Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Friend hit a deer

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 11:37 AM
harley-jones
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Friend hit a deer

A good friend that rides his BMW everyday (doesn't even have a car) hit a small deer around dusk last night while coming home from work.

He broke his leg on one side and his ankle on the other. He goes in for Surgery this morning for some screws and plates.

He always wears all his gear so he came out a lot better than it might have been.

Guy, watch for them they are everywhere!

Old 10-01-2008, 12:16 PM
Wassup8687
Club Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear about your friends mishap.

I had a collision with a deer a couple of years ago. I'm always looking out for eyeballs at dusk or dawn. I was lucky I suffered no broken pieces on me.

Old 10-01-2008, 12:51 PM
BigdadeeR
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry to hear about him man. Glad he'll eventually be okay and hope he heals well. I lost two people I knew in these last two weeks so I feel ya man.

Ride safe.

Old 10-01-2008, 12:54 PM
harleyrider67
Novice

My prayers are with your buddy. And, that he heals and his surgery goes well.

Old 10-01-2008, 01:15 PM
HawgMan_renamed
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear about your friend brother, bad enough you got to watch out for the crazies in the four wheelers... the deer are a major hazard to. Hope gets up and around soon.

Old 10-01-2008, 02:43 PM
BigD64
Tourer

One of my Bros hit a deer a couple years back at Americade. Fooking thing flew about 20 feet in the air and landed next to his wingman scared the p@$$ outa him. Bro was able to keep the bike up. It was a 1994 FLHTP, Toaster dash, windshield and light nacelle took the brunt of the hit. Now he has a Deer head with a red ring and line through it painted on the fender. Wish your bro a speedy recovery.

Old 10-01-2008, 02:48 PM
harley-jones
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Thanks Guys! I will show him this thread when he is feeling better.

Old 10-01-2008, 02:50 PM
sknyfats
Road Captain

Deer are the biggest fear for me up here in North East Ohio. I've seen 3 heards in the past week off to the sides of the road.

I consider myself somewhat fortunate in that, having been a hunter, I can recognize the types of places deer generally like to travel & cross roads at. When I approach them, I kick down the speed, and make a bit of noise with some rev's. I believe this has actually helped me. I've done that, not having yet seen a deer - and then, out of the corner of my eye - see'em turn around and book back the other way. Maybe they were about to cross in front of me - maybe not - but they didn't.

Other piece of advice is to maintain your path & speed if/when you see them jump in front of you. Chances are your timing will be close - but you won't hit'em. If you attempt to avoid - you risk running off the road, dumping it over, etc. I've heard that those who've hit them head on fare better than those who attempted to avoid & wrecked.

And so far, there is no scientifically proven method to keep them out of your path. This includes the "deer whistles" etc. Of course it may make ya feel better, but plenty of people with deer whistels on their vehicles have slammed into deer.

Old 10-01-2008, 04:22 PM
gilbos440rt
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I agree with sknyfats, dont try to miss them let them miss you, I would jump on the brakes and try to stop straight if given time though

Old 10-01-2008, 04:29 PM
MetalSpike
Road Warrior
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Sorry to hear about your friend. Praying he has a speedy and complete recovery.

Quick Reply: Friend hit a deer