Touring Models Road King, Road King Custom, Road King Classic, Road Glide, Street Glide, Electra Glide, Electra Glide Classic, and Electra Glide Ultra Classic bikes.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Friend hit a deer

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2008, 06:03 PM
hogdad
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

Deer are bad. Bears are worse. here is my Lincoln Towncar after last sat nights Towncar Vs Bear mishap. 8600.00 in damage. Guy on a goldwing 20 seconds ahead of me... imagine that.

Attached Thumbnails Friend hit a deer-towncar-vs-bear-012.jpg   Friend hit a deer-towncar-vs-bear-002.jpg  
Old 10-01-2008, 06:08 PM
hogdad
Road Captain
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

By the way my two front airbags went off scaring the chit out of me the wife and my 3 young children. I am glad the side airbags didn't go off also or the car would have been totalled. I am very lucky I didn't see it because i may have swerved and rolled the car. 930 Pm foggy like a mother and light rain on unlit roadway. The guy on the Goldwing will never know how close he came to buying the farm.

Old 10-01-2008, 06:44 PM
Neggy ZRXOA 5248
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 821 Likes on 462 Posts

A moderator over at the ZRX Owners Association,who was leading a visiting OA member back out to the main road after giving him a place to sleep overnight while was transporting a new bike back home and was killed over the weekend when a HORSE ran in front of his Concours. His daughter was riding on the bike with him and was med flighted out with a broken femur. Needless to say we are heartbroken over at the ZRXOA over Gary's passing and the injury to his 11 year old daughter. The poor guy that was riding with him still had to ride from the accident scene in western Kentucky to Atlanta after witnessing his friend die in front of him.

I just want to remind everyone to be on high alert since Deer and Moose are moving about at Dawn and Dusk, and there is danger around us at all times.

Please keep Gary and his family in your prayers. The funeral is friday.

Old 10-01-2008, 07:01 PM
Jim Dawson
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

I hate to hear these stories.

I wish everyone would take the short time required to put your location in your profile so we have an idea where these things are happening. We don't have bear or moose around here, but I'd like to know where I can anticipate seeing them in my travels.

Old 10-01-2008, 07:14 PM
mike5511
Elite HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a great fear of animals in the roadway and avoid riding when that is likely unless necessary. Deer are the main problem around here, although we have elk around the Buffalo River as well as black bear, cows, horses etc. BUT THEN, I just had a guy in a car, obvioulsy watching me in his rear view mirror, waiting for me to look off for just a second, stop to make a left turn. When I looked back it was too late!! Just for the record, I think there are guys like this in every part of the counrty!!!

Old 10-01-2008, 07:40 PM
RDKingRider
Extreme HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First prayers to all for your losses. Wife, son, and I out last evening in the city limits and a small heard of 6or7jumped out in front of wife who was in lead. She got stopped in time, as the son and I did too. We had a oncoming car who bumped one of them, we watched it limp off. No damage to his car. We rode about 40 mins and coming back into our street and be darn if Bambi didn't jump out in front of wife again. She seen it and had slowed down so once again missed it. So yeah everyone they are movin with the cooler temps and the time of year.

Old 10-01-2008, 08:16 PM
2glides
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I live in the white-tail deer capitol of Illinois. Hunters come from all over the country to hunt here.

This morning I was running a little late and got behind the school bus that picks up the kids in town and goes down the highway making several stops along the way. No problem, I think, I'll just pass him on the big hill a couple of miles down the road before his first stop. As I pulled even with the back of the bus as I was passing him I see his brake lights come on. Hmmm, I wonder why he'd have his brakes on, I thought. Well, just as I got even with the front wheel of the bus a trophy sized buck runs across the road in front of me going from right to left. Man, he couldn't have been ten or fifteen feet away from me and the front of that bus. Talk about your pucker factor! Thats as close as I want to come.

I came real close to hitting a dead one laying on the road a few years ago in the dark, that would have been just as bad as hitting a live one, maybe worse. We call it deer season here when the farmers start picking corn, it drives them all out of the fields onto the roads and it's about to start soon. Gotta be carefull out there.

Old 10-01-2008, 08:20 PM
Chula
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear these stories. Prayers for all.