Notices
Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Low Down on HD Batteries

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 07:23 PM
FastHarley
Former Sponsor
Received 447 Likes on 251 Posts
Post If you do not wish to be on the side of the road

Windup08 I do have a suggestion for you if you wish to spend the time to read and do if it is for you. Please read this thread as I tried to get members to read and decide on the following action to prohibit such problems you have experiences. You may also get a voltage monitor if this bothers you on going into wilderness. It has a small surface mount LED bulb with 5 different lighting for different voltages which would tell you when your stator failed or if it is in the process of failing. They cost $27. + Shipping. Kind of like an Idiot light with 5 different lights. You can use in conjunction with a volt meter but is a warning light that will flash. Do what you like (as you can read in the post when a few members wish to argue or bitch). It is not a matter if it will happen but when.

Last edited by FastHarley; 10-06-2008 at 07:26 PM.
Old 10-06-2008, 07:34 PM
Xcrossbow
Stellar HDF Member
Received 278 Likes on 176 Posts

Replaced the original battery on my 02 RK in April of this year after 6 years and 8 months only because I thought it was about time. Replaced it with a H-D battery.

Had a Turbo Coupe T-Bird a few years back when the DieHard was all the rave. Bought the recommended DieHard and it wouldn't even turn the car over. Went to Ford and bought the recommended battery and it lasted for years.

All batteries are not created equal.

Old 10-06-2008, 07:35 PM
Dionicio
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Windup08
There is a difference in batteries...I'm not sure who makes HD batteries, but they are better than any Wal-Mart, or other discount store battery. I believe someone here mentioned an online source for the same size battery from the same manufacturer, but with a different brand name.

I don't push battery life anymore. A little over a year ago, when I was riding my 02 Dyna (5 year old battery) the wife and I went out for a ride, got about 25 miles out of town and it just died....couldn't push start the bike or anything. Called a good friend who said he would come out with a trailer to pick us up. The Bike was sitting on the edge of the highway (not much of a shoulder), so the wife and I were in the ditch a little distance away (didn't want to stand next to the bike in case a camper coming down the highway hit it). Anyway a freak gust of wind came up and blew the bike over on the right side and it slid a couple feet down into the ditch. A guy in a car stopped and helped me pick it up....the right mirror and hand grip were broken, quick connect windshield was scratched up and the right saddlebag was all scuffed up.

Got the bike into the shop and found that the stator was gone....don't know if the battery caused the stator to go, or if it was the other way around, but it ended up that my $99 new (HD) battery cost me nearly $1500 by the time the bike was ready to ride.

I know a lot of guys who replace their battery every 3 years whether they are showing signs of going out or not....I may start doing that myself, not just because of that bad experience, but after talking to HD mechanics and other owners a weak battery can cause other problems that can make the money saved by running a battery a year or 2 longer a drop in the bucket compared to the things that can happen when the battery goes out. More often than not when a bike battery goes it gone completely, won't hold a charge, so it can't be jumped.
+1, If your battery is weak, the charging system has to work harder to keep the battery charged, resulting in more and tear on the charging system.

Old 10-06-2008, 08:01 PM
SteveO
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Sounds like a lot of folks can't afford to ride a Harley.

Old 10-06-2008, 08:23 PM
Lucky 13
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I change the battery between 2 and 3 years. No way would I use a battery 4 years or more.

Old 10-06-2008, 11:19 PM
goodbirds
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
Lightbulb

Whew! Quite a primer on batteries. I ride pretty much year around so I do use the battery as you point out. I also have a Battery Tender (brand) equipped with an SAE plug that is left wired to the battery, for those periods of time when the weather is just too inclement. At four and a half years, the battery in my 02 Ultra began to get weak. The Battery Tender kept it hot enough to get through the next day and until I could get a new one installed.

Old 10-07-2008, 12:34 AM
RBJones
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I just replaced my battery in my 05 Road King. It was the original, installed in Nov. of 04. I run my bike year-round so it never needs a tender. I noticed recently that when I hit the starter the engine would hesitate for about 1 sec before turning over, usually when cold. I watched the headlight and noticed it going dim when I cranked up. That was all I needed to tell me the battery was getting down and all it would take was a cold morning or rainstorm when it wouldn't have the umph to turn over the motor and I'd be stuck somewhere cussing myself for not acting on an obvious problem waiting to happen. So I bought a new battery.

Yes, it's an HD and cost $150. The dealer is just up the road and I didn't feel like running around town trying to find another. Besides the original lasted almost four years and 57,000 miles. I didn't know Interstate made HD batteries or I would have checked, as there's a store halfway between me and the HD dealer. I'll worry about it again in about four years.

Old 10-07-2008, 12:40 AM
RBJones
Tourer
Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

I just checked on the Web site and the Interstate battery costs about as much as an HD one. I guess maybe you can get a discount in some places. In case you haven't bought a battery in a while, prices have skyrocketed over the past few months. I didn't know lead was scarce, too.

Old 10-07-2008, 08:09 AM
Xcrossbow
Stellar HDF Member
Received 278 Likes on 176 Posts

Even though it gets cold here in Maryland I try and ride year round or at least never longer than 2 weeks between rides. I've never used a tender or never "had" to replace a battery but do after 5-7 years to avoid a problem.

I read somewhere years ago that never try and start a bone cold battery and for longer motorcycle battery life turn the ignition on (headlight comes on) and wait 30-45 seconds before cranking. This may be an urban legend but it has worked for me since I started buying motorcycles again back in 1991.

Old 10-07-2008, 08:42 AM
Windup08
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by FastHarley
Windup08 I do have a suggestion for you if you wish to spend the time to read and do if it is for you. Please read this thread as I tried to get members to read and decide on the following action to prohibit such problems you have experiences. You may also get a voltage monitor if this bothers you on going into wilderness. It has a small surface mount LED bulb with 5 different lighting for different voltages which would tell you when your stator failed or if it is in the process of failing. They cost $27. + Shipping. Kind of like an Idiot light with 5 different lights. You can use in conjunction with a volt meter but is a warning light that will flash. Do what you like (as you can read in the post when a few members wish to argue or bitch). It is not a matter if it will happen but when.
FASTHARLEY, thanks for info and link to the other thread regarding stopping to help. I stop, or at least use hand signals to find out if someone on the side of the road needs help. I'll be looking at putting a headlight switch in over the winter months.....may even consider the light.

Quick Reply: Low Down on HD Batteries