Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Squeaky Brakes what to do???

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 08:56 PM
vickon
Road Warrior
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

took mine in for the recall/svc bulletin ...squeak is back after about 3500 miles ...going back to see if anything can be done

Old 10-08-2008, 09:19 PM
StrongIslander
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If ya don't want 'em to squeel, go pick-up a can of "Disc Brake Quiet". Pull the front and rear pads off, clean em up with a wire brush or wheel. Now use product as directed, two/three light coats are better than one heavy. Better than what the 'service tech' will do (he just wipes 'em off, then one heavy coat). NO MORE NOISE. If ya have less than half the pads usable thicknest remaining, save some time and use new pads and prep at your convenienece...Happy Trails

Old 10-08-2008, 09:29 PM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by StrongIslander
If ya don't want 'em to squeel, go pick-up a can of "Disc Brake Quiet". Pull the front and rear pads off, clean em up with a wire brush or wheel. Now use product as directed, two/three light coats are better than one heavy. Better than what the 'service tech' will do (he just wipes 'em off, then one heavy coat). NO MORE NOISE. If ya have less than half the pads usable thicknest remaining, save some time and use new pads and prep at your convenienece...Happy Trails
+1.....rather than letting someone touch my bike I dont know personally, I just pulled the rear caliper off. Went through about a good hour of cleaning them so you could eat off them....and then I also cleaned the backs of the pads. I applied a coat of disc brake quiet, and the noise never came back. Total cost about $4.00 and a hour of my time.....oh and at least I know its done right, and everything has been torqued back down to spec.

Old 05-19-2015, 02:19 PM
drspencer
Road Warrior
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by EasternSP
If you don't want to go directly to the Lyndal brake pads, you might try filing or sanding the leading edge of the brake pads so it forms a 45 degree angle. The leading edge would be the edge facing the rear of the bike. In other words, ya don't want the leading edge to be a straight corner on the rotor surface.

The leading edge faces the rear of the bike?

Seems counter intuitive, can you explain further?

Thanks

Old 05-19-2015, 02:27 PM
brandonwbeck
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The wheel turns clockwise if looking from the right side. when you apply the brakes the rear most part of the brake pad touches the rotor first making it the leading edge.

with this being filed down it makes the transition better. The spraying with brake quiet prevents vibrations between the pad and the caliper. Brake grease works well for this also.

Old 05-19-2015, 02:30 PM
Heritage98
Advanced

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I had this problem on the front of my Street Glide and when I changed the front wheel I put some disc brake quiet on the back of the pads and it's all Quiet now.

Old 05-19-2015, 03:30 PM
Rock Chalk
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

6+ years as a dead thread and its back to life...wow! I was wondering when i read the first post with 2300 miles on his '08...like, dang dude...ride the thing once in awhile...then I checked the date

Old 05-19-2015, 04:09 PM
BigTwins
Cruiser
Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Haaaaaa.... I did the same thing....I was thinking " Holy crap, try riding the bike and using the brakes more than 4 x a year"....Till I read your post and realized this was ancient...Haaaaaaaaa

Old 05-19-2015, 08:29 PM
Potato_Potato
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I remember filling my mom’s wine glasses with different levels of water and rubbing wet fingers on the edge of the glasses to play a tune — its called harmonics.

Lightly run a file on the edges of the pads & spay with brake cleaner, clean the caliper including the pistons. Then apply brake paste on the pads where they contact the caliper pistons.

Old 05-19-2015, 09:31 PM
Hogster 1
Tourer

Originally Posted by drspencer
The leading edge faces the rear of the bike?

Seems counter intuitive, can you explain further?

Thanks
Damn, I hope the dr does NOT stand for Doctor

Quick Reply: Squeaky Brakes what to do???