Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions on heated gear.

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 06:07 PM
heavymetalthunder
Grand HDF Member
Received 605 Likes on 440 Posts
Default Questions on heated gear.

Whats best,heated liners or heeated jacket and pants to keep you warm around 35-40 degrees? . I switched from a ultra to a road Glide this year and I'm getting alot more air on me. Thats ok in the summer but I'm old and my body doesn't regulate its temperature anymore. That being said, I'm going with heated gloves and socks this winter. I wear insulated coveralls but not sure there going to be enough this winter. I'm missing the batwing for its wind protection already. But whats better at keeping your legs and esp the knees warm? don't say lowers cause the money's not there for the this year. Besides not sure I like them on a RG, they look better on a batwing. Thanks and ride safe. HMT

Old 10-06-2008, 06:12 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,226 Likes on 1,841 Posts

If it were me I'd go with the liners. If you wait until during the summer you can go onto Gerbings outlet site and get some pretty good deals, but they close down in the cold season so they don't lose too much money.

Old 10-06-2008, 06:14 PM
Overdoo
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Heated gear

I have been using a heated jacket liner for a while now. In fact I don't even use my leather jacket any more. I have the Harley jacket. Gerbing makes the same jacket for less and as I said it's the same. I have the G3 gloves as well made by Gerbing. They work great and plug into the jacket. I ride now with a light Harley jacket with the jacket liner underneath in the coldest weather. I love it. When it warms up I either shut it off or if it's warm enough I take off the liner. Like I said no leather jacket bulk any more.

Old 10-06-2008, 06:47 PM
Dennydp
Elite HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 4 Posts

I have the Gerbing socks,gloves,pant and jacket liner.They work great(had them since96)rode in the 20s comfortably(untill I hit the ice and sand)

Old 10-06-2008, 06:54 PM
Ridewva
Grand HDF Member
Received 389 Likes on 219 Posts

Gerbings stuff is nice and seems to be what most here on this forum recommend. Make sure you get their thermostat, whatever it's called. (They used to call it a Heatroller)

Old 10-06-2008, 06:57 PM
Bruno
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I use and sell the Eclipse Brand and the liner is better than the vest. If you get the gloves and the liner, get a dual controller that way you can adjust each one individually. Rode this weekend in up state PA in 34 degrees and was toasty. I have ridden in 15-20 degrees before on a cruiser with no shield or lowers and was plenty warm. Go for it.

Old 10-06-2008, 07:10 PM
Ultra 08
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went with the full jacket and pants liners. Worked very well for me on my coldest ride at 10 degrees and riding 67 miles on the interstate. Gerbings is great and cheaper than H-D. Get the controller also.

Old 10-06-2008, 08:33 PM
notlost_nc
Road Master
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Ultra 08 that is one nice looking ride.

I vote for Gerbings, they've been good down to 16 degrees for me. You can use the vinyl lowers, they are easy to take off and put on, when winter comes it's function over looks. Whatever it takes to keep it flyin in the wind !

Old 10-07-2008, 05:44 PM
Buddha4
Road Warrior
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Gerbings/HD are the same items. You NEED the thermostat. the On/Off switch will simply **** you off (you will either "burn or freeze") I ran the liner pants and jacket with heated gloves through on a FXRG coat and was good for a 45 minute commute in single digit temps. The only concern is that "Gerbings" with warranty with a "Gerbings" dealer . I had had a HD glove go bad while on a ride and pulled into a HD dealer they had another set of gloves in stock and simply swapped them out sinc eI was traveling they didn;'t even ask about a recept to see if the gloves were in the warranty period.

Last edited by Buddha4; 10-07-2008 at 05:47 PM.
Old 10-07-2008, 06:07 PM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 501 Likes on 259 Posts

Gerbing heated gear outlet.... hurry because supply is dwindling
http://heatedclothingoutlet.com/index.shtml

Only other place I've seen it discounted is Gran Priz Kawasaki/Yamaha, in Colorado... but it's a good deal, 20% off or better, and free shipping (depending on prices)
http://www.grandprixmotorsports.com/default.asp

Otherwise EVERYONE gets MSRP.... (note: Gran Prix drop shipps, so they're kinda slow... buy before you need the stuff)

I slip the jacket liner, andthe gloves on, and use the dual controller.... better to regulate body, and hands.... I used an old Carhartt insulated overall, and was toasty

Quick Reply: Questions on heated gear.