Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

no premium fuel

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2008, 05:28 PM
reservecop
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default no premium fuel

In my town in South Carolina premium fuel can not be found anywhere. I have run premium in my 2005 FLRHI since it was new. How will regular gas effect my bike and should I even take the chance? Would it be alright to add some type of octane boost product to the regular gas? Just wondering , I would hate to mess up my machine.

Last edited by reservecop; 10-04-2008 at 08:19 PM.
Old 10-03-2008, 05:32 PM
Neggy ZRXOA 5248
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 821 Likes on 462 Posts

octane booster is cheaper than a crank and bearings IMHO

follow the recipe to the letter or the additives will precipitate out and leave deposits.

Old 10-03-2008, 05:36 PM
caspr2
Tourer

Get octane booster and go on, up here in Western NC we haven't had premium in about 3 weeks.
I sure hope this problem resolves itself soon!

Old 10-03-2008, 05:37 PM
Chula
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mine runs rough with the lower octane <91

Old 10-03-2008, 06:30 PM
bigoscycles
Cruiser

I ran 89 in mine when it was completly stock and never had any problems. My old man still runs it in his and has been for the last 15000 miles and not a minutes trouble.

Old 10-03-2008, 06:46 PM
Midgitfire
Cruiser

We haven't had any around here either, so I'm using regular. The research I did basically said the higher octane, the higher a spark temp needed to combust and as long as your motor doesn't spark knock theres no problem. I've heard no knockin' so I'm still ridin. Also, maybe I'm crazy, but, I swear I'm gettin' better MPG outta' the regular. And I always thought I did with the Springer too.

Old 10-03-2008, 06:48 PM
Bradley Jones
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

isnt there a post about this about three post down on the main page??? haha! I'm glad I don't have that problem here.

Old 10-03-2008, 06:54 PM
BlkSilverado
Cruiser

I carry a bottle of the HD fuel additive with me on trips just in case I can't get premium. It seems to work well, no major spark knock, and it gets me to the next fill-up at a station that hopefully has the good stuff.

Old 10-03-2008, 07:02 PM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Midgitfire
We haven't had any around here either, so I'm using regular. The research I did basically said the higher octane, the higher a spark temp needed to combust and as long as your motor doesn't spark knock theres no problem. I've heard no knockin' so I'm still ridin. Also, maybe I'm crazy, but, I swear I'm gettin' better MPG outta' the regular. And I always thought I did with the Springer too.
+1
You should only put in the highest octane that your engine requires. putting in higher octane then needed actually hurts the overall performance.
Does your owners manual call for premium?
The 2005 SE Fat Boy manual calls out for premium, so that is what I use. If all I could get was regular I would carry some octane booster with me and see how the engine runs on regular, before I bothered to add the booster.
Tom

Old 10-03-2008, 07:04 PM
RODEO
Outstanding HDF Member

I just got back from a business trip to North Carolina and gasoline is in short supply there for some reason, with some stations completely out and others with 20 minute lines. What I noticed is the pumps running slow so you need to be aware of picking up dirt or water and crap from their low fuel tanks. Might be best to filter the gas as it enters your tanks. High test was out there too....

Quick Reply: no premium fuel