Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99' Wrecked Ultra Classic Won't Start

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008 | 02:11 PM
blkfxstc
|
Advanced
Default 99' Wrecked Ultra Classic Won't Start

I am helping out a friend of mine who just bought at auction a wrecked Ultra Classic. (99'). When you move the ignition switch to the run position the fuel pump never runs. We have checked the fuses and could not determine which relay was the fuel pump relay to check that as well. The motor will turn over put never even try's to start. I have also read that a damaged crank sensor could cause this problem too. I know what you are going to say, get a manual. I just have not had a chance to get one yet. Is there a CEL light will come on when the ignition is turned on? If so that never comes on either. Sounds like we may a major electrical problem on our hands. Any ideas of good starting point would be greatly appreciated. Most of the damage is at the back of the bike and it doesn't look like there is any engine damage. Is there an inertial switch on these bikes like there are on cars that shut off the fuel pump in the event of a crash?

Old 10-01-2008 | 02:21 PM
jdreed520
Road Warrior

The fuel pump relay is behind the battery..........and yes there is a tip over switch that shuts off the fuel pump. You could start by following the fuel pump wire from the tank back to the relay.

Old 10-01-2008 | 03:45 PM
blkfxstc
|
Advanced

Is that switch somewhere in between the pump and the relay? Sounds like a good place to start. Also we don't have the keys for it from the auction. Do you know if you can order keys from the VIN number? Thanks for the help so far.

Old 10-01-2008 | 05:21 PM
TheBagger
Road Master

You really should just get the service manual. There are many things that could cause the bike to not start. You need to check for any trouble codes either the complicated manual route or have someone with a scanner check them. I'm sure that there is a code thrown and once you have it you will be able to go from there.

You can get keys through a dealer, you will need the VIN and proof of ownership.

Old 10-01-2008 | 06:13 PM
hogdad
Road Captain

Not trying to be a smartass but are you sure its fuel injected? A carb bike makes no sound at all when you switch the ignition on. If it is pick up a year and model specific service manual.

Old 10-01-2008 | 06:39 PM
custom roadglide
Intermediate

sounds like the factory security is on.if you dont have the fob it will not run.

Old 10-01-2008 | 07:49 PM
blkfxstc
|
Advanced

Yes it is fuel injected and I don't know if security system is installed. The key light for the security is nowhere on the instrument cluster. No flashing key showing there is no fob present. I do need the manual for it for sure. Thanks for the replys so far. Will keep you posted as the progress