Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

road glide vs ultra classic???need advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008 | 02:47 PM
Aslan
Road Master

Like Trek said:

"Cops are choosing the batwing. . bike club riders are choosing the RG. "

Road Glides seem to be finding a lot of favor with "Patch Holders". I don't know why but I see a lot more Road Glides in their ranks these days then I used to.

Old 10-05-2008 | 03:03 PM
kc10boom
Advanced

Eh, I'm only 39 but have always like the geezer gliders, whether it be my first tour bike which was a Goldwing to my current bike of an 09 Ultra Classic. I just like the Caddy options it comes with, and all the stock equipment is pretty sweet on a very long trip.

Whatever floats your boat though.

Old 10-05-2008 | 07:00 PM
mattman22033
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Aslan
Like Trek said:

"Cops are choosing the batwing. . bike club riders are choosing the RG. "

Road Glides seem to be finding a lot of favor with "Patch Holders". I don't know why but I see a lot more Road Glides in their ranks these days then I used to.
Cops don't have a choice. I think the only bikes that HD make into police bikes are EG standards and RKs. The driving lights become the front police flashers and that is probably more cost effective than adding flashers to the RG. But it would be cool to see what a concept police RG.

Old 10-05-2008 | 10:16 PM
GT_RoadGlide
Road Master

I'm on my second RG. I added lowers and tour pak. The tour pak is detachable but I have never had it off and now doubt that I ever will. I also added CB and intercom.

Old 10-05-2008 | 10:45 PM
emwolb
|
Ultimate HDF Member

wow, you guys have really been helpful. serious. and it's gonna cost me three grand to upgrade to the 09 ultra from my 08 streetglide which is paid for, and get this, i get to take off all the accessories i put on the sg, and all of what i bought for the sg will go right onto the new one. heck, i'm thinkin that soon i'm gonna need the ten thousand mile service on my 08 sg, and then a rear tire in a few thousand miles, and all the rave reviews i've been reading on the 09 frame changes, damm, now all i gotta figure out is what color. thanks guys, i though it was gonna be everyones consensus that the ultra was the way to go, but am gonna mull the rg thought over in my head now. i do dig the way they look, very sleek, but which one, batwing vs sharknose, has better wind protection, i mean, still air behind the fairing? i'm new here, and this is my seventh harley, and fifty other various bikes, but harleys, are cool. like one of my buddies said, yamahas, suzukis, etc, make a great bike, but when you get somewhere on a harley at least you got someone who will visit with ya. you guys got some sweet lookin rides. can get the ultra for the three k difference, in choice of color, but i do dig the rg's. and can get one for even less , naturally than the ultra.

Last edited by emwolb; 10-05-2008 at 10:49 PM. Reason: to correct some words, meanings.
Old 10-06-2008 | 02:14 AM
mrjharley
Cruiser

Here is my .03 cents worth. After driving several different models (RK, Ultra, Heritage) I have found that the RG is just comfortable to ride for distance and the wind doesn't affect you nearly as much as the bat wings. I do a lot of riding with the wife on the back and she has nothing but positives to say about the RG. Upgrading the windshield does help and I am waiting on this for next year. Other than that, mine is pretty much stock (except for the detach tour pack and bag protectors). I am hooked and will never go back.

Old 10-06-2008 | 06:39 PM
JacktheBagger
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

FWIW there is a cop version RG ..

You can figure on adding another seat , and bars most likely as well

Old 10-06-2008 | 06:49 PM
heavymetalthunder
Grand HDF Member

Ride them both yourself on a windy day on the highway at 70+ and decide for yourself. If you wear a helmet it may affect the outcome some. I got alot of buffeting with my 3/4 with faceshield, not as much with a FF helmet. Its a trade off, more wind and better handling with less front end weight or better wind protection, more traditional looks. Your money, your choice. Both great bikes. A ton of smiles per mile.

Old 10-06-2008 | 06:57 PM
shy1
Cruiser

I had the same dilema when looking for a new bagger. I've been told the RG is more stable at speed and in wind. I've had a batwing before and have not found the wind objectionable. Both are great bikes. Depends on the look and features you want. I liked the Ultra because of the extra lights on the fenders, passing lamps, adjustable fairing wind deflectors, lowers, etc.

Old 10-06-2008 | 07:03 PM
nedster
Road Master

I cant get pass the bumpers and lights on the fenders and the pinstriping on the classics and Ultras. I have had two rode glides and love them. Although I did see a SE Ultra Classic today..........sweeet. But they have the clean fenders!

Quick Reply: road glide vs ultra classic???need advice