Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pre-2009 with stabilizer vs. the new frame...

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 09:23 PM
Youngeezer
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, Jinks - that answers my question. No problems per se, but test rode an 09 Ultra and liked the firmer feel. If a bagger brace or the like has the same effect, essentially, I'm all for giving it a try. The other upgrades to the 09 would be great, to be sure, but the frame change was my biggie.

Now to go air dry my Wheaties...

Old 10-03-2008, 09:52 PM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Youngeezer
I know everyone here is sick to death of discussing stabilizers. I've looked through all the threads I can find, and done lot's o reading. Great information, and lots of helpful folks, but hadn't seen this particular question posed, though, so here goes:

Has anyone who owns a touring bike with (insert your favorite stabilizer here) installed also spent any significant time riding a 2009 of the same model for comparison? The reason I ask is that the main reason I'd trade up to a 2009 at this point is for the new frame and it's better handling. If my 2006 Ultra can get real close with a stabilizer, I'd rather keep it and save the $$$..

Thanks!

yes, and the 09 is better.

I DO have to qualify that, by saying the 07 (with true-track) only had 13k miles on the clock, and the 09 only has about 2k. In other words, not a lot of wear/slop on either one.

I also owned an 03 and 05, with 24k and 29k respectively, neither of which had a stabilizer. So I DO know what its like without one once the bike has some miles on it and the rear gets sloppy.

Last edited by flyingace; 10-03-2008 at 10:11 PM.
Old 10-03-2008, 09:55 PM
kpb46
Road Master

I would put one on me 07 ultra but I put a Rivco centerstand on which mounts to the bowtie crossmember

Old 10-03-2008, 10:26 PM
hdslam
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why purchase a new bike w/ so many problems. ie...fly by wire. Keep the 06 and get a brace. 04 FLTRI w/ a Ride-str8. Great improvement...

Old 10-03-2008, 10:32 PM
flyingace
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by hdslam
Why purchase a new bike w/ so many problems. ie...fly by wire. Keep the 06 and get a brace. 04 FLTRI w/ a Ride-str8. Great improvement...
Why keep a bike with so many problems...ie...needs a brace for the sloppy rear end?

Seriously, "so many problems"???

98 percent of the FBW "problems" I've read about, were self inflicted by the bikes owner, and could have been prevented, as well as cured, by the owner reading the owners manual.

Old 10-03-2008, 10:38 PM
FLoTR
Road Master
Default 09FLoaTeR

Jinks, Are saying the 09's sit higher than da 08's. I know I want to get a little closer to the ground.Must admit though dat it handles better than I ever dreamed my lowrider could.

Old 10-03-2008, 10:43 PM
ConnMan
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For what it's worth, my buddy just traded in his 06 Street Glide [with a stabilizer] on an 09 Street Glide. He said the difference is night and day, and didn't believe all the threads he read about it until he rode the new one. He was amazed there could be that much of a difference.

Old 10-03-2008, 10:53 PM
lowline
Cruiser

I put a Bagger Brace on my 94 Ultra and it made the bike feel great. Just did 3400 mile ride and my wife noticed the difference in the ride also. Try the brace.

Old 10-03-2008, 10:58 PM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by Bean Dip
I wouldn't mind trying a stabilizer. I came from the world of R-1's and GSXR's prior to my life as a bagger pilot. My SG (that I LOVE) sometimes feels floppier than a soggy pancake when I step up the pace while out riding. I'd love to "tighten it up" so to speak. I'd appreciate some advice as well..........................
Any of the current crop of stabilizers out there will do exactly that. I installed a TWR Missing Link on my 08' FLHX and it feels like a different bike now. Your adjective fits perfectly...."tighter" and no more of that "I think my rear tire is going flat" feeling.

Originally Posted by kpb46
I would put one on me 07 ultra but I put a Rivco centerstand on which mounts to the bowtie crossmember
There are several stabilizers out there that do not use the cross member at all and would have no impact on a center stand....either a existing one, or a center stand your planning on putting on. I know the TWR Missing-Link and the Ride Str8 both do not use the cross member at all.

Old 10-04-2008, 12:17 AM
bigskyhd
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 50 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by harleyrobert4
Sorry to hear you are tired of forum questions, maybe it's time you found a different forum. The people who ask the questions either enjoy the bike they have, don't want to spend the extra money on a new bike, or just plain can't afford a new bike right now. I'm sure everyone here is happy you have a new motorcycle, but please don't pee on someone else for trying to better the safety of their great motorcycle. Oh, by the way, my Bagger Brace works great.
Not exactly sure what it is you're smokin', but at least you could offer to share it with the rest of us.. Might not be so eager to nail someone to cross for asking a legit question. I'm surprised you didn't get flamed off the board. Hang in there with us, and just slow down on that speed readin' course you signed up for at the community college....

Quick Reply: Pre-2009 with stabilizer vs. the new frame...