seating and thus burning oil.
My impression is that modern metalurgy allows rings to seat rapidly, perhaps even quicker than 100 miles. As for prolonging the break-in period, I always follow strict procedures as a precaution and to allow other components to wear-in properly. I don't think this is as necessary as it was in the old days, as modern machining allows closer tolerances and better fit of components.

Old 10-08-2008, 11:18 PM
ButtMan1000
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Did both of mine at 300 miles,

Rings are seated way before that,

A mentioned, Harley puts Syn3 in the CVO's at birth,

Old 10-09-2008, 02:09 AM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

LOL, and now you have a very clear answer to your question..................I did mine at 1k.

Old 10-09-2008, 03:50 AM
dgriffith
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you have a way of measuring the temps. of your engine when new, and again after it breaks in there is a deal if difference in the temperature of it. The cylinders have a cross hatch pattern in them to microscopically seat/wear in to the shape of the rings and vice/verse. When that occurs the friction is reduced and the BREAK IN is completed. In the mean time small parts of metal fall into the oil and need to be removed. Not by the filter. It.s only 5 Micron. 1 micron= .000039 That's .000195 or about .2 thousands of an inch. So the slurry of fine metal particles are floating around in the oil to you drain them out.

Old 10-09-2008, 04:26 AM
robzuc97
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Iclick has saved me from typing. Syth is too good. Engine needs to wear some first. Go with dealer recommendations.

Old 10-09-2008, 06:06 AM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by robzuc97
Iclick has saved me from typing. Syth is too good. Engine needs to wear some first. Go with dealer recommendations.
I wonder if you bought a CVO Model (that comes prefilled with Synthetic) what the dealer recommendation would be?

Last edited by RODEO; 10-09-2008 at 06:53 AM.
Old 10-09-2008, 06:54 AM
Windup08
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

There used to be a link to an article on this site regarding break in with pictures to show what rings and pistons looked like when broken in the right way or the wrong way. Babying you bike too much is almost worse than breaking in too hard. The recommendation was to run the RPMs up a little in each gear, then let the bike slow down with engine braking to get the deceleration pressure also. If done right the break-in will be done within the first 50 miles. I started by running mine up to 3k rpms in the first 3 gears, then letting it slow without using other brakes, then up to 3.5k, then up to 4k and finally just under 4.5k. Then I just rode it more or less normally up to 100 miles.....then changed the engine oil and filter myself to get rid of any metal in the oil. Then the dealer did the 1k service and switched everything to Syn3. According to the article the most critical part of the break-in is the first 20-50 miles....don't redline it, but don't baby it either.

Old 10-09-2008, 07:00 AM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Windup08
There used to be a link to an article on this site regarding break in with pictures to show what rings and pistons looked like when broken in the right way or the wrong way. Babying you bike too much is almost worse than breaking in too hard. The recommendation was to run the RPMs up a little in each gear, then let the bike slow down with engine braking to get the deceleration pressure also. If done right the break-in will be done within the first 50 miles. I started by running mine up to 3k rpms in the first 3 gears, then letting it slow without using other brakes, then up to 3.5k, then up to 4k and finally just under 4.5k. Then I just rode it more or less normally up to 100 miles.....then changed the engine oil and filter myself to get rid of any metal in the oil. Then the dealer did the 1k service and switched everything to Syn3. According to the article the most critical part of the break-in is the first 20-50 miles....don't redline it, but don't baby it either.
That just sounds like excellent advice! Thanks! Just in time too because I pick up my 09 tomorrow and will follow your guidelines. It just makes sense, including the engine braking part. Accell and decell and I also will drop the oil too because I am a firm believer in ridding that first batch early...

Old 10-09-2008, 07:06 AM
daharleyrdr
Tourer
Default Syn 1K or 5K Service?

On my last 4 bikes Ive done the same just as I did on my present bike 08 Electra Glide Classic at 1K service dealer put in Synthetic in all three holes never had a problem the bike is going in for 5K this Satutday, doesnt burn oil or skip a beat!!
My 2 Cents Ride Safe BV

Quick Reply: Synthetic at 1K Mile or 5K Mile Service?