Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear head pipe glowing.........

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2008, 07:33 AM
toolbox
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Rear head pipe glowing.........

Ok...here we go.....I have a 03' roadking with V & H true duals with thunder header slip-ons....all stock except a air cleaner kit and stage one download...a power commander has been added and the bike has been mapped 7 times with differant maps from the current map is a rinehart true dual/air cleaner kit and STOCK ecm to feed more fuel....The bike has no intake leaks, no exhaust leaks , no fuel pressure regulator problems, or fuel system problems after performing checks....the rear heat shield has turned TAN litterally and the pipe glows , NOT "GLOWS" but can see red in the dark while riding. This morning I noticed the chrome to be actually bubbling (really small bubbles.)? Is it just a BAD chrome job??? I bought the bike used and just cant find ANYTHING WORNG..IT runs GREAT for a stocker. I am about to try to richen the map in advanced mode in
5 % increments at cruise in the PCIII USB ......I was just curious on what everybodys opinions are...I spoke to the dyno tuner that we use (NO it hasnt been tuned/ NO MONEY) and he said it may be normal...the plugs show normal conditions / not lein not rich.....?????? THanks for everyones opinions.
TOOLBOX

Last edited by toolbox; 10-02-2008 at 07:35 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 10-02-2008, 08:00 PM
toolbox
Road Master

So nobody has ran into this problem? My front pipe is not glowin on the way home tonight but my rear is glowing still....I understand that the rear head runs hotter but ,,,geeze...I have done every test but a compression check ........didnt have a chance to richen the map either, working on everyone elses bikes ....LOL ...?? Was just looking to see if anyone had ran across this on there bikes....thanks for everyones time.
TOOLBOX

Old 10-02-2008, 08:16 PM
FLHXn
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've noticed my rear pipe used to glow on my old stock pipes when I'd let it idle in the garage with the lights out. I asked the tech at H.D. and he said they all do that. I think if you richen it up to somewhere around 13-13.5:1 air/fuel ratio (using some tuner and exhaust sniffer) I'm sure this would lower the temp to below the "glow" point. I'm sure this will hurt fuel economy but will make the motor last longer and be happier! Ride on!

Old 10-02-2008, 09:45 PM
toolbox
Road Master

Hey FLHXn thanks for the reply....I agree harley says the same thing and as we know the new harleys are LEIN tuned for epa reasons from the factory....I just figured a simple map would resolve it....7 maps later I am still trying to find a happy point. Oh well I will richen the map in my PCIII and see what happens...I really apreciate the input though.....
HAve a good day......
TOOLBOX