Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Northern dealers cheaper during winter?

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008 | 08:38 AM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member

Dealers who want used bikes should offer customers more than wholesale trade allowance.

Last edited by Geoff; 10-07-2008 at 08:45 AM.
Old 10-07-2008 | 02:08 PM
BigdadeeR
Cruiser

Supply and demand will always determine prices which is why HD is slowing production. I think it's great that they are not willing to ***** out their product. As far as getting a deal goes all the normal rules apply, go the last day or two of the month, know what the competing dealers are willing to do, figure out if a salesperson is 1-2 bikes away from the next bonus level, know what accessories you want and what you're willing to pay for everything including labor. I'm sure there's more, be educated and prepared and let them know you are. It helps if you're not looking for the hottest model also. On an 09 I wouldn't expect a huge discount because they most likely don't have to.

If you find an area where the economy is really depressed like in some places in Alabama a friend who was traveling through said they were really dealing. May be worth you checking out. Although there is something to be said for building a relationship with a dealer close to you. Just my .02.

Either way enjoy what you get and ride long and often.

Old 10-07-2008 | 02:19 PM
cfoster80
Tourer

Originally Posted by vindyl
SAME here in pa they never lower the price. Thunk about it it is H-D they charge $50.00 for bolts for cryin out loud

This is not true i live in the DC area and around here they do charge MSRP and above. I shopped around VA, PA, DE, and MD. A buddy informed me that he bought a 06 SG from ECHD (Electric City Harley) Scranton, PA these guys were great i paid $650 less then MSRP (08 SG in march) with no shipping or set up fees. Then i told a different friend of them he mentioned my name and that he wanted to buy a bike they had on the floor he paid under MSRP for a white one ($450 option).

Old 10-07-2008 | 03:37 PM
acedantinne
Tourer
Question

Originally Posted by lviguy
HD dealers are not like car dealers. HD does not charge them for the bike till it is sold, there is no floor plan financing like car dealers have. They can afford to wait for a sale since there is no cost for them to do so.
Very interesting.

Old 10-07-2008 | 04:05 PM
johnu
Cruiser

Originally Posted by lviguy
HD dealers are not like car dealers. HD does not charge them for the bike till it is sold, there is no floor plan financing like car dealers have. They can afford to wait for a sale since there is no cost for them to do so.
I'm not sure about that?
A year or two ago HD was counting bikes sold when they left the factory instead of when sold at retail.
JU

Old 10-07-2008 | 04:24 PM
Dewky
Cruiser

I'm not 100% sure if this is correct but I was told that each dealer gets an allotment of bikes,so many softails,so many dyna,sportsters etc and the number they get is dependent on the numbers they can sell.
A small dealership may have no problem unloading parts of its allotment,then they end up trading amongst themselves if they need something they dont have,either that or wait until their next allotment.
If their numbers drop,then so does the amount allotted to them.

You may have more luck with small dealerships than larger ones as a couple of sales here and there has much more effect on them.

Dale

Old 10-07-2008 | 10:48 PM
RBurn
Intermediate
From: Northern Calif.. No not SF... I mean Northern Calif!!!

I talked to the sales manager in my town and he said they pay for each and every harley on their floor, HD does not float my dealer, i suspect it's similar to most dealers.

He told me sept was dead, they have actually not sold 1 harley in the last 3 weeks... not good. The problem is that Harley has cut stock so the bikes they do have they have to make money on what they are getting in.

I do not know what their profit margin is. Anyone know that? He did tell me it's more cost effective to get "stuff" as $300 in stuff will get you $500 in stuff. They are giving $250 in stuff for free up front.

I'm looking at a 09 fatboy. it's 19.6 OTD.. I'm in Calif for it's 7.25% tax included. Basically numbers straight from MSRP plus freight, settup tax and calif emissions.
This model has chrome wheels option and security.

I can get some more discount off I think if i'm there to take it home, which i'm not quite there now as i like to see that money in my savings based what's going on in the USA right now. I realize that it's a bargin to buy most anything else but Harley, but i think that will change if it goes on like this much longer. The manager told me he was hoping if it continues that HD might come out with some incentive like they did on the 08's.

Enjoy!

Old 10-07-2008 | 11:55 PM
Javawave
Tourer

3rd year in a row I have bought a bike in late sept. I have gotten a sizeable discount on each one of them. Including my 08 Ultra. by sizeable I mean more than $3000 off MSRP. The deals are out there if you look. You just have to take your time and be able to jump on a moments notice if a dealer offers you a buy this moment price.