Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Detachables on an Electra Glide??

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2006, 12:45 PM
Swamp Fox
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Detachables on an Electra Glide??

I was at the dealer this past weekend looking at the EG Classic. If I was to buy one, I would be interested in having the king tour pack on detachable mounts. The sales guy said it was possible, and that it would cost about $300. However, I can’t seem to find the hardware listing in the catalog, or on the HD website. Does anyone have this set-up on their bike, or is this guy giving me bad info?

Old 03-30-2006, 01:20 PM
Loch
Tourer
Default RE: Detachables on an Electra Glide??

You will need Harley parts 53276-04 and 53804-06 to make the tour pak detachable.

ORIGINAL: Swamp Fox

I was at the dealer this past weekend looking at the EG Classic. If I was to buy one, I would be interested in having the king tour pack on detachable mounts. The sales guy said it was possible, and that it would cost about $300. However, I can’t seem to find the hardware listing in the catalog, or on the HD website. Does anyone have this set-up on their bike, or is this guy giving me bad info?

Old 03-30-2006, 01:38 PM
Swamp Fox
Road Captain

Thanks Loch!!

Old 03-30-2006, 01:41 PM
Loch
Tourer

No problem! I have an Ultra coming in a few weeks and I've already been down the road your on. You might look into getting a hidden antenna as well.

http://www.ecshylites.citymax.com/ca...191/721930.htm

Buy your Harley parts at Zanotti's and you can get those detachalbe parts for $160.83 plus a little shipping. The rack alone is about 27% off MSRP at Zanotti's.

https://www.zanottimotor.com/shopping/pLookUp.php

Old 03-31-2006, 11:58 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

Many of us have the detachable kits on EG Classics and Ultras. In addition to the docking hardware and the rack to put the tour pac on you will need some means of relocating you radio antenna.

I use a Dakota Digital powered antenna that goes under the fairing. Others use a Tunetrapper that is not powered, but also goes under the fairing, while others use a HD relocating kit and use the factory whip. I have tested all three, and my finding were that the whip will give the very best reception, but is is only slightly better than the Tunetrapper or the Dakota Digital. The Dakota Digital will give a little better AM reception than the Tunetrapper, and the Tunetrapper will give a little better FM reception than the Dakota Digital. The differences are really not that big. The Dakota Digital is about 80.00, the Tunetrapper is 35.00, and a HD relaocation kit for the whip is 99.00.

Was the price you were quoted for parts, or was that their labor? If it was labor, you can do it yourself if you have a few tools and a little bit of mechanical ability. There are plenty of people on the forum that can help if you get in a bind.

Regards,

Bill

Old 03-31-2006, 12:12 PM
Uncle Peepers
Road Warrior
Received 955 Likes on 442 Posts

In the past few years, I've done all kinds of mods to my EGC, and I consider the detachables among the best. Except when travelling, I always use a detachable luggage rack in place of the tour pack. The detachable passenger backrest is also important as without it the slope of the passenger seat tilts the person in the direction of falling off. The antenna is under the fairing.

Uncle Peepers

Old 03-31-2006, 12:44 PM
Swamp Fox
Road Captain

Thanks for all the great advice guys! The salesman didn’t specify if the price included labor billnourse, but I would probably do the wrenching myself other than the antenna relocation. I suck at electrical systems/wiring. I am getting ready to road test both a RK Standard and the EG Classic and decide from there.

Old 03-31-2006, 01:30 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 43 Likes on 36 Posts

The antenna relocation is a piece of cake. Unless you go with a Powered Antenna like the Dakota digital there is nothing electrical about it. Just unplug one antennna and plug the other one in at the back of the radio.

Regards,

Bill

Old 03-31-2006, 02:13 PM
Swamp Fox
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: billnourse

The antenna relocation is a piece of cake. Unless you go with a Powered Antenna like the Dakota digital there is nothing electrical about it. Just unplug one antennna and plug the other one in at the back of the radio.
Thanks for the tip Bill, I’ll do the work myself then. Even I could handle that much wiring work!

Old 03-31-2006, 03:13 PM
ABNELECTRAGLIDE
Cruiser

can someone sling me a part number on the ANT relocating kit, Thank you . My bike is sitting at the dealer and ive been wanting to do this for awhile so what the hell. Plus im not there to work on it anyway. Great advice on this thread thanks for the info

Quick Reply: Detachables on an Electra Glide??