Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

road glide vs ultra classic???need advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2008 | 02:29 PM
Rottiman
Road Captain
From: Ontario, Canada home of the TAX YOU TO DEATH LIBERALS

I too decided to go to the GEEZER Glide after pounding around on my EVO Softail for 20 plus years. Rode both the ultra and RG a fair amount and decided that the RG is the way to go for me. I am 6'2" and 290 lbs and when I rode the Ultra I felt that the batwing was too close to my face, and I felt cramped on the bike. The RG is legandary for the great handling on the open road and I am able to sit back enough to feel really comfortable. It is all personal choice but the RG will always have my vote.

Old 10-07-2008 | 03:08 PM
bullseye
Road Captain

I traded my Ultra for a 07 RG and once I got the right windshield on it there is no way I'd go back. There are many differences but the most noticeable ones are the lack of weight on the handle bars, the fairing is further away giving you a more “open” feeling and better handling. Besides when you’re on a windy highway with a lot of truck traffic the bike gets blown around very little.

Old 10-07-2008 | 05:42 PM
DRAFT1
Tourer

Originally Posted by sifularson
I just wish HD would wake up and make an Ultra Road Glide. I've spent a lot of money and time adding all the bells and whistles that come stock on an Ultra.
Same here. I am however in the middle of this conversion. I have my ultra tour pak and have ordered all of the cb/intercom pieces. I intend on posting part numbers and prices for what the total bill comes to. I would not be doing this but I had shopped for a good deal on a low milage 2007 RG and found one. I will still come in under the price of the same year low milage Ultra.

Old 10-08-2008 | 12:49 PM
msocko3
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by bullseye
I traded my Ultra for a 07 RG and once I got the right windshield on it there is no way I'd go back. There are many differences but the most noticeable ones are the lack of weight on the handle bars, the fairing is further away giving you a more “open” feeling and better handling. Besides when you’re on a windy highway with a lot of truck traffic the bike gets blown around very little.
I've read a lot about guys saying the RG doesn't get blown around like the Batwing bike. I just don't know if there is any real difference. This past July I went out to SD and had no problems running 80 - 85 mph and sometimes 100 when passing a truck I didn't trust. Most of the time on the freeway I had the cruise on and one hand lightly resting on the bars, the winds and truck traffic were no problems.

Old 05-25-2009 | 05:25 PM
emwolb
|
Ultimate HDF Member

man those new vivid black road glides do look sinister. decided to stay with my streetglide though. i hear they're gonna be coming out with what's called a tour glide, basically an ultra version of the roadglide. best of both worlds actually. just a rumor but hope it's true, would hate to lose the option of having a roadglide to trade in for and they no longer exist. thanks guys, great information. very helpful indeed.