Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

road glide vs ultra classic???need advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2008 | 10:16 PM
emwolb
|
Ultimate HDF Member
Default road glide vs ultra classic???need advice

i am gonna trade in my 08 sg tuesday and i like the added ameneties of the ultra, but the shark nose fairing is supposed to be wind tunnel tested and provide a nice pocket of still air. never thought i'd want a "geezer glide" but i'll be 57 soon, and it's about time. sure do dig my sg though. but there are some improvements with the 09 that i like. any advice is greatly appreciated, and i thank you in advance for helpin me decide.

Old 10-04-2008 | 10:35 PM
mhud
Road Captain
Default Ultra RG

Both are great bikes ... you should rent each for a day if that's possible. Having said that, I love my RG, spent a couple of grand to add lowers and a detachable tour pack so I now have the benefits of an Ultra minus the CB and intercom which were not important to me. It can be stripped down in a few minutes or a sportier ride.

Last edited by mhud; 12-12-2008 at 04:13 PM.
Old 10-04-2008 | 10:58 PM
mattman22033
Road Warrior

You will get lots opinions on this. My first touring bike was an Ultra but I always wanted a Road Glide. Once I got my RG I decided that I will never go back to a batwing.

Old 10-04-2008 | 11:06 PM
Bluesssman
Elite HDF Member

I agree with the idea of renting the ones you want. With that said, I love my Road Glide. It is windy here often and the frame mounted fairing is really nice to have. It is easy to add lowers and a tour pack if you want those additions. Let us know what you decide!

Old 10-04-2008 | 11:07 PM
zoozoo
Seasoned HDF Member

Mattman, which one gives you the best protection from the wind?

Old 10-04-2008 | 11:23 PM
mattman22033
Road Warrior

RG will give better wind protection if you have the lowers.

I have lowers and bigger windshield(Clearview) so I have lots of wind protection. The lowers are almost touching the fairing which is nice because now my knees don't get wet like they did on my Ultra, if you ride through a brief rain shower.

Old 10-04-2008 | 11:46 PM
ghostflamed
Road Captain

Road Glide all the way. Like others are saying...one ride on both is usually all it takes to convince someone.

Old 10-05-2008 | 12:07 AM
sifularson
Elite HDF Member

I just wish HD would wake up and make an Ultra Road Glide. I've spent a lot of money and time adding all the bells and whistles that come stock on an Ultra.

Old 10-05-2008 | 01:48 AM
Jesse_the_kid
Advanced

My vote goes for the RG! I have rode alot of Batwing bikes, and like them. I have never rode a RG, but I still like to looks of the RG better. It's different around my home town. In that not alot of people like the RG looks. I have heard from a number of people that the RG is the best riding bike that HD makes. I bought a Road King because I couldn't pass up on the deal, but I will own a RG in the near future. Road Gilde all the way. My .02 cents.

Old 10-05-2008 | 02:11 AM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by mhud
Both are great bikes ... you should rent each for a day if that's possible. Having said that, I love my RG, spent a couple of grand to add lowers and a detachable tour pack so I now have the benefits of an Ultra minus the CB and intercom which were not important to me. It can be stripped down in a few minutes or a sportier ride.
This answers all your questions perfectly. The only thing I would change is that I would suggest renting each model for three days each. Bring along a pad and paper, and make a list of the likes & dislikes of each bike....then make a choice.

Originally Posted by sifularson
I just wish HD would wake up and make an Ultra Road Glide. I've spent a lot of money and time adding all the bells and whistles that come stock on an Ultra.
You said a mouthful, but why would the MoCo shoot themselves in the foot, and miss out on all that extra money they make off everyone who HAS to make their own *Road Glide Ultra*. What would be very cool is to replace the current CVO Road Glide with a CVO Ultra Road Glide!

Quick Reply: road glide vs ultra classic???need advice