Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Filter ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 03:50 PM
iclick
Extreme HDF Member
Received 48 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by scg1953
Does anyone have a favorite oil filter? The only one I have used is the chrome HD ( $15.00 a pop) but am wondering if there is another one that is maybe better and less $$'s. I have seen K&N but haven't inquired about them... Just in the habit of getting HD I guess.
I agree with those who recommend the black HD filters. Like the chrome items these are made by Purolator and have a 5-micron element, and I haven't seen another brand that can equal this. Black is $5 cheaper than chrome and will dissipate heat better. Nobody has ever noticed the black filter, which is hardly visible with the oil cooler and lowers installed on the bike. Even without the visual obstructions I doubt if anyone will notice the filter, nor will it detract from the overall appearance of the bike. Chrome calls attention to an area, and I never considered that region worthy of anyone looking at. If it's all black, your eye goes somewhere else.

I even removed the chrome cover from the cooler, mostly to inhance heat dissipation through convection but also to make the area less noticeable.

Old 10-07-2008, 04:30 PM
will2002
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2,132 Likes on 1,030 Posts

Remember now......The MOCO says,"Keep your Harley Davidson "ALL" Harley Davidson"! I'm just saying!

Old 10-07-2008, 04:38 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts
Question

Originally Posted by petemac
I buy the chrome HD one from Zanotti about 6 at a time.
Hey PeteMac, did you mean you're buying 6 (six) each time you purchase, or did you mean you're payin' $6 a piece. I read it as the former rather than that latter. But there's some folks reading this different. I'm sure I could be wrong. What say you?

Old 10-07-2008, 04:40 PM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

Oh, and to BertK, that's a lot closer to $6 than I ever would have imagined. Even in black. Thanks for the part# and info.

Old 10-07-2008, 04:54 PM
Coolhawg6622
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Wix or Napa Gold's..................Think the last batch were $2.85/filter.......

Old 10-07-2008, 10:05 PM
scg1953
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ngoti8tor
I bought one of these filters from K&P Engineering. Only thing is you're looking for something cheap.......and they aren't cheap, but they're sure a lot better for your engine. If you wanna cheap-out on stuff, you're gonna run into problems that cost you a lot more later on.

http://www.motorcycle.com/products/k...ter-71983.html
Wrong ! I'm not looking for cheap. I just think & $ 15.99 is kind of expensive when I can buy a very good quality filter for my car for no more than $ 10.00. Why is that ? Other than they know we will pay it. Price not always = better quality. I put a Frahm Extreme Guard ( name may not be exactly correct but it is the most expensive Frahm there is ) after about 50 miles my Jeep developed a knock. I pulled that thing off , I got a Wix filter at 1/2 the price and knock stopped. I haven't checked the site you suggested but will soon and thank you for the info.
If " cheap out " was the goal, I certainly would not have gotten a Harley. A Honda would have been much cheaper. Or for that matter spend $ 60.00 for synthetic oil when dino. would probably be fine at less than 1/2 the price.

Old 10-07-2008, 10:59 PM
MidnitEvil
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 60 Likes on 51 Posts

$15? I just bought a chrome oil filter for my bike from Lake Shore HD in Libertyville. I think it was only $8 or something like that. I remember being surprised at how cheap it was. I figured, being from HD, it'd be at least $30.

Old 10-07-2008, 11:17 PM
BadPiggy
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Wonder if we could get Terry to make a sticky on the different manufacturers part numbers for oil filters that fit our bikes in the Engine section?

Someone, or a few...would have to contribute the part numbers, though.
Myself, I haven't a clue beyond K&N 171B & C

Old 10-07-2008, 11:46 PM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member
Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

I buy my K&N chrome filters online in a 4 pack for 13 each. $52 to my door. I also buy my Redline oil online.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/K-N-C...99#ht_1767wt_0

What could be easier. A few clicks of my mouse and everything appears on my doorstep in a few days. Life in the computer age is good.

PS- I use the K&N because I trust that they are a superior filter and also because they have a nut on the end for ease of use.
Steve

Old 10-08-2008, 03:02 AM
Big Peter
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default oil filter

Why do you want another filter, nothing wrong with
the HD filter (10 micron)
I went with the black HD filter because it looks
better on a black engine.
The black filter is cheaper too.

Quick Reply: Oil Filter ?