Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Vance & Hines Ovals

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 09:22 PM
Ca.Fatlad
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Vance & Hines Ovals

Anyone know if the regular oval slip-ons are available for 09 touring models.

Thanks

Attached Thumbnails Vance & Hines Ovals-johnsbike0051.jpg  
Old 10-03-2008, 09:45 PM
fettnersa
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I called V&H and they said they will not fit the 09. Funny I saw them on an 09 Ultra at the dealer. I think they say the pipe is just to close to the axel nut for them to OK it.

Old 10-03-2008, 09:47 PM
hoz88
Road Master

I talkes to a guy at the V&H booth out at Sturgis and they already had a set of Ovals on an 09 - he said all of their slip-ons bolted right up except for the Monsters. Maybe they found something wrong since then???

Old 10-03-2008, 10:03 PM
ghostflamed
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If one could get them on and also did the air cleaner upgrade for a true stage-one upgrade would the HD downloads available through the dealer handle reprogramming the EFI or would you have to go with a Dyno tune and a SERT or Power Commander?

Old 10-03-2008, 10:40 PM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

If they are like the Monster Ovals, the axle nut clearance (under full shock extension) is a problem. Thats why there is a specific 2009 version of the Monsters. Wish they would have figured that out before I bought mine (2008 version) and not after.

Old 10-03-2008, 10:50 PM
mattman22033
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ghostflamed
If one could get them on and also did the air cleaner upgrade for a true stage-one upgrade would the HD downloads available through the dealer handle reprogramming the EFI or would you have to go with a Dyno tune and a SERT or Power Commander?
HD downloads are a waste of $$$. So choose wisely.

Old 10-04-2008, 01:48 PM
ghostflamed
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I just bought the Monster Ovals for my '09 Road Glide and didn't change anything else (No AC for instance or remapping) how would the bike run? Anyone done this?

Old 10-04-2008, 02:49 PM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by ghostflamed
If I just bought the Monster Ovals for my '09 Road Glide and didn't change anything else (No AC for instance or remapping) how would the bike run? Anyone done this?

I think its generally considered that if you ONLY add slip-ons, the bike will run fine without a remap or retune. Its only when you increase the amount of air going IN the motor, that you NEED to remap. The EXIT side of the equation is less critical, although a better tune MAY get a small amount of extra power from the mufflers alone, you wont hurt anything by NOT doing it.

I know on my very first Harley, I had a guy loan me a set of slip-ons for a month to see if I wanted to buy them. I put them on and did nothing else (stock intake) and had no problems. My service manager said it was ok to do so also.

Those are just MY feelings, and from what I have read and been told, seem to be the general feeling on the matter.

Honestly though, if your gonna put the mufflers on anyway, I think the stage 1 intake and reflash is well worth the extra $300 or so in the power gained. BUT, now is when you come into the BS gray area (IMHO)

The dealer will most likely tell you:

1. Add mufflers ONLY.. no need to retune
2. Add Stage 1 Intake.. simple reflash is fine
3. Add SE mufflers and intake.. simple reflash is fine

But..

4. Add AFTERMARKET mufflers PLUS stage 1 intake..

OH GOD!! The sky is falling!!! Your motor will IMPLODE if you don't add a full blown fuel manager!! NOW your into it $500+. You need a $400 SERT and $300 in dyno tuning time! Good GOD!! Our simple reflash, which works FINE with OUR mufflers, will melt your motor if you do it with aftermarket mufflers.

Apparently, AFTERMARKET mufflers are so VASTLY different from SE mufflers, that It changes EVERYTHING. Even though most dealers will freely admit that if you install aftermarket mufflers ONLY (scenerio 1 above) they don't make a big enough difference to require ANY tuning changes.

I have ALWAYS felt that they are talking out of both sides of their mouth on this one. If Aftermarket mufflers ALONE don't make a big enough change to require ANY retune, they I call BS on them making such a huge change (that requires SERT+DYNO tune) when paired with the Stage 1 intake, that the same reflash that they will OK for THIER (screamin eagle) mufflers, cannot be used with aftermarket.

Honesty, I think its 99 percent a liability issue. They cant be 100 percent certain that their ecm flash will be rich enough for aftermarket pipes, so they scare you into the whole fuel manager scenerio. In a way, I cant blame them, but I still think its BS. I would LOVE to get a bike, do the stage 1 with STOCK mufflers, have it tested on the DYNO to check the A/F ratio, without doing any performance tuning, then take the the same bike for testing again after adding aftermarket mufflers. But I dont have the patience or the desire to stand their and be fed a line of BS to my face. So, I simply did the monster ovals, the stage 1 intake, and popped the money for the SERT and Dyno time.

And honestly, I DID get good results, I just cant help but think that I was bullied into spending about $700 I didn't really NEED to spend. But on the other side of the coin, better spend it than to screw up a motor.

Sorry, I got rambling again.

BTW, my dyno numbers are:

2009 SG, stock headpipes, heavy breather, SERT/dyno tune, Monster ovals:

HP: 78.6
TQ: 90.42

I think thats pretty respectable for a basically stock 96". Considering that my 07:

2007 SG, V&H true duals with ovals, 103" stage 2 (255 cams I belive) SERT/dyno tune:

HP: 78
TQ: 101 (0r 96 depending on which dyno sheet of mine you believe...there was some conflicting info here)

Last edited by flyingace; 10-04-2008 at 03:13 PM.
Old 10-04-2008, 08:11 PM
bpav16
Road Master
Received 84 Likes on 65 Posts

I have ovals on my 09 flhrc. Bought them used, than was told by v&h that they wont fit...well I took them off, put the stock (right) back on and the measurment is almost the same...I've got about 400 miles on them with some vigerious riding and no problem so far. I love the look of these pipes and will keep a close eye on for any hits of the axle nut on the pipe...

Old 10-04-2008, 08:32 PM
Ca.Fatlad
Road Master

Originally Posted by bpav16
I have ovals on my 09 flhrc. Bought them used, than was told by v&h that they wont fit...well I took them off, put the stock (right) back on and the measurment is almost the same...I've got about 400 miles on them with some vigerious riding and no problem so far. I love the look of these pipes and will keep a close eye on for any hits of the axle nut on the pipe...
Thanks for the info.I too really like the look of the regular ovals, hope they correct the problem,before I take delivery of my new 09/SG .

Attached Thumbnails Vance & Hines Ovals-johnsbike0051.jpg  

Quick Reply: Vance & Hines Ovals