Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 Street Glide Starter re-call?

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2008, 04:20 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,241 Likes on 1,851 Posts

Originally Posted by Bertk
Thanks, Dawg. Is it a good idea then to check the toque for the starter bolts and torquing to 25-27 ft-lbs. Just to make sure, are these the bolts?

I would check them. On mine I added star washers as there weren't even lock washers on mine and I was having issues of the bike not starting and this seemed to correct it thus far.

Old 10-06-2008, 04:38 PM
titusvilleharley
Banned For Ripping Off HDF Members
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i have an 08 s.g with 18k miles so i went into the garage and walk up to her and layed down on the floor on the left side of the bike i cant really see anything so i go to the right side i lay on the floor and look quess what i see right under the starter area a oil drop ready to fall. if you look under there just under the starter the drip is right next to a small metal brace crossing the bike. im calling my dealer tomorrow i still have a warrenty left.

Old 10-06-2008, 05:59 PM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,241 Likes on 1,851 Posts

Originally Posted by nasafatboy08
i have an 08 s.g with 18k miles so i went into the garage and walk up to her and layed down on the floor on the left side of the bike i cant really see anything so i go to the right side i lay on the floor and look quess what i see right under the starter area a oil drop ready to fall. if you look under there just under the starter the drip is right next to a small metal brace crossing the bike. im calling my dealer tomorrow i still have a warrenty left.
There is a seal that goes between the starter and the inner primary. If this is faulty then your starter could be getting filled with primary oil. I've seen one starter before have issues because it was filling up with oil. Do let your dealer know before you have a problem.

Old 10-06-2008, 06:35 PM
ramnj
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Is this only affecting the 08 SG? Guess I should take a look at my RK to make sure.

Old 10-06-2008, 06:39 PM
StreetGlider56
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by dreamcatcher2007
My starter went out on my '08 Street Glide. My dealer is telling me it was due to a bad bearing. The MoCo is reporting that there is a backorder and new starters for this model wont be available until the 12th of October. My SG is stock with 18.5k on it.
Anybody else having a problem?
I am also wondering how the MoCo intends to compensate me for a brand new bike, (purchased new in May of this year), being down for three weeks? I am going to give the customer service a call today and will report back.
My StreetGlide is an 07 and has 11200 and my starter is acting up...

Old 10-06-2008, 07:10 PM
SMSgt B
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the thread. Maybe this is the problem I have been experiencing (it cranks several times before starting). This still happens after I charged the battery. I will have them check it out tomorrow when I bring it in for the 1K service.

Thanks

Old 10-06-2008, 07:33 PM
nanaimohd
Advanced

My 2008 SG has 8000 miles on it and sometimes doesn't always turn over when hot. I have checked all the connections and battery ,all tight and clean. Only does it when hot and its done it since new.Its going in to the dealer next week .

Old 10-06-2008, 08:36 PM
Bertk
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 203 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by dawg
I would check them. On mine I added star washers as there weren't even lock washers on mine and I was having issues of the bike not starting and this seemed to correct it thus far.
I just checked them and they were tight, and made a snapping noise (much like when braking them loose) when torquing further to 25-27 ft. lbs. Before re-torquing I don't think they had any chance of coming loose.

Old 10-06-2008, 08:54 PM
titusvilleharley
Banned For Ripping Off HDF Members

i just noticed this today after i was on the forum and came across this post and it made me go have a look at her. when the bike is on the jiffy stand you have more room on the right side of the bike when you look across to the other side i seen a oil drop ready to fall just breaks my heart. when i take the bike to the dealer i wounder if they are going to say this is the first we heard of this problem or yes we are aware of this and your warrenty will cover it. i will be going tomorrow and i will post what they tell me i will be nice but they are going to fix there f*^% up.

Old 10-06-2008, 09:02 PM
tallboy56
Road Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't see how this could be just SG's. Don't all the touring bikes use the same starter?

Quick Reply: 2008 Street Glide Starter re-call?