Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

road glide vs ultra classic???need advice

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-2008 | 04:55 AM
Pastor John
Outstanding HDF Member

Both are great bikes. I have not owned an Ultra (yet!), but really enjoy my Road Glide. The frame mounted fairing gives great protection and is very comfortable for the long haul. Once you get your windshield, handlebar, and seat preferences dialed in it's a terrific touring bike.

As sifularson said, it doesn't have all the touring accessories that the Ultra has, but these can be added without any problems, and I suspect the overall cost of the "Road Ultra" is about the same as the Ultra Classic.

Old 10-05-2008 | 06:20 AM
Aslan
Road Master

I don't want to spend another guys money but for me the Road Glide is the best all around bike Harley builds.
You can strip it down or dress it up in a few minutes as your mood or needs change.

Old 10-05-2008 | 06:28 AM
JacktheBagger
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

This is my third sharkie , so I am biased , I often wondered WHY they quit making the Ultra Tour Glide , then they stopped making it all together , then when they brought it back they left the Tour Pak off ..

Old 10-05-2008 | 07:50 AM
bluffalobob
Road Warrior

Well, you walk into a barber shop, and they're going to tell you that you need an haircut.

Me, I ride an Ultra, so I'm going to tell you it's the best. If you don't want the CB, the lowers, the tourpak or the intercom, then the RG is fine. If you plan to add all that stuff, it gets expensive. Make sure you ride it first, some have complained about wind buffetting, but most think it can be overcome with the right windshield. The RG sits you a little further back from the guages, so make sure you're comfortable with that as well.

I tried the RG, and it rode well, but I wanted all the extras. Besides, I just couldn't get over the sharknose.

Old 10-05-2008 | 08:29 AM
09RoadGlide
Cruiser

I traded a paid for 03 ultra in on my new RG and no regrets here, added the lowers and a tour pak is next.

Having said that, if I were you with a nice 08 SG, id probably just add the ultra parts to it and save some money. Unless you get a great deal on trade in value.

But if your determined to get a new bike, go for the RG I dont think you will be disappointed.

Old 10-05-2008 | 09:10 AM
Bulldawg
Advanced

Originally Posted by sifularson
I just wish HD would wake up and make an Ultra Road Glide. I've spent a lot of money and time adding all the bells and whistles that come stock on an Ultra.
Agreed.

Old 10-05-2008 | 11:58 AM
Trek
Tourer

I also ride an ultra, this is my third one. I tour a lot with my wife and we wanted all the whistles and bells that come on the ultras. I considered the RG but by the time I added the "ultra" stuff, it ended up being a bit more money.

I don't think you can beat a frame mounted fairing though for dealing with heavy wind and I noticed that when I sit on a RG that I seem to feel a bit more room. Made me feel almost cramped on my ultra after getting off the RG. Don't know why other than perhaps the handlebars are a bit more upright than on my ultra.

I have a dealer/sales friend that is considering trading his screaming eagle ultra in. He is really struggling with this same choice. Cops are choosing the batwing. . bike club riders are choosing the RG. Some argue the headlight turns with you, but you don't turn the forks much when turning so that would only be for very slow speeds or at a stop.

Finally, some have suggested that the RG are a bit more difficult to trade or sell. I have no idea if that is true or not but would be worth looking into.

I also advocate renting a bike for multiple days, they will let the rental go toward a bike so you are not out anything (at least that is what I've been led to understand) and buy the one you want. The trick is buy the right tool for the job you are going to do. We don't have a lot of strong wind here, but if I was riding across the Dakota's or Wy. etc. I think I would do the ultra upgrade to a SG.

Good luck!

Old 10-05-2008 | 12:19 PM
nocarb
Road Master

Originally Posted by sifularson
I just wish HD would wake up and make an Ultra Road Glide. I've spent a lot of money and time adding all the bells and whistles that come stock on an Ultra.

They use to, not sure why they changed. I loved my 96 T.

Old 10-05-2008 | 01:34 PM
JacktheBagger
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

You may lose on the RG on a trade , it has never been made in big numbers compared to the batwings .. Mine aint fer trading , so me personally , I could care less about it ..

I discovered it in '84 and it's the only bagger I have owned since then ..

Old 10-05-2008 | 02:05 PM
mattman22033
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by BaggerDriver
You may lose on the RG on a trade , it has never been made in big numbers compared to the batwings .. Mine aint fer trading , so me personally , I could care less about it ..
I don't think you lose on RG if you traded it in...at least not any more. There seems to be a lot more RGs being bought then there were even in 06. Granted there are less of these made but I but the market for them is solid and growing.

Quick Reply: road glide vs ultra classic???need advice