Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Northern dealers cheaper during winter?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008 | 07:20 PM
Bradley Jones
Outstanding HDF Member

I'm in MA and I never see the prices drop on bikes during the winter. They may go down in price since its winter and less bikes are sold but they don't drop the sticker price on the floor models sitting there.

Old 10-06-2008 | 07:35 PM
wbogley
Outstanding HDF Member

What we are seeing now is the impact of the production cut. Because the cut was larger then the dealer sales have declined, there is no pressure on dealers to move units yet. I would expect hd to cut production more next year to stay ahead of the declines. Mayby 275,000 next year, Hd is set to product 307,000 this year. My local dealer has new bikes, but they are starved for cheaper used bikes which are REALLY selling well. He has one used bike, a Softail with 60,000 miles.

Old 10-06-2008 | 07:42 PM
yoseppi
Tourer

They were selling 08 Fatboys for $15k in northern Ohio last month. Right after the 09's came out, so I think it was to clear 08 inventory to make way for the 09's.
The Fatboys were selling for much more in the summer.

Old 10-06-2008 | 07:42 PM
johnu
Cruiser

Originally Posted by wbogley
there is no pressure on dealers to move units yet.
Maybe not from HD, but a dealership's owner will "broom" (fire) the sales staff if they do not SELL!
JU

Old 10-07-2008 | 01:15 AM
RBurn
Intermediate
From: Northern Calif.. No not SF... I mean Northern Calif!!!

no pressure, what are you talking about? Can you pay the light bill and building loan by having bikes sit on the floor? comon - wakeup. The point is they had a good july and aug because of fuel prices going up and it let them sell sportsters mostly. well they are going to get hungry soon enough, look around you and see what's up.

Wait until the next 6 months and you'll start seeing alot of pain around you.

Old 10-07-2008 | 03:13 AM
Aslan
Road Master

No deep discounts up here in New Hampshire. They will give additional discounts on parts and clothes.
I agree with what a couple of people have said. The dealers do not have very many used bikes. They are either selling off the used stuff real fast or they are selling them wholesale to used bike dealers.
I don't know if Harley Dealers really want too many used bikes in house.

Old 10-07-2008 | 05:58 AM
Ultrasweet
|
Road Captain

I talked to the GM at my local dealer right after the July meetings. She said everybody across the country was having trouble getting used bikes. So I guess the consensus is that there are no low ball deals up north in the winter. I knew my buddy was full of crap. T.

Old 10-07-2008 | 07:16 AM
Ultra Will
Advanced

In nw Ohio dealers are trying to sell 08's for as much as $1000 off msrp. One dealer said in January he will be selling 09's for straight msrp and eliminate freight and setup. Two other dealers already do that now.

Old 10-07-2008 | 08:03 AM
piasspj
Seasoned HDF Member

New bikes, forget it.
Deals to be found are:
Reduced service rate during winter.
Sales on riding gear (also I usually find a better selection during winter).

Used bikes, Private sellers may be willing to deal to avoid winter storage. Of course if they already have arranged and paid for storage this incentive is gone.
You may find a "deal" if the dealer is selling a bike on consignment. They may also be more willing to deal on a used bike that they have had for a while.
Remember there will be many days where test rides are not possible.

Old 10-07-2008 | 08:07 AM
47Norton
Road Captain

The prices do drop, but only on Honda's.

Quick Reply: Northern dealers cheaper during winter?