Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question -about spark plugs-mechanics

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-2008, 11:22 AM
wildeano
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question -about spark plugs-mechanics

My 07 e-glide has been giving me trouble when starting after its good and hot. I mean its cranking good but hesitates to start until ive pushed the starter button in series of about 3 times,maybe 4 seconds each time. I know my plugs are new, but the back plug is almost pure white and the front is a carmel color. Ive had it to one harley dealer and cant find anything wrong after putting on a computer and checking engine. The bike is stock (15000 miles ) except for sreamin eagle slip ons, the ones in catalog that does not require any ecm calibration. But they were put on 5000 miles ago. All the harley dealer said is the bike is running extremely lean. 91 or better octane fuel all times. The bike runs great at all times x-cept for this problem. I would appreciate any help or thoughts from the mechanically inclined,, as i can do a lot but when it comes to fuel injection and things of this nature im lost. Thanks for your input

Old 10-08-2008, 11:52 AM
dex0807
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

"The bike is stock (15000 miles ) except for sreamin eagle slip ons, the ones in catalog that does not require any ecm calibration."

By changing the exhaust or intake you move more air compared to the same amount of fuel resulting in the lean condition. The fix would be a Power commander or similar, something that you can adjust the fuel rate. Running an engine in a lean condition is bad for an air cooled motor and I suggest that you look into getting that fixed.

Old 10-08-2008, 12:39 PM
SoCal_Pappy
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

LEAN = HEAT
Finish the Stage 1 (Fuel Management System & Air Kit) don't waste you $$$ on a Dealer Download as they are required to adjust per EPA Standards and that's still LEAN. You WILL improve the performance as well as addressing the LEAN conditions by finishing the Stage 1... and ALWAYS USE 91+ Octane - And a Good Syn Oil will help with Engine heat and wear..

Old 10-08-2008, 01:18 PM
honestbob
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Might want to consider a IED these are inexpensive and take 10 min to install I put on the nightrider 02ied and was very pleased they are not as rich as the XIEDs but with stock breather I think they work better.