Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Road King Classic Tunes

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 07:38 PM
Aces&Eights
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Road King Classic Tunes

Has anyone put a radio on a Road king classic? If anyone has I would like to hear what you did. I have been thinking about mounting the speakers in the lids of the saddle bags and a small amp in one of the bags and using an ipod as the source. Any ideas or photos would be appreciated

Old 10-06-2008, 08:03 PM
I am Jerry
Road Master

Go ahead and get yourself an after market fairing with tunes. You can still take it off when you want to. I don't think having the speakers "only" behind you would satisfy my ears.

Old 10-06-2008, 08:22 PM
DGlide04
Elite HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you're looking for rear-mounted speakers, look here: http://loudlids.com/ They look pretty interesting, no prices, but I'm going to guess they're pretty pricey.

Do a google search on Road King radios, you'll get dozens of different sites to look at. The HD radio looks interesting, but for $800.00, no thanks. A set of good amplified speakers, a mini amp (150 watts or less) and a hook up for your Fm equipped MP3 player seem like a much better alternative. That's what I'm looking at for next year, I'm still shopping for the best speakers though.

Old 10-06-2008, 08:28 PM
bigdumbnoitall00
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 673 Likes on 537 Posts

seen some speakers mounted in chrome cans look like a backwards bullet turn signal mounted from the bottom of the mirrior stud looked ok and didnt clutter up the bars to bad and he was runnin a small amp with a ipod.but if you got deep pockets hoppe quadzilla sounds pretty sweet

Old 10-07-2008, 02:56 AM
eagletalon
Advanced

I-Pod 80g + mini pre-amp+oldschool usa made fozgate punch 400 4ch amp
4> 6 x 9 infinity kappa loud series 693.7i easy install but takes a little time and skill with the drimel tool for speaker cutouts or have some one thats done these types of cuts do it for you. this is what my install consist of .
just shareing some option. the i-pod sets in a metal case that i drilled a hole thru it and used the dash bolt to hold it in plase paded with neoprene base for scratch protection & vibration, between case & dash. monster cables for audio and charging. if you have any ??? just ask i will try to answer also will also take more pic`s if needed. the speakers have small magnets & come with external crossovers decieving but these speakers are awsum sounding gives very awsum Thump/bump but were they really shine is in there clairity mids & high`s the topper is i still have room for the wife & I to place our jackets & basic gear is perfect for the short runs/daytripper. I know most of us if your with your lady need that extra pack on the back rest for the long hall anyhow thats how i Roll. C-ya

Attached Thumbnails Road King Classic Tunes-my-rk-013.jpg   Road King Classic Tunes-my-rk-028.jpg   Road King Classic Tunes-my-rk-027.jpg   Road King Classic Tunes-my-rk-023.jpg  
Old 10-07-2008, 06:02 AM
roxnatwist
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The detachable fairing is the way to go. I got the Firebagger because it was less than half the price of competitive models and it locks so you get at least a little security. I ordered it without the stereo so I could build my own. I went with a Kenwood sat ready head unit with inputs for mp3 and a USB port for a thumb drive, Pyle PLMRA120 Marine amp and Polk MM651 marine grade speakers. I haven't gotten it all put together yet but I think it will be a great system. I had planned to post pics when I got it done.
I have heard the handlebar mount stereo systems- they sound okay but I didn't think I could ever get the sound quality I was looking for out of them. Plus, I like the detach feature and the extra protection of the fairing.

Old 10-07-2008, 12:04 PM
eagletalon
Advanced

Originally Posted by roxnatwist
The detachable fairing is the way to go. I got the Firebagger because it was less than half the price of competitive models and it locks so you get at least a little security. I ordered it without the stereo so I could build my own. I went with a Kenwood sat ready head unit with inputs for mp3 and a USB port for a thumb drive, Pyle PLMRA120 Marine amp and Polk MM651 marine grade speakers. I haven't gotten it all put together yet but I think it will be a great system. I had planned to post pics when I got it done.
I have heard the handlebar mount stereo systems- they sound okay but I didn't think I could ever get the sound quality I was looking for out of them. Plus, I like the detach feature and the extra protection of the fairing.
good idea thinking about getting one myself the only thing is when you want to ride/hopping around without the fairing you have no tunes! ohwell what to do? what to do?

Old 10-07-2008, 12:26 PM
roxnatwist
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I figured if I took off the fairing to ride around town, I'd go back to the mp3 and earbuds. That's why I wanted the fairing to be detachable...sometimes you just gotta have the wind in your face!

Old 10-07-2008, 12:48 PM
leohd
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

J&M makes great amplified speakers sound great and look good

Old 10-07-2008, 10:03 PM
karz10
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

fairings, bolt on speakers, radios, oh my...

http://www.mmi.org/merrington/radio.html

have fun, there's a lot to choose from in here...

Quick Reply: Road King Classic Tunes