Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MP3 Question for Bagger Riders

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2008, 09:52 PM
FLSTCI nut
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Cryptoboy
A regular CD is 128kbps, so increasing that probably won't change too much. Keep in mind that mp3's are compressed files, and you will lose some clarity as a result, especially on a car/bike stereo.
A bitrate for plain CDDA Audio, for what purpose?

It's 44100 Hz or 44.1 KHz.

Audio CD's native format is 44.1 kHz, stereo.

Old 11-25-2008, 10:17 PM
2of2
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Another option if you upgrade your stereo or are adding a stereo to an Electra Glide. I went with Biketronics and paid 20 bucks extra for the USB hub on the head unit. I dropped a couple hundred songs on a jump drive and I can toggle through using the hand controls. Sounds great with the upgraded speakers at all speeds.

Old 11-26-2008, 09:40 AM
pxs130
Cruiser

Originally Posted by bikerRN
While we have gotten into the ipod thing, I need some input. I have heard a lot of folks on here say not to use an ipod with a hard drive, stick with flash memory. I wuld like to hear from anyone who has used a hard drive model successflully. I do not plan on hard mounting it to the bars so that might cut down the vibration. A friend who rides a metric has his on his belt clip all the time with no problems. I was thinking of stashing mine in a lower and have it wrapped in a t-shirt or something. I just hate to spend 200 on a 16g nano, when i can spend 50 more and get a 120g and put everything I own on it.
I use a hard drive player on my RK with no problems. I have an old iRiver 20gb player that I bought about 7 or 8 years ago. It's velcro'd to my dash and plays through the J&M amplified speakers mounted on my bars. I've never had a problem with it skipping or problems due to vibrations. Hard Drive players are susceptible to skipping from vibrations, but I have never had any problems in the 5 years that it's been on my bike.... but it's probably dependant on the quality of the player, not how it's mounted.

Old 11-26-2008, 10:48 AM
gregsworld
Tourer

I know there was an issue with older HK radio software versions whereas mp3's tended to skip. If you have your software updated, it must be something else. The discussion about the skipping I saw on the Kuryakyn site. I always burn 192 or higher and have no issues. Good luck with your problem.

Greg

Old 11-26-2008, 12:34 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Sheep
Ok. I've been burning MP3 CDs at 192 kbps with iTunes for my bike stereo. Above 70 mph I get a lot of distortion/skipping/fading in and out stuff when playing mp3s. I don't get it when using a regular cd.

So my question is whether anyone else is experiancing this problem? I'm thinking I'll change my quality setting to 256 kbps second and see if it improves. If not I'll try 384.
For almost two years the MP3 player has been running every time I've been on the bike, and I never had one skip, one fade, or any other issue with it. For the past two months I've been using mostly the MP3 player on my new Zumo, mostly just because it is new and there are no moving parts to wear out. Most of my music is 128 kbps @ 44 khz, but a few are at 96, 160, 192, or 256. With all the extraneous noises present in a riding environment I doubt if you'll hear the difference between 96 and 256kbps. I know I can't, but my ears aren't the greatest.

Last edited by iclick; 11-26-2008 at 12:38 PM.
Old 11-26-2008, 02:50 PM
TKrustyK
Advanced

I used to ride with my I-pod mounted to the filler door in an Otter box. Twice the I-pod locked up and I had to reset it. I no longer ride with it. When I burn a CD I make it a data CD to get more songs and I use the default settings in I-Tunes. Never had a problem and the volume is good.

Old 02-20-2009, 11:58 PM
Sooner Ironworker
Stage III

I agree with what those who said burning the MP3s on your CD at a slow burn rate. I use 9x burning the MP3 selections as a data disc of course. My auto volumn control works perfectly at any speed (up to 90 mph) with no skipping, stalling, etc., and all labels and song info are displayed. As far as what bit rate to burn or the mhz, I don't think it matters with regard to playback problems or stereo separation. An officianado may notice the "quality" difference regarding tones and instrument frequencies with a low bit rate, but just to enjoy a good ridin' tune, high bit rate don't matter in my opinion.

Last edited by Sooner Ironworker; 02-21-2009 at 12:02 AM.
Old 02-21-2009, 12:38 AM
RexBuck
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

CD works great for me. Burn with iTunes - get about 100 songs per CD - that is like 5 hours. If I want something different, can change CD's when I stop for gas.

Old 02-21-2009, 07:41 AM
EGlideKid
Road Master

Originally Posted by Sheep
Ok. I've been burning MP3 CDs at 192 kbps with iTunes for my bike stereo. Above 70 mph I get a lot of distortion/skipping/fading in and out stuff when playing mp3s. I don't get it when using a regular cd.

So my question is whether anyone else is experiancing this problem? I'm thinking I'll change my quality setting to 256 kbps second and see if it improves. If not I'll try 384.
I can't remember ever having a skip or other problems with MP3's on a CD except for one problem... I went thru several different types of CD burning software and tried other types of blank discs because the HK stereo wasn't able to find songs above a certain number. It would play fine for about 60+ songs, then just search beyond that.
Finally got smart when I bought my Zumo... now I keep ~900 songs on a 4gb SD card and don't bother with CD's anymore.

Old 02-21-2009, 08:10 AM
santajim
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 329 Likes on 224 Posts
Thumbs up

I found a case for my I-Pod that has a belt clip I hook that on my clutch cable plug into aux and listen to my fav songs all day long no problems except hard to change with gloves on but still can do

Quick Reply: MP3 Question for Bagger Riders