Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

PCIII or Sert, and WHY

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 10:08 PM
Bacon
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default PCIII or Sert, and WHY

I own an 08 Ultra Classic, and I was wondering what you all recommend, a PCIII or a SERT, and why. I narrowed down to these two choices as they are the predominant fuel management devices I hear of people using. I know a lot of people say "why go with a PCIII when it bypasses the o2 sensors", but is this really a concern? Your feedback please.

Old 10-07-2008, 10:21 PM
120PLUS
Cruiser

SCRAP both & go with a Zipper's ThunderMax with AutoTune Module. You'll never have to tune it for the most part!

Old 10-07-2008, 10:35 PM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

If you are into tuning and adjusting, get an add on unit. If you want to get it done right the first time, have your bike tuned with a SERT. This involves taking your bike to a good dyno shop.

You will find countless threads here concerning decel popping, poor MPG, starting problems, etc . . . All these threads were started by people trying to avoid a dyno tune by using an add-on unit and a canned map. On the other hand there are countless happy people with PCIIIs, T-Max, FuelPak, etc.

I ran a PCIII for 4K miles and eventually wasn't happy with the way my bike ran. I took off the PCIII and had a very good shop tune my bike with a SERT. That was 10K miles ago and it runs perfectly now.

JMO for what it's worth.
Steve

Old 10-07-2008, 10:40 PM
Harleypingman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts

Bacon: I have a SERT and like it. Also have the DTT Twin Scan II with 02 sensors to tune it myself further if I want to fool with it, or later should I do engine work.

As for TMAX, it's not much of an auto tune system IMO since it does nothing to automatically adjust ignition timing which is 1/2 the tuning equation and, so far as I know, they don't offer a product for the '08 and '09 bikes with electronic throttle. You still have to load maps, find what works for your build, etc.

I have never used a PCIII.

Check out the TTS Master Tune device. They supplied HD with the SERT and software until this year and now offer it under their own name with enhancements. If I was in the market for a fuel managment device, I'd be looking at TTS and SERT. There's a sticky on the TTS product in the Technical forum section on HDF under the Electrical sub-forum that has useful information.

Old 10-08-2008, 08:32 PM
Xcrossbow
Stellar HDF Member
Received 279 Likes on 177 Posts

Had Rinehart Slip ons, SE AC and SE Super Tuner installed today by the master tech at local dealer. Asked him why not a SERT and he told me it had been replace by the SEST.

Old 10-08-2008, 08:52 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 670 Likes on 534 Posts

as for why.... epa harley met the epa standards by runing 07 and up very lean 14.7-1 afr(air fuel ratio) this makes for a hot motor that is prone to detonation.tuners will let u set the afr and timing depending on your mods most air cooled motors run best and coolest between 13-13.5 afr.and then theres tweekin for your riding style i tell the dyno guy what i want and let him figure out how to do it.harleys dual mode sometimes closed and sometimes open loop can get real tricky thats what makes thunder max appeling it is a true closed loop but its pricey and as of yet you pretty much have to do the work yourself with some assistance through e mail or phone. sert also pricy is easy take it to the dealer or good indy and hope they know what there doing sert is complicated and some less reputable dealers will charge u for dyno time and only load a canned map.pc111 is less expensive and will do most of what sert will do but is less complicated so getting a good tune should be easier.im lucky enough to live near fuelmoto and get great dyno service.

Old 10-08-2008, 09:08 PM
hogbag07
Road Captain

Warranty with sert no warranty with pc111

Old 10-08-2008, 09:16 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member

no warranty with or related to any aftermarket part AND many screamin eagle parts even if installed by dealer.

Old 10-08-2008, 09:19 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member

its also illegal to tune it any ritcher than 14.7-1 so many dealers will only return you to 14.7-1. thats a lot of money for a sert to keep u lean

Old 10-08-2008, 09:21 PM
hogbag07
Road Captain

I had a pc111 on my 06 dyna and had to remove it before warranty work. My dealer installed my SERT on my 07 flht and he has no problems with the SERT with warranty work.

Quick Reply: PCIII or Sert, and WHY