Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pictures of my new 09 Road Glide pics. Engine/mod suggestions?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 10:52 PM
Hogtail
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pictures of my new 09 Road Glide pics. Engine/mod suggestions?

Had it about a week and am really enjoying it!

Got rid of the standard cowbell for something that looks better and is very LOUD! I also picked up the detachable luggage rack that can be detached alone since this has the 4 point docking kit. The sissy bar can be attached or detached by itself as well. The detachable luggage rack by itself gives the RG some nicer lines and helps to balance out the overpowering front end.

What handgrips and seat would you recommend (model and part numbers appreciated)? I know the Kuryakyn ISO grips are popular but I havent used them, any other recommendations? I know the stock grips start making my hands go numb after about 50 miles? I am about 6' 5" and the footboards are comfortable and seating distance, but I'm going to guess the stock seat isn't going to cut it for longer distances. The sundowner seat I had on my FXD was good for about 300 miles, but since this is a touring frame maybe the sundowner for the RG would be better for even longer distances.

Last is engine and/or exaust mods. The stock exaust is quiet. I was amazed when the service mgr. said, "just keep it stock for a couple of months and see how you like because the 96 has plenty of power and you will just be throwing away perfectly good parts and you may find it is ok stock."

There seems to be at least some agreement if your going to leave the engine stock there is no point in going with a 2 to 1 exaust as you really won't gain that much over just slip-ons such as V&H and a do it yourself fuel pack which would be somewhere around a $1k. But if I went with D&D Fatcats with a quiet baffle with the Race tuner and dyno time which would push me to around $2k which kind of seems nuts. Do you see a dramatic improvement with either of these exaust mods? One better than the other?

It just seems if your going to drop $2k then why not go for broke with a full HQ113 or 120 with a balanced Darkhorse crank for probably $6k? Then I could get a $1200 refund on my extended warranty since doing a full blown engine build would void my warranty.

Attached Thumbnails Pictures of my new 09 Road Glide pics. Engine/mod suggestions?-harley-ebay-002.jpg   Pictures of my new 09 Road Glide pics. Engine/mod suggestions?-harley-ebay-005.jpg   Pictures of my new 09 Road Glide pics. Engine/mod suggestions?-harley-ebay-004.jpg   Pictures of my new 09 Road Glide pics. Engine/mod suggestions?-harley-ebay-006.jpg  
Old 10-04-2008, 01:06 AM
Jukebox
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I Just put a deep bucket Sundowner on my 08' and the only thing I don't like about it is the fat nose makes my legs spread a little too much when I put my legs down to stop. I am going to lower the bike about 2" and that will make everything great.
I also just installed the V&H Basic slip-ons and I do notice a bit more perfomance. I don't have to shift gears as quick when getting on the highway. The Tach don't lie.

Old 10-04-2008, 02:17 AM
badinfluence63
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

congrats and all the best. At first the RG struck me as an ugly beast, an acquired taste. Everyone I know that has one swears by it. Likes the framed mounted faring(how is it going into sharp corners at nite?). I would like to own one before my 2 wheeled time is up...just for curiosity sake.

Old 10-04-2008, 02:41 AM
CGameProgrammer
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by badinfluence63
(how is it going into sharp corners at nite?)
Well unless you're going less than 10 mph, the front wheel will be facing mostly straight even in a sharp turn since you mainly just lean to turn, so the difference would be much more minor than you're thinking.

Old 10-04-2008, 05:33 AM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Lookin' good!!!!

Old 10-04-2008, 05:44 AM
Jrsess
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts

Very nice! Congrats!

Old 10-04-2008, 05:53 AM
badinfluence63
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CGameProgrammer
Well unless you're going less than 10 mph, the front wheel will be facing mostly straight even in a sharp turn since you mainly just lean to turn, so the difference would be much more minor than you're thinking.
Thanks for the FYI. Was always wondering about that particular thought with regards to the frame mounted fairing on the RG.